When is one too old to ride?

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
One sees more and more posts on social media where owners are selling their bike due to "age" or "health" issues. When does this dreaded age arrive?

I'm 56, healthy, still walk 6.5kms several times per week, hike etc. Granted, there are a few aches and pains, but nothing serious. My last big bike was a Gold Wing GL1100 Interstate in '91 (I used to throw this around like a 50cc), I stopped riding in '94, resumed in 2014, albeit on a PCX150 (I love this little thing, perfect for nipping around town). I briefly owned an Aprilia Pegaso 650 in 2016, but hated the single, especially at low speeds (maybe due to the 'highway' sprocket setup fitted by the previous owner).

I'm currently looking at a 2009 ST1300 for touring while I'm still able to swing a leg over, but am worried it may disappoint, although 99.9% of reviews are positive.

Your thoughts?
U should look at the 1100 too. Its smaller. I have one and it does all i need. Im not talking about weight either. The 1300 is just larger.
Im 65 this month and went 40 years without a ride. The 1100 is a really nice ride, and it was very patient with me.

Im 59 , 6 ft tall and bought my st 1100 to replace my aging 86 vt 1100 , which was lighter , and I sat more upright on it . I found I had to be more aware of tipping at slow speeds , or stopping , due to different seating position ,and weight variance , you may find handlebar risers helpful . I was more comfortable with 2 inch risers . seat height of the wing is probably closer to the st , than my old bike, so you will adjust easier, I think . As long as I can hold the bike up , Im gonna ride it. Enjoy!

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I purchased my second '04 from a friend who had turned 80. He could still handle the bike although it's weight was starting to concern him. He decided to switch bikes while he could make the decision, not have the decision made for him. He got a 650 Burgman and hasn't looked back. Still does multi day tours with us at 86 yrs old.

Like other have said, it all depends on you. You cannot put a number on when you should or should not ride any kind of bike.

STOC #
I'm 68 and been riding since 1970. 2020 was the first year the st13 started giving me problems with its weight. I love the bike but may have to look at something lighter sometime..
Took out a demo Versys 1000 LT last Sept. and was amazed how much lighter if felt but dont really want to go to a chain drive again..also this bike 2K KLM on it, never stopped vibrating..seat,then pegs then bars,,as the revs changed. Others may look at used RT,FJR Vstrom 1000. but I do need a drivers backrest now.
I REALLY like my bike and will probably keep it till it is just too much...only has 67K klm
My old 85 wings were the same weight but never felt as heavy with the weight being much lower and they were more comfy.
Hoping for many more years of riding for sure

Bike
2010 ST1300
The answer to your question is, 'when you can no longer throw a leg over the bike', or when you decide for yourself you are too old. Take your pick.

OP
OP
Ralf_CT
Bike
2012 PCX150
My old 85 wings were the same weight but never felt as heavy with the weight being much lower.
True, my '82 GL1100 Interstate was as heavy as the ST1300, but did not feel it due to the frame mounted fuel tank and flat-4. My '81 GL500 Interstate V-twin on the other hand was lighter, but very top heavy.

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Sam, I think you may be right. I quite like the recent Yamaha TMAX 530, according to reviews it feels quite at home at freeway speeds - two up - with plenty of power for fast passing. It's also 'auto', lighter, nimble and comes with speedocruise.

Mine will no doubt go down in history as the shortest ST1300 ownership, and I'll probably be frowned upon by forum members, but I'll rather be a living fool than to be remembered as a dead hero, one's ride shouldn't fill one with fear. Note to self: test ride the next bike!!!
No frowns from these guys... just thumbs up. And, you are always welcome back here. At least let us know what you wind up doing. Your info may help the next guy.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
What is surprising to me is making a decision on such a short period of time. Spring of 20 I returned to riding after 20+yrs. The first month I thought I'd made a mistake. Not so much the weight of the bike, it's heavy, but I had no issue. It was the idiots in cages that scared me. But I persevered, I've been careful, and slowly the confidence returned. Why don't more people make health changes, as in working out, to allow them to keep riding? I know many people who workout/train to keep in shape to allow them to continue their favourite activities. From what ive seen, this isnt a thing in the motorcycle world. I find that odd.
RT

STOC #
When I was 65 I rode from Key West to Phrudhoe bay Alaska.. Great trip. Sold the Vstrom I rode up there with to a gent that was 75 years old.. He was in great shape but a bit forgetful. Sold the ST to a youngster of 56... I want another bike since I have moved but my physical condition may change things. At 71 I have tinnitus and Meniere's dz.. I get dizzy some times... Not good on a bike!!:eek:
mitch

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I was 65 I rode from Key West to Phrudhoe bay Alaska.. Great trip. Sold the Vstrom I rode up there with to a gent that was 75 years old.. He was in great shape but a bit forgetful. Sold the ST to a youngster of 56... I want another bike since I have moved but my physical condition may change things. At 71 I have tinnitus and Meniere's dz.. I get dizzy some times... Not good on a bike!!:eek:
mitch
Mitch - Your old ST1100 has over 118,000 miles on her and has been in 49 states!

Uncle Phil - The FroST

OP
OP
Ralf_CT
Bike
2012 PCX150
The dealer can't reverse the deal as it was consignment stock, they've collected the bike to check/replace the battery, then they'll drop if of at my place. I've considered all the comments and decided to give this another shot. I'm in a different frame of mind and plan to find myself a deserted parking lot to practice all that needs practicing so I can regain my confidence. Smaller people than me ride an ST1300, so why shouldn't I.

Re the health issues mentioned above, early last year I was suddenly hit with unexpected lower back pain after using a two-way hand pump to inflate a few water bike floats to 7.5PSI, I was down for a few days, and had another two incidents a few months later while carrying heavy shopping. This is a little worrying, I could feel the pinch after wrestling the bike on the weekend.

Anyway, it looks like I'll be here for a while. :thumb: Maybe I'll look back on this in a few months and say, "what the hell was wrong with you, you're now handling this baby like a pro!".

Top Bottom