jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
241792573.JPG 241793725.JPG

YJ07NZZ no longer exists. I don't know what happened to it, but I'm glad that I exchanged it for my present bike before that happened !

241791429.JPG 241790229.JPG

Tank bag, panniers, top box and two waterproof stuff bags strapped to grab rails.

Tank Bag - dragonfly parrafin stove, fuel bottle and spare fuel. Eating, cooking stuff and food / coffee for one day.
Top Box. - Duvet / (now 2 x single down blankets and thin cotton sheets. Spare sleeping bag. Picnic blanket not shown. Extra jacket, gloves, towel, brolly, stuff for easy access.
Pannier - 1 each for clothes, sandals, bathroom stuff, warm hat, thin coat.
Left stuff bag - tent
Right stuff bag - 2 air / foam mattresses, tent poles, waterproof PVC groundsheets, pegs.

Saddle: 1 rider, 1 pillion.

View (sometimes I forget to pack this).

Scourie Reduced.jpg

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
cofee (NOT INSTANT)

Cold brew instant is convenient if you need a quick kick on the go, drop some in a cup of cold water and it's ready in seconds and you are ready to roll again. A small jar in the tank bag does the trick.

But what's this noise I hear, is that you @Sadlsor, puking? Sorry about that!

1703175852044.png

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
241792573.JPG 241793725.JPG

YJ07NZZ no longer exists. I don't know what happened to it, but I'm glad that I exchanged it for my present bike before that happened !

241791429.JPG 241790229.JPG

Tank bag, panniers, top box and two waterproof stuff bags strapped to grab rails.

Tank Bag - dragonfly parrafin stove, fuel bottle and spare fuel. Eating, cooking stuff and food / coffee for one day.
Top Box. - Duvet / (now 2 x single down blankets and thin cotton sheets. Spare sleeping bag. Picnic blanket not shown. Extra jacket, gloves, towel, brolly, stuff for easy access.
Left stuff bag - tent
Right stuff bag - 2 air / foam mattresses, tent poles, waterproof PVC groundsheets, pegs.

View (sometimes I forget to pack this).

Scourie Reduced.jpg
Very nice tent. Not sure who makes it, but its similar to the one I use.

IMG_0915 (2).JPG

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #

Left stuff bag - tent

Still stock shock or swapped to carry that load?

Did you find a way to open the panniers with the stuff bags strapped on?

Where do you keep your electronics (or are you disconnecting while on the go?)?

Great tent by the way, but probably easier to set up with pillion help!

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
The grey tent I showed in my earlier post is a Robens Black Shrimp. They don't make it any more, but we replaced it with this Robens Voyager 2Ex - similar but smaller, with the advantage of a front opening flap as well as a side opening. Excellent, less bulky to carry and a tad lighter. But whoever thought red guys was a good idea has never had to negotiate them at dusk. They disappear against the green of the grass.

Voyager 2ex.jpg

The Voyager 3Ex is the same design as the green 2ex above, but larger - about the same size as the black shrimp in the first images. Condensation is never a problem - yes the inside of any synthetic fly gets damp, but the airflow and mesh inner work together to keep the inner bone dry. It has stood up well up to all weathers. The green makes wild camping less noticeable, although the presence of a motorbike with reflective strips may negate that advantage ! It is very difficult to see at night, even in car headlights, so I tend to park the bike alongside a sutiable distance away and either surround the area with light stones or tie bits of white cloth to the guylines if we are on a commercial campsite like the one above. Or - hijack one of the picnic tables and put that on the opening side of the tent and the bike on the other side. Easy to pitch - even solo - and can be done flysheet first - a must have for English weather, although when camping we tend to stay put if it is raining, and move on when we can pack it away dry. That means we can leave inner and outer linked together and pitch it all on one.

All synthetic tents 'grow' when they get wet. They pitch perfectly in the dry, with hardly a wrinkle to be seen. The wrinkles on the tent in the photo are due to morning dew. The black bottom of this tent has a draw cord which allows the bottom of the fly to be raised to give more ventilation for the hot days.

