Advice regarding ST1300 vs. R1200RT

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Assuming the bike has been stored indoors my opinion is that on a 2010 with only 2, 000 miles the only things that you need to be concerned about is the tires, the condition of the gas tank/fuel pump and the battery.

The tires deteriorate with age regardless of use so replacing them might be required. However I would not do so before seeing them. I believe that deterioration of tires solely based on age and nothing else is something that is greatly exaggerated. If they have been stored indoors, inflated and out of the harmful rays of the sun they may well still be good.

At only 2, 000 miles the brake and clutch fluids have seen an irrelevant number of heat cycles. While I would most definitely flush them at the earliest opportunity I don't think that there is much cause for concern of any damage having been inflicted because they have never been flushed.

Similarly the coolant has not seen any significant heat cycles. Whiles it turns acidic with age this process happens more slowly when the coolant is never subjected to the heat of an operating engine. It needs to be flushed but I don't see any reason to be overly concerned about it.

If the battery is the original, regardless of whether the engine starts well or not, it should be replaced. If it is not the original you are no worse off than you are buying any other used bike where you do not know the true condition of the battery.

If the bike was not stored indoors in a relatively stable temperature/humidity environment with a full tank of gas (preferably ethanol free) there may be an issue with a rusty lower tank and fuel pump. Even if this were the case I would not let that deter me as these items are easily repaired.

In short if it starts and runs well you are getting what is basically a new bike in return for an investment in some maintenance. And don't forget that all of these things can be used to your advantage to negotiate the price lower to offset the cost of this maintenance.

OP
OP
NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial

Site Supporter
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Where is the 2010 that is 1200 miles away? Maybe a handy ST'er is nearby, can check it out, maybe even do some/all of the services for 50% of the fee?
It's in Conway, South Carolina (which appears to be flooding!):eek:

The title of this thread is no longer accurate, as I've decided against the BMW. If I buy anything before fall, it'll almost certainly be an ST1300 ABS (although I'm not ruling out an ST1100 ABS).

Many many discussions with the CFO have happened.
She's not convinced I'd be happy with a bike where I don't love the color (I love the 2005 Red and the 2007 Silver seems nice in pictures).

I'll perform yet another search here and via cycle trader.

ATA

Bike
2007 ST1300
It's in Conway, South Carolina (which appears to be flooding!):eek:

The title of this thread is no longer accurate, as I've decided against the BMW. If I buy anything before fall, it'll almost certainly be an ST1300 ABS (although I'm not ruling out an ST1100 ABS).

Many many discussions with the CFO have happened.
She's not convinced I'd be happy with a bike where I don't love the color (I love the 2005 Red and the 2007 Silver seems nice in pictures).

I'll perform yet another search here and via cycle trader.
I was convinced I had to have a black one...the wife too...her mouth dropped open when she saw me pulling into the driveway on my silver '07. Love it! Just sayin'...lower miles and condition are going to trump color in most cases.

Bike
2015 Yamaha FJR1300
Here is a suggestion:

Put a request out for handy ST'ers that would be willing to do some or all of the services needed, compile the list of locations and use that to filter your search results for a bike.

You get the needed services done, learn how to do it yourself, meet another ST'er, and save some money (even accounting for the donation to the volunteer). I would also recommend buying some of the parts ahead of the trip and having them shipped to the volunteer's location (that list can be easily compiled) so you are ready when you show up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I think you are over thinking this. I bought a used 06 with 6000 miles on it back in 11, I changed the tires, and brakes when they wore out. I changed fluids at wide but regular intervals. She sits in the parking lot in the sun at work and in the driveway (outside) at night. [ no garage queen here ]. First major service was at 108,500 miles for a small oil leak (water pump) and valve adjust. Had a few other minor things replaced since she was apart. Next service will be at 150k..... Just get it and go ride. Your biggest expenses will be adding farkels and gas! ......

