Camping 2022 Is Coming

Total camping green newbie guy here....
What's the smallest packing.....tent/sleeping bag/ground pad combination, but decent?

Total camping green newbie guy here....
What's the smallest packing.....tent/sleeping bag/ground pad combination, but decent?

If you're by yourself, get at least a 2-man tent. If you're 2-up, get at least a 3-man tent. I usually camp by myself. On short trips, and when space is limited (XR), I use a 2-man Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 (Superlight 2-man). It packs to a tad over 3 lbs.

1647979568077.png

When out for weeks at a time (GSA), I use a HB Nallo 3GT (3-man, bomb-proof, 4 season, expensive). Have had this tent for years, and in some very nasty wx with no issues.

1647980362076.png

Tent choice boils down to what type of camping you will be doing, a weekend trip in the spring-summer months, or touring anytime, anywhere, in any weather. There is a lot of good tents to choose from in the 3-season category. Do your research and homework, and decide what will work best for you.

Same goes for sleeping bag, again it depends what type of camping you will do. I use a good 4 season down bag due to the type of camping / touring I do. Down's pack a lot smaller that synth's do, and are warmer. Not to say there aren't very good synth bags out there. Again, make a decision based on what type of camping you do.

When it comes to camping gear in general (for moto camping), think backpacking type gear. Pull up Joe's link with excellent information to get started.

Jet boil for me too…. I use a collapsible drip device and real coffee though. Best time of the day!

1AE540BE-185C-47E2-A29B-46548BC35023.jpeg

Like Mellow, I too boil water and have real (instant) coffee with Mini Moo half and half. Hot delicious full size mug within minutes.

Did three nights under the stars in my hammock this weekend. All in various state parks / national forests in Tennessee. It was a bit chilly with temps in the mid 30s at night, but we survived. Hammock camping has revolutionized my outlook on motorcycle travel. No more poor sleep on the hard ground. No more looking for level sites free of roots and rocks. Just find two trees off the beaten path and I'm good to go!

20220318_183016.jpg

20220320_091248.jpg
20220321_074731.jpg

I imagine that the setup/tear down time is a lot less with a hammock compared to a ground tent. Perhaps enough time and effort savings to make it worthwhile to be in a new campground every night of a cross-country ride?

I imagine that the setup/tear down time is a lot less with a hammock compared to a ground tent. Perhaps enough time and effort savings to make it worthwhile to be in a new campground every night of a cross-country ride?
Not every campground has trees but they all have grounds lol... doesn't take long to setup or take down for me, I don't mind doing that every day on a long trip.

I may have to finally try one of my son's hammocks and see what the fuss is about. I've got trees right outside my back door willing to take the load that I've become.

As for coffee, once I discovered Starbuck Via instant packs, the drips and presses are more bother than they're worth for me. Though that nice crema from the nanopresso looks enticing.

Setup and tear down is very simple. While we're on the subject of coffee methods too, I actually make my coffee while I'm taking down the hammock. By the time the water boils and the coffee steeps, the hammock is all put up.

Joe is right though concerning cross country trips. Not everywhere has trees. However, I'm on the east coast and I would have to travel a very long way for that to be a concern.

Regarding trying a hammock out, do it! But just be mindful that a true backpacking style hammock like the one I use has some design feature that are specifically engineered to deal with some of the discomfort causes by cheaper gathered end hammocks most folks have around. Also, there's a very specific way you're supposed to hang a gathered end hammock to help out with staying comfortable all night. All that to say, try what you have available to you, but don't write it off if it doesn't work for you at first. Theres a bit of a learning curve to it.

Setup and tear down is very simple. While we're on the subject of coffee methods too, I actually make my coffee while I'm taking down the hammock. By the time the water boils and the coffee steeps, the hammock is all put up.

Joe is right though concerning cross country trips. Not everywhere has trees. However, I'm on the east coast and I would have to travel a very long way for that to be a concern.

