Yamaha Recalls

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
And just to be clear, the transmission recall is only for the FJR, whereas the brake light switch affects several models. my '15 Super Tenere has not had any problem at all in 78,000+ miles, so unless I receive a recall notice or it starts to act up, I'll probably leave it alone.

Reactions: TOS
And just to be clear, the transmission recall is only for the FJR, whereas the brake light switch affects several models. my '15 Super Tenere has not had any problem at all in 78,000+ miles, so unless I receive a recall notice or it starts to act up, I'll probably leave it alone.
Think again... be sure to enter your VIN to see if it's affected

Screenshot_20210107-175629_Brave-01.jpeg

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Out of curiosity does the transmission lockup and more specifically rear wheel lockup occur irrespective of the use of the clutch?

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Think again... be sure to enter your VIN to see if it's affected

Screenshot_20210107-175629_Brave-01.jpeg
Interestingly enough, I entered my vin and . . .

"An error occurred with your request. Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA does not recognize your VIN."

I'll wait a few days and see what happens or just call the contact phone number.

Shuey

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
I don't think dropping it off at the dealer now would not do any good. Because they are going to have to see from Yamaha instructions on how to perform the recall campaign. Then wait for the updated parts from Yamaha. It would amaze me if Yamaha dealers had these update parts.
Yamaha has already supplied the step by step procedure for the fix. It's been posted on the FJR Owners site.

Interestingly enough, I entered my vin and . . .

"An error occurred with your request. Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA does not recognize your VIN."

I'll wait a few days and see what happens or just call the contact phone number.
It's quite possible the bike already has the fix ... that recall is dated March 2015 and if we read the details

"... motorcycles manufactured September 1, 2014, to November 17, 2014. "

But if it were me, I'd check again to be sure

Bike
2000 ST1100
Yamaha has already supplied the step by step procedure for the fix. It's been posted on the FJR Owners site.
Yep I read that. Seem like Europe was informed way before the USA since guys are just now getting their work done over sea's. Wonder if there has been work completed here or is it just a letter showing that a recall has been issued? When i recieved the notice on my Toyota and Mazda of a recall on the deffective Takata air bags it took em a year before they became available. Same for my Mazda recall for rusted out A arms....one year for parts.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Out of curiosity does the transmission lockup and more specifically rear wheel lockup occur irrespective of the use of the clutch?
The clutch , being just before the transmission , would not effect the transmission being jammed / locked up & all the way to the rear tire . The clutch , being engaged at the moment , would stop the engine too fast though . Heck of a stress for the entire drivetrain !

sunnyorlando

I see you in my mirrors
Bike
2018 FJR1300A M Blue
I don't think dropping it off at the dealer now would not do any good. Because they are going to have to see from Yamaha instructions on how to perform the recall campaign. Then wait for the updated parts from Yamaha. It would amaze me if Yamaha dealers had these update parts.
I hoping that since this recall hit Europe a while back, tha the parts will be more avaiable to us now.

sunnyorlando

I see you in my mirrors
Bike
2018 FJR1300A M Blue
Since I have not seen this here, I'm re-posting from a post dated 1/6/21 in the fjrforum.com thinking it may be helpful. I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules...

U.S. NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V813000
Manufacturer Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA
Components POWER TRAIN
Potential Number of Units Affected 2,285

Summary

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA (Yamaha) is recalling certain 2016-2020 Yamaha FJR13A and FJR13AE motorcycles. The second gear of the transmission can crack and break under high speed loads.

Remedy

Yamaha will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and, as necessary, reprogram the Engine Control Unit (ECU) and replace the main axle and drive axle assemblies, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin January 13, 2021. Owners may contact Yamaha customer service at 1-800-962-7926. Yamaha's number for this recall is 990141. Note: Owners are advised not to operate their motorcycle until the repairs have been performed.

Description of Defect :
Description of the Defect : In affected motorcycles, the side of second gear may not be strong enough to
handle high speed loads. As a result, cracks may occur due to constant stress
applied during repeated gear shift operation and, eventually, the gear could
break. If this happens, the transmission and, in turn, the rear wheel, could lock,
increasing the risk of loss of control and a crash

Description of the Safety Risk : The side of second gear may not be strong enough to handle high speed loads.
As a result, cracks may occur due to constant stress applied during repeated
gear shift operation and, eventually, the gear could break. If this happens, the transmission and, in turn, the rear wheel, could lock

Description of the Cause : second pinion gear may not be strong enough to handle high speed loads. As a
result, cracks may occur due to constant stress applied during repeated gear
shift operation

Identification of Any Warning that can Occur :
difficulty shifting, finding neutral and false neutrals may occur prior to gear
breakage

Chronology :
In late November, Yamaha Motor Corporation USA was informed by the manufacturer, Yamaha Motor Co., LTD
that such a condition exists. This was determined pursuant to quality control review, testing and a review of
foreign models that use substantially similar part design

Description of Remedy :
Description of Remedy Program : Affected units must have the main axle and drive axle assemblies replaced
with the stronger parts and the Engine Control Unit (ECU) reprogrammed to prevent excessive rpm leading to second gear damage

How Remedy Component Differs from Recalled Component :
Second pinion gear is now forged and 2nd pinion on the main axel and 1st
and 5th wheel gear on the drive axle have a small identification groove
machined on them to aid identification Part 573 Safety Recall Report 20V-813 Page 3
The information contained in this report was submitted pursuant to 49 CFR §573