I've owned a number of motorcycles, relative to this post, a 2002 Valkyrie, St1100, ST1300, K1300GT, R1150RT, r1200. So here is the skinny, low down. First off, what kind of engine strums your heart string? The tractor, industrial machine with its 'çharacter' or a smooth gas turbine with plenty of power on reserve? Refined machinery, all components, created by intelligent engineers of the applied sciences? Then Honda is your ticket, the motor hums, runs forever, the shaft drive does not buck, and doesn't do the side-winder (like an r1200) thing when you crank the throttle. It breaks reasonably, not so crazy strong that the Mack dump truck in back of you just runs you over. When you start an r1200 the first thing you ask yourself is, is this ok? For whacky engineering, you have to wonder why they designed a manual choke with electronic fuel injection. No wonder starting problems are always a debate in BMW land. The K1300 was bear strong, but the Germans (not the K1600!, they learned, finally) thinks high rpms is good, even at 1300cc. Well, with high rpm comes the dethrottle and torque break with high rpm motors, which makes for a driving experience that's herky jerky. The K1300 had plenty of power, but to go 80mph it cranked at 4000rpm+.....for a 1300 motor that's just wrong wrong wrong wrong. A 2007 Electra Glide is smooth and quiet at 80mph, like a bird, as it should be. German engineering has a reputation, Japan engineering has the laurels, and American engineering brings home the bacon. When I got back from my trip through the Alps on a rented k1300, I embraced and kissed my ST1100 at home and swore it foreever loyalty. I couldn't enjoy the Alps cause I was constantly annoyed with the K1300, forever up and down shifting 2-3 gear, and asking why why why, a Kawi 650 does all this in 3rd gear, no shifting, just better engineering. The cruise control and heated grip/set are the only thing worthwhile on BMW's. The boxer is junk, the driv train crude but complicated, yet can not match a Japanese product. Yes, the r1200 is light but you sit high, it's narrow, and when you punch the throttle the thing side-winds and makes you feel like riding a Steckenpferd. The K1300 bucks up, a 2002 Valkyrie does not. Yuk. Also, BMW has some quality problems that just should not happen, at low miles too. Even some new gen 1000xr need work at low milage that a Japanese bike never does.

Last edited:
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
lutz, you obviously have not drunk the Kool-aid. :D

I probably mentioned this at some point, but the boxer engine does not impress me. It's interesting for people to see cylinder heads sticking out to each side, but IMHO, it is an archaic design that makes me question why. If you dump your BMW in OEM form in the parking lot...what is the first thing to come in contact with the ground? Oh...the engine heads. Not the foot pegs. Not something inexpensive to replace. But the engine heads. If you're lucky, you just scratch them up. If not... This is German engineering at its finest.

On the other hand, the ST1300, ST1100 and NT700V all have designed into the bike, engine tip-over protection. Designed into the bike. It works. And if you mess up the rubber boot over the metal structure underneath...it costs about $11 to replace. On the BMW, you have to spend hundreds to buy some engine protection because they couldn't be bothered to design it in.

Chris

Bike
VStrom 650
lutz, you obviously have not drunk the Kool-aid. :D

I probably mentioned this at some point, but the boxer engine does not impress me. It's interesting for people to see cylinder heads sticking out to each side, but IMHO, it is an archaic design that makes me question why. If you dump your BMW in OEM form in the parking lot...what is the first thing to come in contact with the ground? Oh...the engine heads. Not the foot pegs. Not something inexpensive to replace. But the engine heads. If you're lucky, you just scratch them up. If not... This is German engineering at its finest.

On the other hand, the ST1300, ST1100 and NT700V all have designed into the bike, engine tip-over protection. Designed into the bike. It works. And if you mess up the rubber boot over the metal structure underneath...it costs about $11 to replace. On the BMW, you have to spend hundreds to buy some engine protection because they couldn't be bothered to design it in.

Chris
Chris,
The reason they don't build it in is because we are all daft enough to pay for the extras after. After all two hard nylon covers would cost cents on the production line to install. That's E cents not $ cents. Yes you can't deny that Honda got so many things right about the ST1100 and carried many over to the 13. Good old Honda.
Have you seen the piccie I posted today of the new 850GT? That's if the journo's know what they're talking about.
Upt'North.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
One of the other engineering feats I just rolled my eyes about was when I read of a K1600GT owner who dropped his bike on a local ride at the national rally two years ago. He had added engine protection, but in the course of the bike falling and sliding some, his engine case was scratched. Yup, scratched.

And that totals the engine. For a scratch.

Chris

Bike
CTX1300
STOC #
You may take a look at the 2014 Honda CTX1300, a one year model and a merchandising failure. I have 71,000 miles on mine in less than 4 years. Not a single problem. The engine and drivetrain have bee proven for reliabity in the ST1100/St1300 for sure. Outside of a overly stiff suspension, front and rear, this bike is a nice package. Easilly fixed. Tours very well even when loaded with camping gear, 800 mile days are no problem. Younger guys can easily run more than that. Still some new leftovers around at less than $9000 ABS/TC,audio. Thats almost 1/2 original msrp.

If you're not scared of older bikes, look at the ST1100 ABSII. I got way over 300,000+ miles on the three of mine and they are very 'mileage' capable -

www.unclephil.us
My st 1300 was stolen last year and I remembered your talking about the 1100 at my first STOC in western nc. I could not wait to slide into my new 1100 last year!!! I have found nothing better for mile munching . Now if I can just find out where that low rpm noise is coming from

Top Bottom