2003 ST 1300 as first bike?

Glad you’re getting the Shadow. Those Honda Vtwins seems to run forever.

I am looking at an NT700V and it’s based on the same engine, but 25 years newer.

OP
OP
The Shadow. I'm hoping you're not planning on buying a non-running bike for that much.
And why would I do that? Have you read my posts about the older bike...if it is different than expected there is no deal lol. I have more than clarified that it is supposed to be in great running shape.

OP
OP
Picked up the bike it is in great shape. It needs a new Petcock, new tires due to rot and the right front blinker is knocked loose. Gauges work, all lights work as well as blinkers. It is just starting to show signs that the fork seals need replaced but just the beginning. Cold started nicely and turned choke off after about 15 seconds. Had the mechanic spend about 30 minutes going over everything and he felt it was worth the $1200. I should be able to get it up to pretty good shape with 3-500 bucks. I will get dealer wholesale on any parts and labor will not cost me much. Could of knocked it down a few hundred more. But decided to pay the $1200 and call it a day.

27B5F676-1062-45E9-B2AE-8064B2378127.jpeg

Bike
2000 ST1100
I would add don't pay a lot of money trying to fix it like new because you will probably out grow this bike pretty quick ( ST1300 calling your name) Quick. I made the mistake of buying a 250 cc motorcycle brand new and got rid of it in one year because my hands buzzed at max rpm's at 60 mph on the highway. Just saying keep that in mind.

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
Picked up the bike it is in great shape. It needs a new Petcock, new tires due to rot and the right front blinker is knocked loose. Gauges work, all lights work as well as blinkers. It is just starting to show signs that the fork seals need replaced but just the beginning. Cold started nicely and turned choke off after about 15 seconds. Had the mechanic spend about 30 minutes going over everything and he felt it was worth the $1200. I should be able to get it up to pretty good shape with 3-500 bucks. I will get dealer wholesale on any parts and labor will not cost me much. Could of knocked it down a few hundred more. But decided to pay the $1200 and call it a day.

Congrats!!

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
Regarding the longevity of an ST1300, I bought my 2007 new in 2008 and turned over 201,000 kms last fall (about 130,000 miles). During that time the only non-routine maintenance (i.e. tires, brakes, spark plugs, battery, farkles, etc.) I needed was servicing the secondary master cylinder and replacing the fuel pump. The valves still haven't needed adjustment! Here's a photo of what it looked like after it was cleaned up over the winter.

PS - Congrats on your new ride, I believe that was a wise choice.

20200404_120526.jpg

OP
OP
I would add don't pay a lot of money trying to fix it like new because you will probably out grow this bike pretty quick ( ST1300 calling your name) Quick. I made the mistake of buying a 250 cc motorcycle brand new and got rid of it in one year because my hands buzzed at max rpm's at 60 mph on the highway. Just saying keep that in mind.
True. I will probably just get new tires and replace the petcock/ fix the small leak z

Top Bottom