What Stuff Where?

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
After two camping trips this year... so far, I realized on the second trip that 80% of my gear was unneeded. To that end I ask you where you put the stuff you need on the bike. @Sadlsor, you grabbed a 30L tail bag this year yes? I was wondering if your sleeping bag fits inside.

I use the right bag for cooking and such, the left bag for gloves, hats, mittens and the like. The top box has some over flow gear, maps, mosquito repellent, espresso machine(not kidding), and unless unneeded things. Tail bag is chair, sleeping bag/mattress, and clothes. Tail bag topper is tent, poles, bike cover, axe, shovel. saw.

I'm trying to reduce and repack smart so I thought to ask all of you.

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I bring a jet boil, a small one, and instant coffee. That cuts things down a bit. I don't pack food most of the time as I can always drive by some store and get something and it keeps the critters from digging into your bike looking for beef jerky.

Right bag - Clothes, tools, gloves, bike cover.
Left bag - chair, tire repair and pump, rain gear, sandals or shoes
Top box - Toiletries bag, jet boil, coffee, Heated Jacket, container w/extra audio cords or phone charging stuff, tablet

Backseat Waterproof Bag #1 - Air Mattress, Sleeping Bag, shower towel, camp pillow
Backseat Waterproof Bag #2 - Tent

Tank bag (sometimes or contents will be in top box) - camera, flashlight, cap light, tent light, Advil, Aleve, eye drops, chap stick, packets of eyeglass cleaners.

That's it.. works for 3 days or 3 weeks.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
After two camping trips this year... so far, I realized on the second trip that 80% of my gear was unneeded. To that end I ask you where you put the stuff you need on the bike. @Sadlsor, you grabbed a 30L tail bag this year yes? I was wondering if your sleeping bag fits inside.
I actually have a 45l Givi topbox, but I did buy a Mosko Moto 40l for the GS/A... why so big?
To ride back from CA later; I have no other luggage for this bike yet.
But yes, this 40l tail bag WILL swallow my compressed sleeping bag.
On the ST, the left bag is for a tool roll, raingear, electric jacket & gloves on occasion, gloves and toboggan / beanie / took if necessary. Right side for camp clothes, towels, toiletries, one-burner camp stove with COFFEE (not instant, @Mellow - a man's got to know is limitations), topbox for chargers and cameras, and the tent and camp chair (if included) strapped to the pillion seat.

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I bring a jet boil, a small one, and instant coffee. That cuts things down a bit. I don't pack food most of the time as I can always drive by some store and get something and it keeps the critters from digging into your bike looking for beef jerky.

Right bag - Clothes, tools, gloves, bike cover.
Left bag - chair, tire repair and pump, rain gear, sandals or shoes
Top box - Toiletries bag, jet boil, coffee, Heated Jacket, container w/extra audio cords or phone charging stuff, tablet

Backseat Waterproof Bag #1 - Air Mattress, Sleeping Bag, shower towel, camp pillow
Backseat Waterproof Bag #2 - Tent

Tank bag (sometimes or contents will be in top box) - camera, flashlight, cap light, tent light, Advil, Aleve, eye drops, chap stick, packets of eyeglass cleaners.

That's it.. works for 3 days or 3 weeks.
You are my minimalist hero Joe, only Tom P can carry less and survive. I think he uses a piece of old boot leather in the morning for coffee and again at night for supper. It was your inspiration last year that has sent me down this path.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
You are my minimalist hero Joe, only Tom P can carry less and survive. I think he uses a piece of old boot leather in the morning for coffee and again at night for supper. It was your inspiration last year that has sent me down this path.
Lol... well, you've ridden more this year than I have in a long time so that's awesome.

If Tom can't roll up his sleeping bag, air mattress, tent and whiskey in one roll he ain't taking it. His USMC cap always stays handy :thumb:

TPadden

Tom Padden
I pack the same for a weekend or a month: like Mellow my bags are pretty much packed standard no matter which bike:
2 dry bags on passenger seat one for all camping gear one for clothes and toiletries, left saddlebag tools, bike cover, rain gear, electrics, jacket liner (usually not opened at stops), right saddlebag travel stuff that I use at stops, computer, chargers, hat, etc, tail trunk is for food, beverages, and my junk drawer. Right saddlebag usually is less than 1/2 full or close to full if it's 1/2 size for muffler cut out.

