Add Switch to GPS Power

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I want to add a switch to my GPS power so I can use it on my bike without the key on and without pulling down the GPS battery. Currently it's on key switched power from a Fuzeblock, which works well. I'd like to add the switch as shown below. Note the the 12V>5V inline transformer for the GPS is not shown. The switch would of course be on the 12V side of that. I've actually got two GPS mounted that I'd like to add a switch to, one for each.

See any issues with this, or maybe a better way to do it? TIA!

1588254573219.png

Edit: To clarify some things...
  • Right now, this is just a mental/forum exercise. Not sure if I'm going to actually do it, just wanted to flesh it out so to speak, see what the STO hive thinks.
  • I want to be able to use the GPS with the bike turned off and without using GPS battery power.
  • Just to be 100% clear, this will be a switch physically mounted somewhere on the bike and the GPS will remain in it's powered cradle.

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST1300
I am not sure if what you want to do will work.
The GPS will power up with the bike, then if you throw the switch it will interrupt the power from the bike and continue on GPS power without killing the bike battery?
Does that sound right?

Bike
2007 ST1300
I have the garmin Zumo 550 and the power lead wires are tiny, I think it would a challenge to solder a connection on that tiny of a wire but not impossible.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I am not sure if what you want to do will work.
The GPS will power up with the bike, then if you throw the switch it will interrupt the power from the bike and continue on GPS power without killing the bike battery?
Does that sound right?
I would only use the switch when the bike is off.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I would only use the switch when the bike is off.
When the bike is off you would only use the GPS battery anyway because the switch power is off through the fuze block.
You have already solved your question. With the bike off just turn on the garmin using the GPS power switch and it already will only run on its own power ( use the switch on the GPS) instead and you don't have to add anything. :biggrin:

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
When the bike is off you would only use the GPS battery anyway because the switch power is off through the fuze block.
You have already solved your question. With the bike off just turn on the garmin using the GPS power switch and it already will only run on its own power ( use the switch on the GPS) instead and you don't have to add anything. :biggrin:
As I mentioned, I'm adding the switch from the bike's battery so I don't have to use the GPS battery. I know, not a big thing, but as GPS batteries age, they don't last long at all.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Paul - This may be way off, but if using the GPS without the bike power is the real need, you can pickup a 120v to 12v cigar plug pretty cheap.
I bought one of those and a cigar plug to USB adapter so I could work with my GPS in the motel room.

Then you just need a USB plug adapter -

This works great for my Chinavasion as it figures out that it is not plugged into a computer so it operates just fine.
You can find the stuff I listed probably cheaper somewhere besides Amazon but that gives you the general idea.

Bike
2007 ST1300
As I mentioned, I'm adding the switch from the bike's battery so I don't have to use the GPS battery.
Got it now - got confused then I read your first post- o_O
In regards to that- it would be risky in that if you forget to turn off the GPS the bike battery could be dead in the morning. My Zumo is very old and I have not experienced any issues with the units battery, I guess I have been lucky.
Good luck in what ever you decide.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Paul - This may be way off, but if using the GPS without the bike power is the real need, you can pickup a 120v to 12v cigar plug pretty cheap.
I bought one of those and a cigar plug to USB adapter so I could work with my GPS in the motel room.

Then you just need a USB plug adapter -

This works great for my Chinavasion as it figures out that it is not plugged into a computer so it operates just fine.
You can find the stuff I listed probably cheaper somewhere besides Amazon but that gives you the general idea.
Agreed on all points, but then I've got to pull the GPS off the mount and connect it to my existing USB ports. Bt I don't want to hassle with that, I just want to throw a switch. ;)

Bike
R1200rt
As I mentioned, I'm adding the switch from the bike's battery so I don't have to use the GPS battery. I know, not a big thing, but as GPS batteries age, they don't last long at all.
yes that should work but I would put a diode in there. If you accidentally start the bike with the switch on, the starter draw could suck the battery down in the gps. Durring cranking the battery voltage could drop 10.5 to 11 volts . That surge could damage the gps. I don't see a need to do that, my gps battery life is about 6hrs.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Got it now - got confused then I read your first post- o_O
In regards to that- it would be risky in that if you forget to turn off the GPS the bike battery could be dead in the morning. My Zumo is very old and I have not experienced any issues with the units battery, I guess I have been lucky.
Good luck in what ever you decide.
Yes, the risk is I forget to turn the switch off. I was thinking about a timed switch, maybe set to an hour or so.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
yes that should work but I would put a diode in there. If you accidentally start the bike with the switch on, the starter draw could suck the battery down in the gps. Durring cranking the battery voltage could drop 10.5 to 11 volts . That surge could damage the gps. I don't see a need to do that, my gps battery life is about 6hrs.
Thanks! That's one reason why I posted this... I was wondering what would happen if I started the bike with the switch on. Suggestions on the right diode, just one to match the voltage and current?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Agreed on all points, but then I've got to pull the GPS off the mount and connect it to my existing USB ports. Bt I don't want to hassle with that, I just want to throw a switch. ;)
No, this would be for 'off' the bike in a motel room or at home. So that's not your need then - but not a bad option for planning. ;)

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
No, this would be for 'off' the bike in a motel room or at home. So that's not your need then - but not a bad option for planning. ;)
I've got several options for off-bike use... battery packs, USB chargers, cables, etc.

Right now, this is just a mental/forum exercise. Not sure if I'm going to actually do it, just wanted to flesh it out so to speak, see what the STO hive thinks.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Paul, as you have the diagram drawn, your switch would also energize any other circuit on the same (switched or unswitched) side of the fuse block.

I have a simple suggestion: Use a SPDT switch, with the common terminal feeding the GPS, and each of the other terminals coming from each power source. One from the fuse block as now, and the other from your added fused wire.

Top Bottom