2003 ST 1300 as first bike?

Bike
2010 ST-1300
That looks like a nice bike. I wouldn't worry about "outgrowing" it. Most Americans say anything under 1000cc is a beginners bike:rolleyes:. Have your mechanic friend show you how to put new seals in the forks. Also check your brakes over real good. Calipers, hoses, ect.

Bike
03 st 1300
if your inseam is 34 and you are young and strong. And careful with the power. I think the word I’m looking for is mature.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Long thread from only Wednesday.
Now why is the factory fork brace gone? I'd check with the prev. owner.

I learned to ride on my dad's 81 Honda 900 custom. Never dropped it, rode all over upstate NY.

Then bought an 83 650 Nighthawk.

OP
OP

I learned to ride on my dad's 81 Honda 900 custom. Never dropped it, rode all over upstate NY.

the precious owner is a 19 year old kid who is heading out to air force academy in Colorado. He bought the bike a little over a year ago and only has ridden it 300 miles or less according the odometer readings. He says he wanted to learn but never had the time.

the thing that pisses me off is I was going over the title again last night while getting the vin number for insurance. Turns out the Title reads “Not actual mileage WARNING ODOMETER DISCREPANCY”

yes partly in caps!the kid swears he didn’t know. I wish I would of noticed as I would of paid half the amount for it. But the thing is my mechanic spent a good 45 minutes on it looking through everything and said it was a good buy. He didn’t look at the title and I was to busy making sure the title was notorized correctly. Still a little upset but happy the bike still is in good shape. Just no idea the actual mileage!!!

OP
OP
You need that part. I'd check Ebay. if you are in Phoenix there is a big motorcycle scrap yard by the Airport.
I did some more research. Apparently it is really common for this part to at least have a crack through it on this bike. A guy on the shadow forum said that any of them left in the junk yard will at least have a stress crack because it was made very strong and to just order a new one. A lot of people took a piece of steel and reenforced the original aluminum stabilizer

I am a little relieved as it is actually optional. It is mostly for a little better handling but there is no danger with riding the bike without it according to the research I have done on it. It is the front fork stabilizer.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
True. I will probably just get new tires and replace the petcock/ fix the small leak z
Fix any and all that is needed to be fixed if it's a safety concern regardless of the bike's age. People seem to think "why spend the money on an old bike" and while that may be true of cosmetic items, you should never skimp on required and safety items.

OP
OP
Fix any and all that is needed to be fixed if it's a safety concern regardless of the bike's age. People seem to think "why spend the money on an old bike" and while that may be true of cosmetic items, you should never skimp on required and safety items.
I will also order the fork stabilizer.Brakes andlights are all good

Something that probably should be mentioned...spend your money on the best helmet (under $300) jacket, gloves and riding pants first. Budget $800 - $1000 For all that if you dont already have it. May be elementary but thats more important than spending money on the first bike. Plus it will last you longer than the bike. Worth the money.

On the bike itself, the priority would be tires and brakes. Then chain (?) or shaft if it needs it. Head bearing should be checked.

I really would not worry about mileage. If its well maintained that is kind of irrelevant.

OP
OP
Something that probably should be mentioned...spend your money on the best helmet (under $300) jacket, gloves and riding pants first. Budget $800 - $1000 For all that if you dont already have it. May be elementary but thats more important than spending money on the first bike. Plus it will last you longer than the bike. Worth the money.

On the bike itself, the priority would be tires and brakes. Then chain (?) or shaft if it needs it. Head bearing should be checked.

I really would not worry about mileage. If its well maintained that is kind of irrelevant.
I have a friend who doesn’t ride anymore but purchased a bunch of newer safety gear that he will just five to me. Long story short, he for married and his new wife prefers he does not ride because someone in a car hit him last year on the way to work. He has a lot of gear he had just bought that is almost unused. Obviously I will purchase my own helmet. For now I have the one my grandpa used with the ST1300 it has never been in a crash and it fits well. It’s a nice full face helmet.

not that I am concerned about mileage, but I am concerned if I over paid for the bike based off of this oversight.
Brake pads are like brand new according to the mechanic. Like I said, he did a full inspection and everything is in order except for what I mentioned. We will also be doing all maintenance such as oil, coolant, air filter and anything else.
Also the shifter is a little oddley positioned so we will adjust that. It is much lower than the peg and very inconvenient to scoop the front of your foot under.