I always have just an empty cup for coffee and rely on Monster, camping companions or total strangers to provide the caffeine. :)

Tom

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
I put the stuff I'll need for an emergency - flat tire kit, jump starter, first aid kit, etc. in my right pannier - the side that would be away from traffic. Rain gear, when I carry it (not often) goes on top. Left pannier is for clothes and stuff I'd likely need when i stop in a parking lot. Top case for often used things - sunglasses, sunscreen, tape, pens, maps, paper, windshield rags & polish, tie downs, etc. Most tools go in a 4" PVC tube strapped inboard of the side cases (my VStrom).

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I put the stuff I'll need for an emergency - flat tire kit, jump starter, first aid kit, etc. in my right pannier - the side that would be away from traffic. Rain gear, when I carry it (not often) goes on top. Left pannier is for clothes and stuff I'd likely need when i stop in a parking lot. Top case for often used things - sunglasses, sunscreen, tape, pens, maps, paper, windshield rags & polish, tie downs, etc. Most tools go in a 4" PVC tube strapped inboard of the side cases (my VStrom).
How many nights camping can you do with that load out?

TPadden

Tom Padden
I put the stuff I'll need for an emergency - flat tire kit, jump starter, first aid kit, etc. in my right pannier - the side that would be away from traffic. Rain gear, when I carry it (not often) goes on top. Left pannier is for clothes and stuff I'd likely need when i stop in a parking lot.
My saddle bags are packed the opposite because when I open the left saddlebag stuff ALWAYS falls out (down side on the sidestand) and if I need it I plan all my emergency stop parking for an underpass, donut bakery, or Subway. The parked bike really won't provide any protection from traffic. :rofl1:

Tom

Last edited:

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
On the seat, big chair cuz I like to be comfortable sitting at camp. Tent behind chair (just started doing that this year), stuff sack with 2 sleeping bags a sheet a feather pillow and an air mattress with air pump. I carry a 40' bag and a fleece bag. That with the sheet works from 38 to 105 night temps.

Right side case, tennis shoes, ground tarp, liter water bottle, battery powered fan, heated jacket and gloves, misc.

Left sidecase small suitcase with clothes and tooth paste toothbrush meds. Raingear rain fly. fleece jacket.

Trunk, towel, cleaning towels for bike and helmet, shave kit bag full of misc, ipad and chargers, liter of water, powder, bug spray, bag of subway, hats, 2 or more pairs of gloves, junk, all the gear I take off because it's too hot.

This years long trip had a 2 liter of pop and 2 liter filled with water over the rear pegs as I desert dry camped a lot.

I just bought a 40L dry bag for the rear seat. It will replace the aged sleeping bag sack.

IMG_1854.jpeg

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
My saddle bags are packed the opposite because when I open the left saddlebag stuff ALWAYS falls out (down side on the sidestand) and if I need it I plan all my emergency stop parking for an underpass, donut bakery, or Subway. :rofl1:

Tom
That's why I did this:
Cut a template out of cardboard, then the final solution from an old dog crate:

IMG_20220122_084735.jpg

IMG_20220122_084716.jpg

Then, some plastic hooks and canopy bungees from walmart, need 2 part epoxy for them to stick to the plastic.

IMG_20211113_052551.jpg

IMG_20211113_052556.jpg

IMG_20220122_085332.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
How many nights camping can you do with that load out?
If I'm going camping, I put other stuff in a duffel that sits across my VStrom's pillion seat. I tie it down to the top of the panniers. This spring I replaced my large panniers with the Tusk smaller cans. By other stuff, my duffel holds a tent, super lightwt cot, camp chair, etc. - The big heavy stuff.

I could stay out camping w/ my bike loaded as long as I wanted...though I'd have to find a laundramat every 4 days or so, and a place to shower and wash up at least that often - preferably more frequently. I don't care about other folks, if I can smell me, I want to wash up.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
My saddle bags are packed the opposite because when I open the left saddlebag stuff ALWAYS falls out (down side on the sidestand) and if I need it I plan all my emergency stop parking for an underpass, donut bakery, or Subway. The parked bike really won't provide any protection from traffic. :rofl1:Tom
My idea is to get as far away from the traffic as possible. I'd prefer my fundament was not hanging out in the road when foraging for a tire kit. If someone is going to cream my bike, being on the inside of the shoulder gives me a small but nevertheless real chance to escape becoming a bug on his windshield.

