OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Just got done ordering the Cee Bailey reverse curve 23" windshield for my FJR.........hope it's all they say it is.....too windy and cold to get out today, hoping for tomorrow...........ff.........and Chuck's absolutely right about how nice that FJR really is.
Yes I have the Cee Bailey shield and it does what I want it to. The STOCK shield SUCKED. With the Cee Bailey I can ride with my face shield up, Which I like to do, of course applying a liberal amount of Sun Screen to the nose and face.

Bike
'15 FJR ES
FWIW the Cee Bailey Sport, which is the smallest of the available Cee Baileys for the Gen3 is definitely wider at the bottom. I was impressed with the extra wind blocked from hitting my hands. I had been spoiled by the mirrors on my ST1300 blocking the wind from my hands.

It is also worth noting that the stock windshield on your Gen3s and wind management in general is much better than the Gen2 bikes. When Dad rode my bike the first time he told me, "You could actually keep this shield and not suffer if you wanted to!" We went through 3 shields before we found the right Cee Bailey for Dad's Gen2.

This may give you some idea of the width difference, the OEM and the Cee Bailey Sport overlaid:

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Went for a 200 mile spin and decided I really like running 40 lbs of air in the front.....4 more than the Yammy recommendation. This on Bridgestone T30GT. Got the chicken strips down to a respectable size today. Life is good............ff

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Thought that Friday 13th was not a good day to start a long term relationship, so today is the day :D

2015_03_0012-1.jpg

Last edited:

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Well you surely did. I know you had talked about it. Can't wait to see it at RanchSTOC. Time to change your avatar?

Raj_Zin

AKA Steve
Bike
FJR1300A
STOC #
With tomorrow's weather forecast looking promising for my first ride of '15 (55 and sunny, light winds) I went out to my carport where the FJR spends the winter to get it ready. Checked the air pressure in tires (pleasantly surprised that both were close to required pressure); gave it quick sponge bath to get the accumulated dust off; put this years insurance and registration in the glove box and put the tag on the plate; and tried to start the engine. I don't keep it on a battery tender - no electricity available out there. But the engine turned over twice and started right up after sitting since November. Awesome.
-Steve

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Moved my bars back and down-inward a little? Whatever, straightens the hand wrist angle to a really natural position just like my VFR bars were.......rode a 100 or so twisty miles in a brisk (30mph) gusty wind and had a ball flying the FJR....seems to ride better than when I put it away last winter.....or maybe I'm enjoying dementia more........ff

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
Chuck's garage is way to neat. It's shameful to see a workshop with no projects in process.

Anyway, I did the valve inspection on the S10. What a pita. I stretched it out to 51K and it was due. Shims were required on one intake and all exhaust valves. Only two valves were at or past limits but I took the time to get everything set mid spec so I should not need to do this again for another 50k miles. Yamaha's engineers must like to figure close tolerances on fit of parts. Major pain to get the valve cover off. Without zip ties, setting valve timing is nearly impossible. And it got new iridium spark plugs.

I'm waiting on Motion Pro to get problems with my sync tool figured out. Seems that the water based fluid that was used in my unit was problematic. 2 of 4 tubes are blocked with blue crystaline deposits rendering the tool useless. They want to send me new, oil based fluid. What good is that when the ports are blocked up? I will be asking for a replacement unit.

During dis-assembly, I removed a total of 3 dead squabs (birds), one of which was in the air filter chamber. I've never hit so many birds on anything else like the Tenere. It seems to be a bird magnet whether they bounce off my legs, shoulders, windshield or get sucked into nether regions of the bike. I don't think that the Audubon society likes the Tenere, but I do.

I've also re-greased the steering stem bearings and swing arm components. Initially, Yamaha was really sparse on their greasing at factory. Anyone owning one of these needs to get it done in the first 10k-20k miles or there will be problems. Once I got into it, I doped it up really heavy. No shortage of grease this inspection but more was added and it should be more than ok until another 50k. Shifter linkage was greased, again, so that is good for another 10k-15k.

Next will be a front tire, new cam chain tensioner some wash and wax and everything should be ready for spring. I'm looking forward to getting it out and checking to see if it runs any better. Still lovin' it - not even desiring anything else other than to sell off the ST1300.

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Chuck's garage is way to neat. It's shameful to see a workshop with no projects in process.

Contrary to what you all think, projects do take place in my garage. (see post 53 of this thread) but the best times and projects are those when I can work with my Daughter on her bike. Other wise I am too busy Riding. Rather ride then wrench.;)

SAM_0890.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
'15 FJR ES
I wish this forum had a "Like" button, Chuck is making me very jealous.

I gave Scar a bath and then rode it to a wedding reception. A whopping 70 mile round trip but at least it was better than just riding it back and forth to work every night. Which of course I did tonight anyway...

Top Bottom