Anybody Here Ever Replaced A ST1100 Engine?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've got the service manuals and have reviewed them but I would be interested in advice from someone that has actually done an engine swap.
My experience tells me there are things encountered that are not in the 'book'.
For instance in the 'Engine removal' section I don't find any mention of dealing with the drive shaft.

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I've got the service manuals and have reviewed them but I would be interested in advice from someone that has actually done an engine swap.
My experience tells me there are things encountered that are not in the 'book'.
For instance in the 'Engine removal' section I don't find any mention of dealing with the drive shaft.
Hi UP,

I think dealing with the drive shaft would be one of the easier parts. Rear wheel off, shock off, pumpkin off, driveshaft housing/swing arm unbolted and the internals come off with it.

Hope I didn't miss anything.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Looks pretty cut and dry, but there's always some little "bit of joy" hidden in there! Carbs and drive shaft likely the most fun. Can probably leave the fuel tank in.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I always pull the fuel tank when I pull the carbs - gives you a lot more working room.
It's those 'bits of joy' that I am hoping I can avoid by 'prior' knowledge of someone.
Mr. Catt has done/helped on 4 so maybe he will come 'strolling' along sooner or later ... :biggrin:
From what research I've found, it is not necessary to pull the swingarm out, just make sure the dust boot is 'loose'.
And it seems if you remove the right timing cover it gives you a little more 'wiggle' room getting it out.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
UP,
Given the durability of the V-4 Honda motor, you may become a pioneer in this field!!:)
Ah, the problem is always that the 'pioneers' usually end up with arrows in their back! :biggrin:
And I get to pull ST1100 two engines - one out of the 'donor' bike and then the one out of SweetTreat.

finleysw

R.I.P. - 2024/03/29
Rest In Peace
Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
STOC #
Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
What is the physical part of the job ? Can you lift the weight or is it a chain and pulley job ? I removed a boxer twin engine once just by lifting it out . I might not be so fit now . Is there weight label on those ? The one I saw on ebay was only about £600 .That sounded very reasonable .

Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
One way to get an engine out or in is to lay it on it`s side .The engine rests on a polystyrene block , Then the frame bolts can be taken out . Refitting is the reverse process . It`s the sideways removal that makes the job harder . Or work out a way to slide wooden supports under the engine so it can be slid sideways . The polystyrene way is safer as the weight is always supported . Then it can be rolled upright . Like they did at Stonehenge .One big , mighty lever .

Bike
VStrom 650
UP, good luck fella.
I know you'll work it out, but take your time, be methodical, bags and labels will become your close friends for a while. Also, before you start, soak every nut and stubborn bolt in penetrating fluid. Having a little heat on hand just incase might also be a good idea.
But now for the most important part. Stock the beer fridge up before you touch a single spanner.
Upt'North.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Taking pictures and writing notes,as you go, is a good way to see how things go back together. Especially if the project is spread out over any length of time.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
What is the physical part of the job ? Can you lift the weight or is it a chain and pulley job ? I removed a boxer twin engine once just by lifting it out . I might not be so fit now . Is there weight label on those ? The one I saw on ebay was only about £600 .That sounded very reasonable .
From what I can find, the engine weighs a little north of 300 lbs according to those that have done it.
I've got some time before I can do it so I am researching it ahead of time.
It comes out the left side per the manual so I am figuring a furniture dolly blocked up should work to move it onto.

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have not but have a couple of suggestions based on other experiences with Honda products. First imagine how this thing was assembled on the assembly line at the factory. They put things together as as sub units to minimize the effort. The engine for example probably has exhaust, intake, carbs, airbox and wiring all as one unit. that way they only have to connect a few things when it is joined to the frame. Try to think like that and not do too much disassembly of parts, only remove sub units. Hope I'm not just stating the obvious. Good luck. If I were closer I would pitch in.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
And you're likely missing the whole section in the manual on beverages to drink.... although I think you've got it covered with water and sweet tea :)

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Uh-oh.
For ALL things 1100, I wuz gonna refer you to @Uncle Phil .
Well, there goes that idea.
I being a 1300-type owner, was going to second the concept of lifting the frame off the engine, mostly becuz that's what I've perused in this mystical surgery in the ST1300 Articles.
Didn't know there was an escape path on your left side.
I'll shut up now.
So I can learn.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I assume, Phil, you will write up an article on this whole procedure accompanied by pictures and sketches.

Top Bottom