When is one too old to ride?

Bike
2012 PCX150
One sees more and more posts on social media where owners are selling their bike due to "age" or "health" issues. When does this dreaded age arrive?

I'm 56, healthy, still walk 6.5kms several times per week, hike etc. Granted, there are a few aches and pains, but nothing serious. My last big bike was a Gold Wing GL1100 Interstate in '91 (I used to throw this around like a 50cc), I stopped riding in '94, resumed in 2014, albeit on a PCX150 (I love this little thing, perfect for nipping around town). I briefly owned an Aprilia Pegaso 650 in 2016, but hated the single, especially at low speeds (maybe due to the 'highway' sprocket setup fitted by the previous owner).

I'm currently looking at a 2009 ST1300 for touring while I'm still able to swing a leg over, but am worried it may disappoint, although 99.9% of reviews are positive.

Your thoughts?

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
It seems to depend on your fitness and health level rather than age - there are many members of this forum still riding well into their seventies so you should be good for a few years yet! Arthritis, strokes and other illnesses can take their toll, but only you will know when it's time to give up the big bikes. The weight of the bike also comes into the equation and I'm sure other members will soon chip in with their viewpoints.

Bike
VStrom 650
Ralf, welcome from Northumberland UK.
I think you'll be chuffed with an ST, but, what are you thinking of doing on it?
What do you need a bike to do?
Many smaller and lighter bikes will do a good job of rider only touring, you might even pick up a brand new warranted bike for the same money.
Do you get the NC750 range down there?
If you want a big old bus of a bike with lots of luggage space and room for two a well priced ST would suit just fine. But do you?
My answer was obviously yes (ST11) but there are other options.
Ecca and me are both older than you and Ecca's ancient :biggrin:.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
Ralf_CT
Bike
2012 PCX150
Ralf, welcome from Northumberland UK.
I think you'll be chuffed with an ST, but, what are you thinking of doing on it?
What do you need a bike to do?
Many smaller and lighter bikes will do a good job of rider only touring, you might even pick up a brand new warranted bike for the same money.
Do you get the NC750 range down there?
If you want a big old bus of a bike with lots of luggage space and room for two a well priced ST would suit just fine. But do you?
Upt'North.
I've always liked the effortless torque and power of a big-engined, shaft driven bike (owned a Silver Wing Interstate and Gold Wing Interstate among others). Before I'm too old I wanted to do some touring with my wife, breakfast in the country, get out of the house, meet new people. Yes, we have the NC750 but it may struggle 2-up with luggage, and it's chain driven. The ST1300 has a good reputation and is shaft driven, an ideal example I don't want to pass on just came up (2009, ABS, ruby red, one owner, FSH, 47,900kms). IF I'm unhappy I could always sell it at the same price in 6-12 months. Granted, it's top heavy but at 1.87m I don't have a problem keeping it stable, BUT it shouldn't be tipped too far. :)

Bike
2015 K1600 GTL E
2024 Miles
You should have no worries. I’m 58 pushing 59. Looking to get a K1600 trading my ST. Sounds like you’re in better shape than me. My wife 62 is going for her motorcycle license this year. Going to decide if she wants her own or just be a pillion. As Upt’ North stated, you have to figure out what you want to do with the bike. Regardless of size.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Welcome from Maryland, in the mid-Atlantic region of the US of A.

There is, of course, no universally-definable formula or definition of when exactly is "when". It's a personal decision based on one's perceptions of one's abilities, strength, physical and mental soundness, willingness to tolerate risk, etc.

When I'm not mooning idly over the possibility of a shiny new ride in the driveway, and when I look coldly, dispassionately, and objectively at the facts, "when" for me was 29 September 2019, when I demonstrated (for the second time in my life) that my tendency and habit of allowing my mind to wander freely is exceedingly dangerous when operating a motorcycle. I was just three weeks short of 58 at the time.