Regarding trying a hammock out, do it! But just be mindful that a true backpacking style hammock like the one I use has some design feature that are specifically engineered to deal with some of the discomfort causes by cheaper gathered end hammocks most folks have around. Also, there's a very specific way you're supposed to hang a gathered end hammock to help out with staying comfortable all night. All that to say, try what you have available to you, but don't write it off if it doesn't work for you at first. Theres a bit of a learning curve to it.
Thanks, I get that. We attended a great seminar at a Boy Scout event that covered those things I wouldn't have considered without some guidance, such as the manner of wedging yourself into the opposite ends of the hammock to keep your back flat, etc...

The big quality of life addition for me might be that urinal. :rolleyes:

Big Agnes Blacktail 2 Hotel was the tent choice. There is a large consensus that the BA gear is worthy of the money. I was comparing the Lone Rider series. The ADV(?) vestibule looks to small and the MOTO looks grand, but to big.

Sleeping bag and pad to match. I did not compare with any others.

A collapsable alcohol stove that I will use as a stand in a fire pit for the tea kettle. This adds to redundant stove options as well.

Some other quality of life bits I will post later.

1648187391313.png

1648188162203.png

1648188352351.png

1648188709739.png

My .02... don't go for smallest... you have lots of room on an ST, unless you're carrying a pillion. Get a dry bag and carry all you want. I have a 4-man tent, an REI 2.5" pad, sleeping bag, cooking gear, etc, so all that takes up a bit of room. But room is no problem with a 50L dry bag strapped down behind me with ROK straps. Makes for a good back rest as well.

Also, lots of good info in the Camping forum.
I had a 3 man tent till I was camping and had some 60 mph winds blowing the tent nearly flat.

@Kevin_56 should remember last year. I think it was LOCSTOC when there was a very windy storm. It blew the Easy-Up over and also took down my Noah's tarp. Pulled the tarp right off the poles so it ended up flapping like a flag over one end of my tent, and bent one of the nail stakes for the pole most upwind. But my tent was not bothered by it. That's what I like about the double crossing of the main poles on my tent. Wind has yet to threaten to blow my tent over. Alps Mountaineering Extreme 2 person. I've thought that I would go with the 3 person should I need to replace it.

Yikes, I would have been in a hotel room on a night like that! ;)
forecast was good, beautiful calm night with storms east of me earlier. About 3 am had strong sudden winds for about 1/2 hour. Listening to the weather at breakfast they said gusts were around 60 mph. the tent held up but didn't feel comfortable with the sides blowing almost flat on me. After that I bought a smaller tent that was wind resistant.

forecast was good, beautiful calm night with storms east of me earlier. About 3 am had strong sudden winds for about 1/2 hour. Listening to the weather at breakfast they said gusts were around 60 mph. the tent held up but didn't feel comfortable with the sides blowing almost flat on me. After that I bought a smaller tent that was wind resistant.
Yeah I figured, just joshin' ya. ;)

I had something similar camping in Kansas (who would have guessed) on the way to NatSTOC one year, had to lean against the inside of the tent to support it... no place to run so I figured I'd ether be there when it died down or a few feet away.. lol That was a 2 man tent

I had something similar camping in Kansas (who would have guessed) on the way to NatSTOC one year, had to lean against the inside of the tent to support it... no place to run so I figured I'd ether be there when it died down or a few feet away.. lol That was a 2 man tent
I went and got one that looks a little more aerodynamic

Yeah, I have learned that no matter how calm the weather forecast is to thoroughly stake down my tent and pole tarp. You just never know. I’ve also learned to always close my tent fly completely before leaving for a day ride. It doesn’t take much of a thunderstorm to create some strong gusts…….

Camping much closer to home on this trip. Waiting to leave is the hardest part. Here is some new accommodations for this year.
1649419215786.png Background is the new kit, looking forward to more room and comfort.

Back
Top Bottom