Identify How/When Recall Condition was Corrected in Production :
With the start of November 2020 production, the new style forged 2nd
pinion gear on the main transmission axel and 1st and 5th wheel gear on
the drive transmission axel are used for engine/transmission assembly

Recall Schedule :
Description of Recall Schedule : We anticipate commencing dealer/consumer notification shortly after
the owner's notification letter is approved by NHTSA, the affected VIN
range is ascertained, and the Technical Bulletin's service procedures are
confirmed and finalized by Yamaha staff. assuming the Agency can review
and approve the customer notification letter within 5 days of receipt
(perhaps January 8th we will have the letter and technical bulletin
printed. Normal turnaround time is 3 working days for such a printing.
Hence the materials will be ready for mailing approximately January
13th. Final copies of these notification documents will be forwarded to
the Agency as soon as possible.
Planned Dealer Notification Date : JAN 13, 2021 - JAN 15, 2021
Planned Owner Notification Date : JAN 13, 2021 - JAN 15, 2021

Production Dates : DEC 09, 2015 - FEB 02, 2020
VIN Range 1 : Begin : JYARP29E6GA000002 End : JYARP29EXKA000822 ✔ Not sequential
VIN Range 2 : Begin : JYARP29Y3GA000002 End : JYARP29Y8KA000151 ✔ Not sequential
VIN Range 3 : Begin : JYARP30E0GA000001 End : JYARP30E7LA001009 ✔ Not sequential
VIN Range 4 : Begin : JYARP30Y7GA000006 End : JYARP30Y8LA000221 ✔ Not sequential
VIN Range 5 : Begin : JYARP31Y4JA000003 End : JYARP31Y3LA000092 ✔ Not sequential

sunnyorlando

I see you in my mirrors
Bike
2018 FJR1300A M Blue
As of this morning, assuming the site has been updated, my VIN still does not come up as recalled - which is how it has been since I started looking at this about a week ago. Hopefully it is because the understanding is correct - my VIN falls BEFORE the first range of VINs listed. Wouldn't that be nice...?

Attachments

sunnyorlando

I see you in my mirrors
Bike
2018 FJR1300A M Blue
Since I have not seen this here, I'm re-posting from a post dated 1/6/21 in the fjrforum.com thinking it may be helpful. I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules...

Planned Dealer Notification Date : JAN 13, 2021 - JAN 15, 2021
Planned Owner Notification Date : JAN 13, 2021 - JAN 15, 2021

Production Dates : DEC 09, 2015 - FEB 02, 2020
VIN Range 1 : Begin : JYARP29E6GA000002 End : JYARP29EXKA000822 ✔ Not sequential
VIN Range 2 : Begin : JYARP29Y3GA000002 End : JYARP29Y8KA000151 ✔ Not sequential
VIN Range 3 : Begin : JYARP30E0GA000001 End : JYARP30E7LA001009 ✔ Not sequential
VIN Range 4 : Begin : JYARP30Y7GA000006 End : JYARP30Y8LA000221 ✔ Not sequential
VIN Range 5 : Begin : JYARP31Y4JA000003 End : JYARP31Y3LA000092 ✔ Not sequential
Just an observation... it occurred to me to check the 10 start and end VIN ranges from the list above using the Yamaha site.
> Some VINs do not come up as recalled at all - nothing found
> Some VINs have other recalls such as side stand switch and air hose re-route - of which some show completed and others not.
> No VINs show this recall listed.

I think Id take this as the site not being updated....

sunnyorlando

I see you in my mirrors
Bike
2018 FJR1300A M Blue
Update - 01/13/2021

Just passing along what I found out today regardless of accuracy. I spoke with Yamaha again just now, they answered pretty quickly. I gathered the following information according to the agent I spoke to.

> The notifications and final ranges are not officially out yet.

> Agent said that the yamaha-dealers.com website is NOT the official Yamaha recall website, thus in cannot be used for an official reference. I take it that this is used by dealers for a quick check, but not necessarily for official recalls. I say this because after he said that I looked it up, and domain registrar 'domaintools.com' shows Yamaha as the owners. So tit belongs to them, just not official for this purpose.

> The information in the NHTS was a preliminary communication from Yamaha which still requires final validation.

> This is an internal document: https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/motorsports/pages/yamaha-factory-modification-campaigns

> This is another place where recalls are posted: https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/motorsports/pages/cpsc-recall-alerts

>> However the new FJR campaign is still not listed in either one..

> For the internal purposes of Yamaha, he said the the only parts that matter in the serial number are: 4, 5, 6 and 7th digits, and the last 6 digits. They don't use the rest for recalls.

>> So like this: aaa aa## a#aa ######. (a=Alpha, #=digits) And based on that, mine appears to be in at this point.

> There is no additional validation that the dealer needs to do. Once its on the list, its in.

So we continue to wait ...

sunnyorlando

I see you in my mirrors
Bike
2018 FJR1300A M Blue
Looking to see if anyone has had any luck with the Yamaha recall page.

https://www.yamaha-dealers.com/public/web/techpubs/nhtsaPublications.html

If any of you have now found your bike listed and it was not being listed before, it would be good to know. Its a way for others to know that the list has been updated. Otherwise for those of us who are still not getting anything and possibly not affected, we would never know that it has changed.

Top Bottom