Like most modern groundsheets - they are not waterproof !! The Robens claim 10,000 Hydrostatic head - which is much better than most - but the damp still seeps through under the bit you lie on. Hence the PVC groundsheets cut to size to prevent ground damp from rising. One for under the tent's groundsheet - you have to make sure that it is tucked under the tent's groundsheet, otherwise when it rains it collects the rain water and you end up with a pool underneath you !! The other PVC sheet is for the opening - a dry place to take off boots and gear before entering the tent proper. Plenty of room to stow gear, and enough ventilation to run the parrafin MSR Dragonfly stove. Brilliant burner (also works on petrol) - very rapid - similar principle to the old primus stoves - but with design refinements.

Robens website: Tents - buy your tent from Robens here

My partner reckons that 'we' are too old for camping these days, so I very reluctantly gave the green tent to my granddaughter who is growing up enjoying outdoor life and activities.
'I' am still only 21 of course, and reckon that there is at least one long camping tour left in me. It'd be a solo one though. Whatever, I'd go for the same tent again. And take a chair.

Edit - I didn't answer @MidLife's other questions:

Still stock shock or swapped to carry that load?
Stock shock. We are just on the limit of maximum load. Pre-load set almost to the maximum, and damping set to avoid the boing-boing. It handles well after the first mile. The first mile is me getting used to the riding position with the tank bag, and the extra stopping distance. After that, I'm tuned in to the extra weight. Most of our mileage is done like this anyway - which might be why I get only 5,000 miles from my rear tyre.

Did you find a way to open the panniers with the stuff bags strapped on?
I try to avoid having to, but it is possible. Since the tent is strapped tight to the grab rail, there isn't much weight on the pannier itself and there is enough lift available to get the key in and open the handle - but it's more awkward than I would like, so anything that we need to have handy goes into the top box. There is an amazing amount of space in the lid of the top box after the bottom part is filled level to the top of the grey plastic. So plenty of room for spare jackets, bags etc.

Where do you keep your electronics (or are you disconnecting while on the go?)?
I take a phone and usually have my ipad. I have a 2 Amp charger in the carpet floor of the top box, the bottom half of which protrudes into the deep groove under the carpet. That allows me to charge phones and ipad on the move if I want. The power comes from the bike's battery, turned on by relay when the key is set to ignition (not accessories). Power is fed from a cable that emerges from the front lower part of the top box and plugs in under the pillion seat. Its crude and untidy - but its exactly the same way that the Honda Spoiler tail/brake light gets its power.

I also keep a spare cheap phone with no SIM card in the top box - but apparently it works for emergency services without one. I wish it was possible to have PAYG SIM cards that do not expire if you don't top up - like they used to. But I can swap the SIM card over if my normal phone gets broken. If I can get to it.
Satnavs, heated gear, video cameras and charger are all wired in to come on with ignition.

Last edited:
Bike
05 ST1300
I used to bring way more stuff than I needed, so after a couple trips that I went on and saw what I didn’t use between the time I left and the time I got home, I’ve got it narrowed down to this:
Left hard bag, all my bike stuff including tools, spare parts, plexi glass cleaner and rags,
rain gear and heated gear
Right hard bag, 5 or 6 t-shirts, as many pair socks, 2 pr pants, 1 sweater, shaving kit incl bug spray
Top box (I have the large Givi) Rain boots, rain gloves, cooking tools, try to keep the top box light,
lots of spare room in here, it’s my place for when I buy things on the road, usually consumables
Large bag (40-50l?) on the back of the seat, all my camping gear plus water, pop, whiskey,
Tank bag, chargers, gps when not using it, phone, antacid, another place for odds n sodd,
mostly keep it there to lean on while I’m riding, it has a clear top that I can put notes in and I can see them while riding,
I usually have a towel or sweater or jacket in there mostly for paddingIMG_1561.jpeg

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
But what's this noise I hear, is that you @Sadlsor, puking? Sorry about that!
No, the noise is not from me throwing up.
But if it seems the sun has disappeared, or you see a shadow, that's me turning up my nose -- which may block the light.