Another friend of mine, a much more able and experienced rider, decided that he had reached "when" around the time he turned 65 or 66. Others, here and elsewhere, have continued riding well into their 70s and a few into their 80s.

You may find that as you age and become less vigorous, a smaller and lighter bike will be easier to manage than a brute like an ST. Or not.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I’m 70, and plan to ride for several more years. I have some hip problems that make it difficult, at times, to swing a leg over, but that doesn’t keep me from riding. I’ll probably depend on the good folks here, to tell me when it’s time to quit.

John

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'm 56 and plan on riding into my 80's. My mind is already gone so that's not an issue, but I'm in decent shape and plan on being in better shape as I get older... losing some more weight and eating better.. I don't eat terribly now, I don't smoke and never have and I probably drink what many here spill on the table in the course of a year. I do have to work a lot of hours sometimes but I don't have a high stress job and the moment it becomes that I'll quite or retire early.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
I'm 56 and plan on riding into my 80's. My mind is already gone so that's not an issue, but I'm in decent shape and plan on being in better shape as I get older... losing some more weight and eating better.. I don't eat terribly now, I don't smoke and never have and I probably drink what many here spill on the table in the course of a year. I do have to work a lot of hours sometimes but I don't have a high stress job and the moment it becomes that I'll quite or retire early.
Same here. 62 this year. I am going to keep riding until 80 and beyond. Don't have any health issues that prevent me from riding.

Stay in shape, exercise, eat healthy, keep your weight in check, keep your mind occupied, and never stop moving. See ya on the road.

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
At 69 years old, I don't expect to quit riding 'til mid eighties. Still enjoy motorcycling immensely! Present stable (Goldwing, VFR1200, CB11) will have to be scaled down however, only due to insurance cost. Don't get me started...
A couple of factors come to mind for consideration - do you habitually ride two-up? That does increase risk. Also, do you live in a densely populated area? Also more risk.

56 Years old........then you are only just running in!:D.

God willing, may the good health, long continue, and your mind stay strong enough to do the things you enjoy doing. I recently just had a borrow of the NC750S, might not be much difference between the S and X models, but coming from off my ST1100, with not much other experience behind me for many years (Marriage and Family) I'll say only what I know. I'm just about 6 feet tall, a little over weight. The Pan feels comfortable underneath me. It holds me up. The NC750 S felt small, and too light. Was a bit too bouncy for my liking too. My legs felt bunched up a bit. It was cold on my crotch even at 40mph:eek:. It has a strange annoyingly loud wind noise (which sounded like my old washing machine with a worn bearing-worn out) which appears to come from the front boot. It feels plasticity, and cheap. The clocks area...yuk! Yes it sounds throaty, pulls brilliantly, but so does my Pan. I felt silly on it:p, does that count:D. And....there is no way in the world, my wife would fit on the back..HAPPILY:biggrin:...take from that what you will, but seriously, nah, stay with a Pan, either one. But always have something to look forward to. Cheers.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Age wise you're never too old. Here's a local rider who was riding at 100 years old (in 2019.)
Haven't heard how 2020 treated him.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
A friend of mine was 80 something & still rode a FJR1300,until he rode with his son in law on the 115(major hi-way in Ont,).Ray was doing a wheelie, Good ole son in law ratted him out.Wife told him to buy a smaller bike; so he bought Yamaha R600.He used to race ,&stillcould ride until he passed on.All in your head if you are safe for you & others.

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I have no date or year to stop riding. I think it is a matter of health and attitude. When I feel I can't safely hold the ST up any more I'll look at sidecar rig. 67 now and planning to ride til I am 80 (+).

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Life is short and eternity is long. Choose wisely.

If you have the health and money to do something you want to do then go and do it while you can. Soon enough the hot wind blows and the green grass of our lives withers.

I'm 65 and blessed to have ridden 50 years and I plan on riding until I don't enjoy it any longer or I cannot continue to do so. Hopefully I will know when that day is at hand.

Top Bottom