Tusk Panniers for my VStrom open from the top, not like a clamshell ST type.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Anything I want easy access to during the ride goes in the topcase: drink, snacks, other gloves, etc.

Anything I might need in case of issues goes in the right pannier: rainsuit, jacket, tools, first-aid kit, etc.

Anything I know I won't need until I get where I'm going goes in the left pannier: clothes, shoes, etc.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
After two camping trips this year... so far, I realized on the second trip that 80% of my gear was unneeded.

80% really? From your great trip pixies it looked like you were getting pretty good usage of what you were lugging around.

What did you flag as not needed?

There is also a fine line between "not needed" and "not used": I am glad I never needed my emergency medical kit but still pack it!

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
80% really? From your great trip pixies it looked like you were getting pretty good usage of what you were lugging around.

What did you flag as not needed?

There is also a fine line between "not needed" and "not used": I am glad I never needed my emergency medical kit but still pack it!
Might have been a slight exaggeration, 75% though for sure :biggrin:.

Because the last trip saw snow and desert, I was over packed being unsure of what I would really need. I had 4 pairs of gloves, one heated, one hot and two in the middle, I could probably, normally skip the heated and one middle. I pulled out my chair twice in 25 days and I carry a small 3 legged stool, that also came out twice. I carry a small camp pot to heat water, jet boil and an alcohol type stove, I used the jet boil daily. Three days of warm and cold clothes, plus what I had on, I tended to rotate 3 things, those being merino wool and I was very satisfied and neither hot nor cold. My riding suit is water proof :rolleyes:, I had a backup Frogg Tog and a rain jacket for camp sites. Shovel, never used it save for a weight, saw, never, axe, as a hammer for tent pegs. I could go on, essentially I was carrying light, medium, and heavy gear for who knows what. Light, yes light, I had a clip on the trunk, two handhelds, two head lamps, two tent string lights, man oh man this is sounding OCD. We didn't even get to the junk drawer yet. Six different water carrying bags, and a laundry machine bag thingy, sheesh. (The laundry bag thing was cool though, I needed it and it worked great.)

It started to come down to how simple can I camp tonight, it made most of the kit unnecessary. Some of it was I had it so I'll use it, but I didn't need it. The first aid kit stays on the bike always, same with the tire repair, tools and pump. I don't like to go to restaurants when I'm touring so the short list has to include the jet boil.

Need:
Tent
Sleeping bag, mattress w/ air pump
Toiletries
Some clothes, hat
Heated jacket
Jet boil, fork, spoon, knife, cup
Coffee, instant oatmeal, canned stew
A light
Axe/hammer ?
Cleaner for visor, shield, glasses
Mosquito spray

Wow, I had so much more junk on the bike than this. The bike, rider, and kit weighed in at 500 kg, I'm 75kg, that's a lot of gear lol. Hopefully next month I'll try "speed camping" with the minimum and see how it goes. It's not like I'm traveling through Outer Mongolia or something, there is a C store close almost everywhere if I get jammed up.
IMG_4022.jpeg

And a big thank you to all the comments here so far.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
I'm similar to Willsmotorcycle, I pack very light for camping. Since most of my trips are 3-4 days max and I typically have stores along way to pick up food. I carry:
  • tent
  • sleeping bag w/thin foam pad
  • toiletries
  • personal 1st-aid kit
  • space blanket for warmth if needed.
  • change or 2 of clothes, rain-coat/woobie
  • pre-made meals in tupperwares (mostly sandwiches/bagels)
  • MREs for dinner so I don't have to carry cooking gear
  • gallon of water in quart-containers, for me and bike if needed
  • alcohol burner and tin-cup to make hot-water in morning
  • instant expresso
  • flashlight & batteries & charger
  • phone & chargers & extra cords
  • tool-kit with sufficient tools for flats, chain-replacement, electrical stuff (bulbs, wires, meter), jumper-cables, lithium jump-pack, spray-cleaner & rags
  • 1-gal plastic petrol can
On long 1-day trips, I'll take my time and practice mechanical break-downs like flats or chain issues. I'll even pitch tent and set up camp in my backyard at end of trip pretending I've got another day or 2 afterwards. Since I've put so many miles on my commuter, it was natural just to take it camping. :) Most of my 2-3 day trips were between Santa Barbara and Oregon to visit my brother. Sometimes stop off in San Jose to stay with my dad. Then it was Phoenix to Oregon and back, usually 3-4 days each way. Take scenic PCH route and camp out along way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom