$300 '97 ST1100 Refurb Thread

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
I like these personal journey threads, and I promised to share the renovation of this bike with the seller, so here goes.

A week ago I went to look at a '97 on Craigslist about 15 miles away for $1,000 that had 74k miles and had been sitting on non-op for 5+ years. It was a little rough but nothing appeared to be terribly wrong that some basic maintenance couldn't cure, but I already had a red ST, and I was just about to kick off a '78 CB550 floor-sweep project so I decided to walk away. My garage ain't all that large. I sort of forgot about the bike for a few days until I decided to see if anyone here had any interest in it as an excuse to not buy it and just as a favor to the seller. He seemed to be a good guy. https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/1997-st1100-non-abs.176450/

I wasn't sure the seller knew of this forum, so I sent him the link to the ad and wishes for luck. He saw my '96 in person and some photos of the '76 CB550F I did a few years back, and probably got tired of the idiots and dopes one is often forced to deal with. His current bike is a ST1300, but he wanted this one to be treated well so he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Two days later it's in a trailer on the way home to my garage. Even my ever-patient wife who likes to poke fun at my projects and ask "Why would anyone ever need/want (insert fun hobby or number of something here) ?" really didn't have much to say this time other than she doubts I'll be able to confine my work to simply getting it running. She knows me.

Initial assessment is that it runs with the enrichener engaged, the brakes are dragging, tires are past the expiration date, a bit of broken plastic to address and some general crustiness, but it's in good shape otherwise. These moto-trailers are seriously useful and cheap to rent. I added some straps to the tip-over wings after this shot. Not going that far to get home, but no way I'm going to mess this up.

51132352098_ea593d8441_c.jpg

I wish it was black just for some variety, but I certainly can't complain. For some reason, every bike I buy is orange or red.

51134330083_88a6714d1f_c.jpg

So Saturday hits and I decided it was time to get crackin' on this project and I noticed the brake pedal takes too much travel to activate the light, the front lever won't activate it at all, the turn signals don't work and the controller is stiff. I adjusted the pedal to pull earlier, but haven't dug into the lever yet. I opened the left control housing, scraped out the old grease and hit it with some circuit cleaner and silicone paste. The horn button seems like it could use some more attention, but the signals and switch function properly as does the dimmer switch (which was a little funky.)

With that done, I started to strip it down and give it a bath. I also grabbed the multi-meter and found a healthy at rest voltage and a healthy 14 point something when running. I wasn't planning to dig too deep in to the rear end, and knowing if the alternator was bad now would let me adjust my plans. Not sure the battery is going to last long, but for now it acts properly.

51137149189_6da05952e2_c.jpg

This old girl was living life near the bay, so corrosion is more of an issue than inland. Did you ever try the aluminum foil and water trick on chrome? I have heard people use Coke, but I find water works fine and won't attract ants. I decided to hit this along the way.

51137149714_b8f5199287_c.jpg

Still pitted, but free of rust. Some metal polish will help it stay that way.
51135696747_5470125d22_c.jpg

At some point in the afternoon, I had a pile of parts..
51137151034_c4e59a9af3_c.jpg

And a naked ST.
51136373556_8f8caaf160_c.jpg

The Progressive Suspension rear shock appears to have died somewhere along the way based on all the oily crud on it and the area immediately below it. I emailed them about rebuilding, but I'm not hopeful based on some of the suspension threads I've seen.

51137151319_ee141a488e_c.jpg

It was getting on near dinner time and I wanted one more quick win. If your top case ever seems floppy, take a look at the support - it might be broken. This one was, and the way the metal didn't fit together perfect along the entire break suggests it has some mileage post-break.
51137481165_eaa26496a7_c.jpg

I only have O/A for metalwork, so I decided instead of brazing (which I really enjoy) I'd gas weld it (which I really don't enjoy as much..) It's not terribly pretty, but the pieces are back together. I can see my '96 was welded at some point in its life, so I guess not too uncommon.

51136588373_e1a9e2174c_c.jpg

That's where things stand after day 1. I need to start ordering some parts for a planned bunch of maintenance on the brakes, cooling system, carbs, tires, etc. The front turn signals are broken so I think I'm going to order another set of clear lenses and LED signals, and I hope to have it back on the road in a month or two.

My wife commented on all the parts sitting in the living room, but until we're past this Covid thing, it's not like we'll be entertaining..

If your top case ever seems floppy, take a look at the support - it might be broken.
That's not uncommon for 1100s. I don't have one so I don't know if it's just because a topbox gets loaded too heavy too often for too long or what. If you haven't already you might want to reenforce the other side.

I can see my '96 was welded at some point in its life, so I guess not too uncommon.
I missed that the first time round. <never mind>

That's not uncommon for 1100s. I don't have one so I don't know if it's just because a topbox gets loaded too heavy too often for too long or what. If you haven't already you might want to reinforce the other side.

It's a very common issue. Looks like you can weld, so as everything is open I'd proactively weld in some kind of plate or strap to bridge and overlap the 2 holes (on both sides) Honda thoughtfully put in the wrong place and you'll never have another issue with it.

Thanks for posting... I look forward to following along.

I like the welding job. That came out quite well. As for the rest of the ST, you could elect to resurrect it back to working status, complete with panniers and all (paint like I did to my 94), or if you’re really looking to do something interesting, convert it to a cafe bike as some have done. That way, it’s like having 2 completely different STs. I don’t have the know how to do that, but it does make for an interesting project.

in the 2 pics above you’re looking at minimal paint on just a few panels and figuring out the headlight issue up front, but otherwise taking an ST and making it similar to the Japanese standard bikes of the past. Just an idea, of course.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about brazing some flat plate over the holes, but I don't really put anything heavy up top. It would be an excuse to fire up the torch, though..

Today I got the fuel tank out and started in on the carbectomy. Not sure what I'll do with three or four gallons of old gas, just yet.
It's actually raining here, so quarters are a bit cramped, and these Helibars are going to get the treatment at some point soon.

51139168829_780ba5db2a_c.jpg

The insulators are fairly hard, so that's on the parts list. And like a dope, I made this harder on myself by thinking the #1 lower clamp was loose, but it wasn't. I had found a screw with the magnetic tip screwdriver that I though (thought) had backed out and all was loose. Nope. Anyhow, it's pretty crusty in there, and the hoses are politely asking to be retired, although the one on the right side looks to be in suspiciously better condition for lack of corrosion. And the top inner bolt for the timing belt inspection cover is missing. That's concerning since the layer of dust inside makes me think this rig has seen Burning Man a time or two.

51139168809_5d0c836b89_c.jpg

Then the radiator came out, and the coolant looks okay, but the plastic drain plug broke and is listed as no longer available. I could probably fix this one or make one on the lathe, but O'Reilly has got to have some cheap plug for $3, don't they?

51139168834_86060e51d5_c.jpg

Great work! There are several refurbishment tales on this site over the years. I love this particular old bike, have a 1991 for what will be seven years in August of this year. This is it going back together this past Autumn. Refurbishment/rebuilding of old bikes is a passion of mine. Save the Whales.

1619396725830.png

Thanks kind words and encouragement, fellas. I have two projects to keep me busy these days, but I think I'll push the CB off until winter. Here's where things stand.

51138978613_31d11ba443_c.jpg

I also found (to my surprise) some leftover .0625" mild steel strip from some past project that escapes me. It's enough for three braces, and I have another piece that would work but not look as nicely done.

51139533529_4bffb06b6c_c.jpg

Now I'm kicking around the idea of doing the timing belt while I'm in there already if the PO never had it done. And service the steering bearings. And service the forks. Those are all items that will be new adventures to me, but nothing appears terribly daunting.

Nice weld job! Thanks for posting up your project and your progress. That right coolant hose looks pretty swollen. Will you be replacing those aluminum elbows at the hose ends?

Now I'm kicking around the idea of doing the timing belt while I'm in there already if the PO never had it done. And service the steering bearings. And service the forks. Those are all items that will be new adventures to me, but nothing appears terribly daunting.

I replaced the timing belt on mine right after I bought it. It was 24 years old at the time and looked 'almost' indistinguishable from the new replacement. Could have lasted per the 90,000 mile change recommendation, maybe not. There is a Youtube video on belt replacement that shows the job performed on a workbench, engine out. This task was much more clearly depicted than the several others trying to record around things with the engine installed. I did the job engine-in, of course.
None of the 'tight access' work is daunting, just a bit time consuming to remove and replace all the plasticwork.

All that stuff I hope to never see again for the next 60k+ is getting replaced, elbows included. I spoke to the PO and was told no timing belt on his watch which began at 20k. So I'm thinking I'll get in there for the belt change even though it looks okay, and I'll make sure the water pump is also in good shape.

I started ordering parts carb/fuel related, and cooling system related from Adept. I doubt I'll see anything this weekend, so I'll take a look at the timing belt/water pump, the brakes and the front suspension. I figure I'll keep ordering parts in groups so I can work on whatever happens to show up. Sometimes they'll delay an order while waiting for one part, and this way I won't care.

Edit: Uh, oh. The elbows are on backorder from the manufacturer according to the email I got. Partzilla had two on ebay that were a bit more and now I have to pay shipping, but at least I'll have them. The two 90* fuel lines from the splitter to the carb are also apparently out. I'm sure I can rig something suitable with bulk line if nobody has the pre-bent lines.

Last edited:
I dunno if I'd mess with the timing belt or waterpump. Check the belt, if it looks good, should be fine. A waterpump either leaks or it doesn't. I got the impression this was a budget deal? Hoses, t-stat, de-PAIR, fluids, brake/clutch rebuild is relatively short money. I wouldn't even mess with the forks if the seals are good. Change the fluid, maybe a set of Sonic Springs, but that can be done with it all still assembled. Get it sorted out with the basics, make sure it runs good. Timing belt and waterpump next season, after its proven there's no glaring problems. Just my thoughts. Loving this thread though!
RT

Do yourself a favor and replace all the hoses and o-rings under the carbs while you have it apart. Those have a habit of blowing at the most inopportune times. Don't ask me how I know that (it happened on my 01 1100).

I got the impression this was a budget deal?
Nope, I have a soft target of keeping the whole cost under around $2k just based on what I think it will be worth on the low end but I'm also going to fancy it up a bit with some LED lighting, ignition relay mod and such. I just like futzing around with older bikes and this was a deal I wasn't able to turn down. Thanks for following along.

Nope, I have a soft target of keeping the whole cost under around $2k just based on what I think it will be worth on the low end but I'm also going to fancy it up a bit with some LED lighting, ignition relay mod and such. I just like futzing around with older bikes and this was a deal I wasn't able to turn down. Thanks for following along.

I had a bit of a search for the hoses and tubes under the carbs. I bought a 'complete' set from an ebay seller right after I bought the bike. Only the two that attach to the fittings fit. I spent an inordinate amount of time finding all the proper id 'bulk' hoses....ended up buying the 3.5 and 4 mm vents on ebay. The preformed hoses were available from Partzilla and those fit. The radiator hoses I got from Partzilla did not fit, although still sealed in Honda plastic wrap....spent more time at O'Reilly's matching contours, and found close-enough's but they needed to be cut to proper length.
I had planned a week for the job, it turned into five mostly waiting on parts that I had not anticipated needing.
It's always, mostly anyway, worth the effort.

I'm actually considering buying a few of the items like the hoses for the inevitable out of stock message.

Anyone know if a mirror housing from a silver '91 will fit this bike. I found one locally that would save me repair time since they'll both need paint. I can't tell from the photos and getting anywhere in the Bay Area takes time.

I have a soft target of keeping the whole cost under around $2k just based on what I think it will be worth on the low end...

@Smudgemo, that's a very very interesting thread to read and follow. Thanks.

It reminds me, couple years ago, on a small aviation forum, one guy (an airplane mechanic) was bringing an old airplane back to life in his spare time.
Some folks on the forum started to ask him how he was expecting to make some money out of it, when he will resell it.

His answer was : it's not about reselling it to make profit.
It's about bringing that plane back from the valley of the death, from scrapyard, and allowing it to fly above the clouds again. It's about rebirth and having a new life.

That makes some guys laugh : rebirth, death, life ?
That's just a machine, man. Not a living thing.
He answered : well... to me, it's more than just a machine : it's the pair of wings that is missing in my back.

Honda-Logo-300x300.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom