OP
paulcb

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Paul, as you have the diagram drawn, your switch would also energize any other circuit on the same (switched or unswitched) side of the fuse block.

I have a simple suggestion: Use a SPDT switch, with the common terminal feeding the GPS, and each of the other terminals coming from each power source. One from the fuse block as now, and the other from your added fused wire.
Thank you Larry, was hoping you'd chime in on this. I thought of something like that in the general sense, but couldn't figure out how to do it... your explanation makes perfect sense.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Thanks! That's one reason why I posted this... I was wondering what would happen if I started the bike with the switch on. Suggestions on the right diode, just one to match the voltage and current?
OK, the GPS battery won't back feed into the bike. But powering up the circuit as shown will power up everything on the switched side of the relay in the fuse box.

A standard 1n4001 diode will work. Put it after the feed from the fuse and before the input from the switch.

Nothing wrong with this. Done plenty of these types of things myself. A timed switch isn't a bad idea so you can't forget. And I like Larry's idea. Just don't forget to set it back. Again, a timed switch.

Bike
R1200rt
Thanks! That's one reason why I posted this... I was wondering what would happen if I started the bike with the switch on. Suggestions on the right diode, just one to match the voltage and current?
Larry is right , above post. You would have to diode the feed line to the gps between the fues block and the switch splice. double diode and I don't know what or where to get one . If you had a old GM alternator around it has a triple diode tree that might work. or this auto diode dont know specs https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Aptiv-formerly-Delphi/12135037-B?qs=xTCAHnnYCzEMGVOH7nVa%2Bg==&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8Ynj8cGQ6QIVDdbACh3jLgaAEAQYAyABEgIpp_D_BwE or https://www.ebay.com/i/264508765540?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=264508765540&targetid=884572167531&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9021626&poi=&campaignid=9423619092&mkgroupid=97011544713&rlsatarget=pla-884572167531&abcId=1141016&merchantid=6296724&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjtnOzcGQ6QIVhIbACh1wPgHlEAQYBCABEgLOdfD_BwE

Bike
R1200rt
I want to add a switch to my GPS power so I can use it on my bike without the key on and without pulling down the GPS battery. Currently it's on key switched power from a Fuzeblock, which works well. I'd like to add the switch as shown below. Note the the 12V>5V inline transformer for the GPS is not shown. The switch would of course be on the 12V side of that. I've actually got two GPS mounted that I'd like to add a switch to, one for each.

See any issues with this, or maybe a better way to do it? TIA!

1588254573219.png

Edit: To clarify some things...
  • Right now, this is just a mental/forum exercise. Not sure if I'm going to actually do it, just wanted to flesh it out so to speak, see what the STO hive thinks.
  • I want to be able to use the GPS with the bike turned off and without using GPS battery power.
  • Just to be 100% clear, this will be a switch physically mounted somewhere on the bike and the GPS will remain in it's powered cradle.
:rofl1: it started as a simple project 3 post while I was typing my last one

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I guess I have a different mentality than a lot of people. This sounds like a big workaround, just to save the hassle of wiring to the battery and... y'know... using the switch built into the unit.

Bike
2005 st1300
I am a fan of a timed switch as well. I would consider a timer module on the switched power from the fuzeblock so that after you shut the bike off, the line continues to be live for the set duration. The benefit is no need to run a separate switch. The drawback is it is live for the duration every time you shut the bike off. That may not be a huge issue. If you are walking away from the bike, chances are you may be taking the gps with you anyhow, or you could shut off the unit.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I guess I have a different mentality than a lot of people. This sounds like a big workaround, just to save the hassle of wiring to the battery and... y'know... using the switch built into the unit.
That‘s a simple solution....except. The GPS will continue to recharge its internal battery, even when turned off, resulting in a dead bike battery after about a week. Been there, done that.

John

Reactions: T_C

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've got several options for off-bike use... battery packs, USB chargers, cables, etc.

Right now, this is just a mental/forum exercise. Not sure if I'm going to actually do it, just wanted to flesh it out so to speak, see what the STO hive thinks.
I typically wire the GPS to unswitched power with it's own inline fuse, usually the supplied one in the GPS power cable. Beginning with the earliest mapping GPS I had, a Garmin 2730, it did not have an internal battery and I wanted to be able to use it in the campground while on the road. All bikes since then I wire like that. I know I run the risk of leaving the GPS on but in over 330,000 miles I did it only once and that was in my garage.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
That‘s a simple solution....except. The GPS will continue to recharge its internal battery, even when turned off, resulting in a dead bike battery after about a week. Been there, done that.

John
Take the battery out.

He has outboard solutions for external power anyway, as he said earlier ( for hotel rooms and whatnot).

I guess I just have a different outlook.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Because it does not shut off the GPS charger. Many folks have already learned (the hard way) that leaving the GPS in the cradle that is hardwired to the bike will drain the bikes battery. It does keep the GPS nicely charged so you can use it to find the nearest part store. ;)

PS Ohh.. yeah... what nashcat said.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Take the battery out.

He has outboard solutions for external power anyway, as he said earlier ( for hotel rooms and whatnot).

I guess I just have a different outlook.
Im not sure which GPS that Paul has, but a Zumo 660 won‘t boot up, without an internal battery. I just went to the garage to verify. All you get is the Garmin logo screen, with the message, “Insert Battery”.

John

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Because it does not shut off the GPS charger. Many folks have already learned (the hard way) that leaving the GPS in the cradle that is hardwired to the bike will drain the bikes battery. It does keep the GPS nicely charged so you can use it to find the nearest part store. ;)

PS Ohh.. yeah... what nashcat said.
I've never had this happen with the 2730 (well, once. I left it on for a week), the 550, or my 396. I do ride quite often but rotating bikes sometimes one will sit for two or three weeks.

I don't know how the charger regulates itself but if the GPS battery is in good shape it's going to be charged when you park the bike. Since the charge current is equal to or less than the battery voltage the only way it can regulate itself is to ramp down amperage to close to zero just enough to offset the self discharge rate of the battery. That has to be a tiny amount of current but it would run a MC battery down in time. I think, I could be wrong, if you use the GPS power switch to turn off the unit it completely shuts down, including the battery charger. If the bike is wired to switched power and you turn off the GPS by turning off the ignition key it goes into a sleep or power saving mode and the battery charger remains on. By using unswitched power I always turn the unit completely off. A switched power supply keyed off unwittingly leaves the charger on all the time.

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Just to add, my SPDT switch idea doesn't need a diode.

Doesn't every rider carry a portable jump starter? I do.
I did on long rides. Around town, nope. Just checked mine the other day and looks liek the batteries died. Left it to charge 24 hours and nothing going ino the system. Guess it's time to crack it open. :nuke1:

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
No way I'm wiring the GPS direct to the battery. Even with the GPS off or pulled out, the transformer will still consume a little power. BTDT.

Top Bottom