What Stuff Where?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I pretty much pack the same for a weekend or 10 days. I make coffee in the AM and maybe instant grits or oatmeal so no cooking gear beyond my ditty bag with MSR stove, a coffee cup, and a small pot that everything but the cup fits in. Enough of that, everybody has already covered gear and places to put it. I leave the topcase mostly empty. I use for my helmet and changes of liners or gloves, maps.

I wanted to mention the way I got down to two saddlebags and two drybags on the back seat. After a trip I sort everything into three piles. One pile was stuff I used and is definitely going with me next time. The second pile I didn't use but might on a trip and want to take next time. Third pile wasn't used and I can buy it on the road if a situation arises and it's needed. After a few times of this I pretty much got down to what I wanted. A guy that flew around the world to ride rented excursion motorcycles told me about the three pile culling method.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Because the last trip saw snow and desert, I was over packed being unsure of what I would really need. I had 4 pairs of gloves, one heated, one hot and two in the middle........etc, etc,etc,etc.....
Unbelievable packing.

Had to go back to your 'Sea to Sea to Sea' pixies thinking I might have missed you were pulling a trailer!

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
You can do like.......many, get at least four days out of a pair of underwear:

Day 1: Right side out frontwards
Day 2: Inside out frontwards
Day 3: Right side out backwards
Day 4: Inside out backwards.

Tor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
That's too complicated, by far.
How do you remember which day it is?
If you're riding for 4 days, that sounds like a vacation.
And who takes a calendar on vacation?

• Haha
Reactions: Tor
OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I decided to start with empty space. I put the must have on the bike the way it was, then took it all off and started over with what where.

Old way
70879162180__D3F233E0-16F0-46FB-B4AA-4F236FFC5EE4.jpeg

New way
IMG_5039.jpeg

Wow what a difference and all the same stuff is there including two gallons of water, gray bag back seat.
Old 40L is the new green 30L, the 25 liter and tent poles went in the top box. Left pannier will be all but empty... for now.

Bike
R1200rt
I decided to start with empty space. I put the must have on the bike the way it was, then took it all off and started over with what where.

Old way
70879162180__D3F233E0-16F0-46FB-B4AA-4F236FFC5EE4.jpeg

New way
IMG_5039.jpeg

Wow what a difference and all the same stuff is there including two gallons of water, gray bag back seat.
Old 40L is the new green 30L, the 25 liter and tent poles went in the top box. Left pannier will be all but empty... for now.
2 gallons of water? You can get water most anywhere on the road. You need some for stops then get some before you hit your destination. But lugging 2 gallons across the country, a bit much.

Da Bear

Ask me about my cat...
Bike
'03 ST1300
Maybe I spent too many years back packing; I dunno. But with all that storage space on the bike, I just don't think I'd need to strap anything to the back seat, except maybe a sleeping bag...

I have options what to put where due to modifications however im still working out what is the one simple answer for all situations.
Also various on 2 up or solo

Mods: 10mm ply plate replaces topbox If 2up then large bag goes on that. Lower rear shelf below the number plate. carries a smaller drybag with tent inside with a extra numberplate on the back

Backseat bags: eurohike transit 90L bag about £40. recently got the same but in 120L about £60. both are very waterpoof if packed full
Tents: decathlon blackout 2 man frame tent £130 super quick setup lower shelf backseat bag. Arpenaz 4.1 blackout £200 walk in tent
Bed: timber ridge metal frame foldup cot goes in topbox. 2up double airbed with fleece blanket backseat bag
Bedding: 15tog down duvet folded solo open 2up backseat bag
chair: fold up pack small bucket seat. £30 amazon

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
One of our IBA members brought this to our annual get together where the IBA hotel was discussed as well as other folks approach to needing to stop and rest!

I thought it a great idea, but felt the make and strike camp times could be a bit excessive when on an IBA ride, that and the cost!

TPadden

Tom Padden
I did Bivy camping for a couple years; but once Dinky pointed out that there was little point to even carrying the Bivy on a motorcycle when all you needed was a ballcap and mat ... it was back to tenting. ;)

Tom

Last edited:

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
I actually have a 45l Givi topbox, but I did buy a Mosko Moto 40l for the GS/A... why so big?
To ride back from CA later; I have no other luggage for this bike yet.
But yes, this 40l tail bag WILL swallow my compressed sleeping bag.
On the ST, the left bag is for a tool roll, raingear, electric jacket & gloves on occasion, gloves and toboggan / beanie / took if necessary. Right side for camp clothes, towels, toiletries, one-burner camp stove with COFFEE (not instant, @Mellow - a man's got to know is limitations), topbox for chargers and cameras, and the tent and camp chair (if included) strapped to the pillion seat.
Have the same Mosko, but the 30 L version, that usually sits on the rear seat. Also have the bag that is mollyed on top of it that I keep the hydration bag in.

Attachments

Top Bottom