When is one too old to ride?

Bike
2006 ST1300
One sees more and more posts on social media where owners are selling their bike due to "age" or "health" issues. When does this dreaded age arrive?

I'm 56, healthy, still walk 6.5kms several times per week, hike etc. Granted, there are a few aches and pains, but nothing serious. My last big bike was a Gold Wing GL1100 Interstate in '91 (I used to throw this around like a 50cc), I stopped riding in '94, resumed in 2014, albeit on a PCX150 (I love this little thing, perfect for nipping around town). I briefly owned an Aprilia Pegaso 650 in 2016, but hated the single, especially at low speeds (maybe due to the 'highway' sprocket setup fitted by the previous owner).

I'm currently looking at a 2009 ST1300 for touring while I'm still able to swing a leg over, but am worried it may disappoint, although 99.9% of reviews are positive.

Your thoughts?
66 and still swinging my ST1300 around the mountain roads of NH and VT. You're not too old.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Here is a great quote on skills:

"A worthwhile human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

To that list, I would add: ride a motorcycle safely.

Pete

Bike
2012 ST1300A
@Ralf_CT Just remember, while practicing, if you feel like it's going over just let it and walk off the bike... you can hurt yourself even more trying to save it and the built in crash bars are one of the great features of the ST. It's a top heavy bike.. the goldwing feels lighter due to engine and fuel tank locations even though the Wing is a heavier bike. But, even with the wing, just walk off of it if you feel it's going over.

Good luck on the practicing. I'm in okay shape but just don't like heavy bikes in general so am currently on a tracer 900 GT.
And don't put your foot down! It is unnatural to keep your feet up when you feel the bike is going over but it is imperative. We had more than one broken ankle during training as a result of a rider putting his or her foot down and getting it caught under the saddle bag. Just step off or roll as the bike tips over. I put luggage bars on my bike because I like to push the slow cone pattern training and when training with friends, I will wrap my crash bar with a piece of hose. We have a tendency to push each other when playing in cones and it can get pretty crazy.:hurt1:

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Here is a great quote on skills:

"A worthwhile human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

To that list, I would add: ride a motorcycle safely.

Pete
:eek: - that is the shocked face that I had, on reading that list, and realising that I must be at least part way to being a worthwhile human... since I can do some of those things.

We're not saying that they have to be done well though, right? :biggrin:

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
:eek: - that is the shocked face that I had, on reading that list, and realising that I must be at least part way to being a worthwhile human... since I can do some of those things.

We're not saying that they have to be done well though, right? :biggrin:
Yup - I'd agree with that assessment Ad.Hom.

To go along with a current fashion in certain cities and parse the words carefully...the word "and" does not appear anywhere in the list and so I would suggest that possessing some level of skill in at least a few of those tasks make a person "worthwhile". ;)

I guess the number for everyone is different. At the end it is only a number. If you are healthy enough to get on your horse then everything is fine. I had a major leg injury few months ago and my horse will be going to the storage soon. It is just a pity uhaul phone number is not answering these days, very interested in receiving a quote from them.

Last edited:
Bike
2009 ST1300
If you can fog a mirror, I think a lot of guys use that "aging out" to motivate a sale, meanwhile, they just want to focus on their gold wing that you're not gonna see when you come to look at the other bike.

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
If you can fog a mirror, I think a lot of guys use that "aging out" to motivate a sale, meanwhile, they just want to focus on their gold wing that you're not gonna see when you come to look at the other bike.
Wait until you are in your mid 70's and you may rethink that opinion. i have an ST and a Goldwing and am seriously thinking about going to 3 wheels so I can keep riding.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
66, been riding, something, since I was 11. Run 30 miles a week, eat healthy, probably drink too much beer. Recently retired and plan to ride a whole lot more.

JohnConner

Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
My local Goldwing chapter has one member that turned 80 this year and still rides a 1500 - bike, not trike. Several others in the group are in their 70's and going strong. Your health is a bigger determination than age. Although the older you get, the easier you break and the slower you heal, so be careful and wear ATGATT.

If you are planning to ride 2-up a lot, especially if either of you is over size medium, you probably want to go for a 1800 Goldwing over the ST1300. I've had both and the ST is great for one person but can get snug for two. If you want to enjoy some SPORT in your touring, the ST is great. The '01-'17 Goldwing is truly a comfortable touring bike for both passenger and driver, and handles remarkably well, but it is not a ST on the twisty roads. If money isn't much of a concern, the '18+ Wing is a great blend of ST and GW. I call it an ST1800 as it has a lot of the good stuff of the ST, with updated electronics and an excellent engine (great gas mileage). But if you are touring 2-up, you will want a trailer to pull for luggage.

That's my 2-cents worth...

JohnConner
:bluegw: :usflag1:

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
When are we too old to ride a motorcycle ?

Almost at this exact same day, on august 26th, 1967, in Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah, Burt Munro established a world record, for the worlds fastest motorcycle, under 1000cc.
Munro was then at age 68.

What speed did he reach ?
183 mph or 295 kmh.

What is interesting, is that he even went faster during the qualification for the record.But they couldn't used the qualification speed for the said record.
For Qualification, he reached 190 mph or 305 kmh.
In another occasion, he reached 205 mph or 331 kmh.

And his motorcycle, modyfied by himself, was a 47 years old motorcycle.
:hat4::headbang:

When asked what was driving him to do that and to take all those risks, he simply said, with a large smile : Who doesn't like to go fast ? We all do.

Simple as that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom