the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Just checked mine again (thanks for the link again) and nada

Bike
st1300 vfr800
I guess I am lucky ,just checked with my local dealer and they ordered the switch . I can pick it up and do the install myself . Awesome .

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Just checked. The dealers site shows 2 modifications (2nd gear and brake switch) but . . . "no matching publications for my specified vin#".

The NHTSA site stills says an error occurred that it doesn't recognize my VIN.

Curious. Mickey's FJR is the same year as mine. Is it an ES Mickey?

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
My Yamaha ST is listed for the brake switch recall, I called my dealer trying to get another switch as I have changed it myself and was told no, but they would change it out for me if I wanted to make an appointment.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Mine showed up today for the brake switch. I have a '15 so no 6 speed issues to worry about.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Just checked. The dealers site shows 2 modifications (2nd gear and brake switch) but . . . "no matching publications for my specified vin#".

The NHTSA site stills says an error occurred that it doesn't recognize my VIN.

Curious. Mickey's FJR is the same year as mine. Is it an ES Mickey?
No Shuey, mines a 2018A. The std model.

I briefly saw the list of affected numbers at my local dealer on his recall notice. I should have snapped a pic.

sunnyorlando

I see you in my mirrors
Bike
2018 FJR1300A M Blue
I meant to post this earlier...
My recall was completed the week of 3/9. I rode about 50 miles home and all seems normal. Ive now ridden about about 400 miles.
My repairing dealer treated me very well, the job was completed in 4 days as promised and the bikes looks like it was never disassembled, you have to look closely for marking and squeezed gasket sealer. All plastics in place correctly and tight. It looks to me they did a great job. Mine was the third one for them bhind their 2 showroom units, of which one had been sold and had to be repaired before delivery.
At this point I have to say they did everything they were supposed to and it cost me $0 including oil, filter and coolant. I did have them do some other maintenance while they had the engine out - spark plugs, swing arm lube and they threw in an air filter.
I dealt with Dustin at Spaceport Cycles in Titusville, FL. It's a small established shop that has been there for about 45 yrs. Dustin is a 10+yr GoldStar Tech and is also the GM at Spaceport.
Only miles will tell... But I feel good about how it all went.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
I second sunnyorlando's comments above. I got by 2016 ES back after four days, and can't tell the difference either, except for shifting multiple gears, as like when I approach a red light. Sometimes I have to disengage the clutch slightly before I can shift to the next gear. This may simply be due to different engine oil - I will monitor this after I replace the Yamalube with Rotella in about 5k miles. Looking forward to many fun miles this year...

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Well . . . my FJR went into the shop on 16Feb and still isn't finished. Repairs evidently went well until the last step of reflashing the ECU (?). Hopefully it'll be resolved this week.

Note to all: I'm told that the primary purpose of the reflashing is to step back the torque to reduce stress on the replacement 2nd gear. Does anyone know if this adjustment only effects 2nd gear or is it an across the board torque reduction?

Shuey

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
Is there a way to verify that the dealer reflashed the ECU during the recall work? My FJR went into the shop in Touring model and came out in Sport mode. Maybe that's a sign that some work was done here? I mean, I can't see why they would manually change the mode, so maybe reflashing resets the mode to Sport? Purely guessing here as you can tell

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I am active on the FJR forums and it isn't clear what exactly the reflash does. Still seeking clarity as I haven't got a Gen4 to test it. A couple have said it limits the rpm in second like a rev limiter of sorts, some have noticed no difference (they probably haven't tested it to the limits, my guess)...... here's what you do... take the bike in 1st gear to beyond 5000 rpm, even 6000. Shift into second, accelerate above 5000, even 6000 and see if any rev limiter kicks in. Apparently no change in anything above 2nd gear, which makes sense. It will hit the normal rev limiter of 9200.
Some may not have gotten the reflash as it was buried on the last page of the dealer instructions.... maybe you can opt out of getting the reflash.
Anyway, it's still unclear, and I have this hankering to call Yamaha corporate.........

Top Bottom