John's Robens tent in the pictures reminds me of the Lone Rider model, with the bike garage.
That's what I thought it was, before reading his text.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
John's Robens tent in the pictures reminds me of the Lone Rider model, with the bike garage.
I know the one that you mean, but no, these are much smaller, less than a metre tall. Barely enough room to sit up at the tallest end. There is no way that I want the bike anywhere near fall-over distance when I am sleeping. The wind only has to shift round in the night and hit it side on and they go over very easily. That is the only thing that stops me from heading off with just a lean-to tarp, like Larry's offering post #35 or thereabouts.

Clearly it doesn't rain at night where that photo was taken - with the groundsheet underneath the bike ready to funnel any rain water to form an embarassing wet patch on the sleeper's jeans.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hey, great tips, thanks. I'm a Canadian, going to do a 7 week trip from Vancouver, Canada, starting late April 2024, to Tennessee, West Virginia then Kentucky. If anyone has any advice, it would be welcomed!
Welcome to the site, check the events section and you might also meet up with some folks, not sure if you can make the GA Spring Rally as it's when you are starting out but the TWO campground is great.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Hey, great tips, thanks. I'm a Canadian, going to do a 7 week trip from Vancouver, Canada, starting late April 2024, to Tennessee, West Virginia then Kentucky. If anyone has any advice, it would be welcomed!
Here, I have a couple.
1. Don't run out of gas.
2. Don't fall off and break any ribs.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes - I thought that when I saw the image when we got home. o_O He's filling a water bottle.

And if that sounds even more strange, there is a freshwater tap there. That doesn't mean he is using it though - there's also a drain.

This is a commony used campsite near Bellingham - less than a mile from the Pennine way, not far fromt he Scottish border with England, and is often used by travellers to and from Scotland.
It was here I was standing in shorts and tee-shirt, having just taken these photos, that there was an odd grey cloud in the distance about 3 m above the grass. I thought it was a puff of smoke, and looked around for the tent with its awning on fire. I thought my eyes were getting a bit fuzzy.
Then it got closer - moving quite fast considering there was no wind. It was heading straight for me. A sphere of about 2m.

I was a little late in realising that it was a swarm of Scottish midges. I alway knew that I get bitten far worse than most people around me, but to be spotted from that distance ........

This campsite was usually midge free, but the little blighters must have hitched a ride in the folded up tents and awnings of campers on their way back down south.
They then hitched a ride in my tent, and I have only just got rid of them from within the garage where I used to hang the tent to dry.

Just been checking the the bike's MOT history. It's done 4,000 miles since I traded it in 10 years ago. Sorry history. Not been looked after at all, and currently off the road.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Have the same Mosko, but the 30 L version, that usually sits on the rear seat. Also have the bag that is mollyed on top of it that I keep the hydration bag in.
And I should add that I pack a Nallo 3GT tent(incl. ground cloth), an Exped XP 9 down pad, a Western Mountaineering down bag, and an Exped collapsable pillow in the 30L Mosko, with space for tent poles and pegs in the Mosko pole compartment.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
And I should add that I pack a Nallo 3GT tent(incl. ground cloth), an Exped XP 9 down pad, a Western Mountaineering down bag, and an Exped collapsable pillow in the 30L Mosko, with space for tent poles and pegs in the Mosko pole compartment.
Down compresses nicely, doesn't it?
And I do like the tent pole stash pouch in the MM. I got the 40l to hold everything coming back from Kalifornistan.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Down compresses nicely, doesn't it?
And I do like the tent pole stash pouch in the MM. I got the 40l to hold everything coming back from Kalifornistan.
They do pack much smaller. A quality down sleeping bag will pay you back every time the temp drops below freezing. A lofty down bag is also (just my opinion) more comfortable. I use a bag liner in mine, because the bag will last longer, and you dont have to wash it as often. I sometimes just sleep in the liner, if the weather is warm. I wash the liner twice a season, and make it a habit to air out the sleeping bag every chance I get, at home or on the road, turning it inside out.

Top Bottom