When is one too old to ride?

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm intentionally ignoring this thread, just as I intentionally ignore my age.
Awww, hell!
It's there under my profile pic, anyways.
DO NOT! look under the picture.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
I'll stop riding when I can no longer anticipate the idiots texting and driving.

Mrs Hom recently exclaimed "I only just understand your obsession with bikes, you should have grown up about it by now!" To which my reply was "Give over, you giggled like a school girl the last time you were on it!"

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Who is the oldest rider here?

well of those that have posted so far with their ages listed it might be Nashcat or me, depending on when his birthday is. I turn 71 in mid May.

I KNOW there's older dudes than he and I on this board though.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I’m 56 and have zero plans to stop riding any time soon. I’m a bigger guy, so manhandling the 2 1100s don't seem to be an issue (so they don’t feel too heavy or ungainly). I guess I might want to downsize if I had trouble handling them. In the old days, I had a Nighthawk 750 before the ST, and when I first got the ST, it felt quite big to me. Now that Nighthawk would feel like a moped. I guess it’s all what you’re used to and feel you can safely handle. I would hang it up for health reasons that it’s not safe fr me to ride or neurologic condition that would impair my reflexes making riding unsafe.

the rules: don’t get old, don’t get frail, live your life as young as you can (until you can’t)

^^ This guy is great! 81 and riding a very fast bike.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Here's inspiration, there's always someone older going further faster than me, gotta keep going just to catch up!

Last edited:
Bike
Moto Guzzi V7 850 Sp
One sees more and more posts on social media where owners are selling their bike due to "age" or "health" issues. When does this dreaded age arrive?

I'm 56, healthy, still walk 6.5kms several times per week, hike etc. Granted, there are a few aches and pains, but nothing serious. My last big bike was a Gold Wing GL1100 Interstate in '91 (I used to throw this around like a 50cc), I stopped riding in '94, resumed in 2014, albeit on a PCX150 (I love this little thing, perfect for nipping around town). I briefly owned an Aprilia Pegaso 650 in 2016, but hated the single, especially at low speeds (maybe due to the 'highway' sprocket setup fitted by the previous owner).

I'm currently looking at a 2009 ST1300 for touring while I'm still able to swing a leg over, but am worried it may disappoint, although 99.9% of reviews are positive.

Your thoughts?
Welcome from Shelton, Washington on the left coast of the USA! By all means, get that bike or another if that one doesn't pan out. I usually ride single and now that I've fitted the ST-PA seat cowl that is all I've got. I'm 73 and don't plan on stopping until I physically cannot climb into the saddle anymore, or as several on this thread have said, "until someone has to pry me off"!

Bike
05 ST1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Next week I'll turn 75 and still riding with several groups. On our Tuesday retirees ride we had a 93 year old up until last year. That's what I'm aiming for. It will be a dark day when I can't get my leg over. I think I'm good for another 25 years

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Quit riding when . . . you're a danger to others or . . . can't remember how to start the bike.

My goal, as I turn 74 later this year, is to be the oldest "Finisher" of the Iron Butt Rally. That'll be when I'm in my 80s although by the time I get that old, maybe someone else will finish in their 90s and I'll need to wait a few years. :)

Shuey

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
What are some of you young kids talking about ? I stopped riding dirt bikes at 75 because my riding buddies died or moved. Road my ST 1300 until I was 84 when one of my street buddies got banged up pretty bad and my wife said that's it. I am talking about real sport touring, Sierra Passes, to B.C. Canada, all back roads almost no freeways. 94,000 fun miles. No street crashes but several "drops". I am 86 now and would I still be on site if I didn't still miss riding???

Ed Wing

gordow88

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 st1300
One sees more and more posts on social media where owners are selling their bike due to "age" or "health" issues. When does this dreaded age arrive?

I'm 56, healthy, still walk 6.5kms several times per week, hike etc. Granted, there are a few aches and pains, but nothing serious. My last big bike was a Gold Wing GL1100 Interstate in '91 (I used to throw this around like a 50cc), I stopped riding in '94, resumed in 2014, albeit on a PCX150 (I love this little thing, perfect for nipping around town). I briefly owned an Aprilia Pegaso 650 in 2016, but hated the single, especially at low speeds (maybe due to the 'highway' sprocket setup fitted by the previous owner).

I'm currently looking at a 2009 ST1300 for touring while I'm still able to swing a leg over, but am worried it may disappoint, although 99.9% of reviews are positive.

Your thoughts?
My 2 cents, Just turned 70 on Christmas Eve, almost totaled my St in October. Bought my second St1300 and waiting on it to be delivered this week. Best ride I have ever owed. Still have and ride Yamaha Vmax and '78 Kawasaki 1000, I know too many motorcycles, but if I couldn't ride I would get old. Think young stay young. The biggest problem I have with the St1300 is when my girlfriend is on the back on any incline at low speed about to park, when it starts to lean it's panic time. Haven't dropped it yet, fingers crossed. Enjoy your ride. Gordon

OP
OP
Ralf_CT
Bike
2012 PCX150
I collected my 2009 ST1300 from the dealer earlier today, then went to a friend's place less than 4km down the road. On leaving a few hours later the battery was too weak to start the bike, I had to find another way home. The battery either needs a charge, or it's due for replacement (probably the latter).

I'm not so sure about this bike anymore. It's heavy and at each traffic light/stop street I hoped it wouldn't fall to the right or left. During the afternoon I practiced and perfected getting it onto the center stand (it's all in the technique), leaning safely (while stationary) past the point that previously felt safe, and maneuvering the bike around the driveway (while on the seat). At 1.87m I also raised the seat to its highest point (both feet are still firmly on the ground), which seemed to help with the shins knocking the lower fairing.

However, having limited ankle movement due to club feet directly affects control of the brake pedal and gear lever, to overcome this I partially lift my left leg to change gears, or move my right leg around to brake. This directly affects riding safety, especially in an emergency. This is also the main reason why I never got into off-road riding, I would be unable to change gears and brake while standing.

It was my mistake to buy this bike without a test ride. What do you guys think, should I return the bike, walk away and chalk this up to experience; or hang in there a little longer? I can always sell it at the price I paid a month or two from now, then again, we're also heading into winter.

It was my mistake to buy this bike without a test ride. What do you guys think,
If I remember, you're the "apprehensive" author.

My opinion? Only you can decide if it's right for you. Others can't talk you into riding a bike you're uncomfortable with.

Just to be clear, though, you've had the bike one day now?

Top Bottom