OP
OP
Now that's just buyer's remorse.
You got it, now make sure it's ready to ride and get out there before you broil! :D

Ride safe!
Mark
its not buyers remorse... haha I am happy I have the bike. I know to check the title better next time but either the person before him lied to him (because he claims he really didn’t know) or he is lying and either is not cool.i bought the bike based off having 13k miles.

but mechanic said it still can’t have too many miles or the engine would be in much worse shape so it is what it is I guess...I have no idea why the odometer would be rolled back though

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
the thing that pisses me off is I was going over the title again last night while getting the vin number for insurance. Turns out the Title reads “Not actual mileage WARNING ODOMETER DISCREPANCY”
I wouldn't sweat the odometer reading. For some reason, a lot of states don't care about actual mileage for a motorcycle that's more than ten years old. Case in point, when I recently moved to Utah and went to register my 2004 ST they asked about the mileage. I told them "89,xxx miles" and they asked, "are you sure you don't mean 8900 miles?" I told them "no, it has 89,xxx miles on it." When the paperwork came back it said, "EXEMPT." When I asked them about that they said that the bike was old enough that it didn't matter. Makes me wonder why they bothered asking about the mileage in the first place, but oh well.....

As for the fork brace....

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Sounds like it has a salvaged title.
The only problem your going to have with a Honda of that vintage is finding OEM parts for it.
Its going to be like an Easter Egg Hunt finding stuff like the petcock, fork brace, etc.
I'd be more concerned with hidden damage on the bike, like steering bearings and if the fork legs are bent, this could be the reason your missing the cross brace.
Your probably going to need a new clutch slave cylinder, and rebuild all of the master cylinders.
This may turn into quite a project for you in the long run, but at least you'll learn how to work on your own bike, as most dealerships won't work on a bike older than 10 years old now.
Good luck.

I have a friend who doesn’t ride anymore but purchased a bunch of newer safety gear that he will just five to me. Long story short, he for married and his new wife prefers he does not ride because someone in a car hit him last year on the way to work. He has a lot of gear he had just bought that is almost unused. Obviously I will purchase my own helmet. For now I have the one my grandpa used with the ST1300 it has never been in a crash and it fits well. It’s a nice full face helmet.

not that I am concerned about mileage, but I am concerned if I over paid for the bike based off of this oversight.
Brake pads are like brand new according to the mechanic. Like I said, he did a full inspection and everything is in order except for what I mentioned. We will also be doing all maintenance such as oil, coolant, air filter and anything else.
Also the shifter is a little oddley positioned so we will adjust that. It is much lower than the peg and very inconvenient to scoop the front of your foot under.
Sounds to me like you’ve done your homework and youre set to ride.

Good job! Ride safe and have fun!

Bike
2010 ST-1300
Sounds like it has a salvaged title.
The only problem your going to have with a Honda of that vintage is finding OEM parts for it.
Its going to be like an Easter Egg Hunt finding stuff like the petcock, fork brace, etc.
I'd be more concerned with hidden damage on the bike, like steering bearings and if the fork legs are bent, this could be the reason your missing the cross brace.
Your probably going to need a new clutch slave cylinder, and rebuild all of the master cylinders.
This may turn into quite a project for you in the long run, but at least you'll learn how to work on your own bike, as most dealerships won't work on a bike older than 10 years old now.
Good luck.
Are you sure it has a hydraulic clutch? I believe the rear brakes are drum so no hydraulics there. The front brake would be the only one. I'd replace the front brake hoses. And fluid. If you drive that bike for a year you got your money's worth even if you throw it away.

I was going to chime in too. Dont know what bike prices are out there in AZ, but around here any bike thats running with a clean title will run $1500-$2000 this time if year. The only thing youll see cheaper is a parts or project not running or something you cant get titled.

From what Ive seen you did good at that price. Your mechanic buddy would be smart enough to see if there was something major.

OP
OP
After some research it seems it is rare to find this

bike without a broken fork brace even in the junk yard because the original aluminum cracked easily. Ordered it I’ll post a video in a second

Top Bottom