Cutting out again

It's out.. Easy taking it out. I will also change the hose between the upper and lower tank. Honda filters new gasket will be here today, pump tomorrow... right sequence for tightening. I calibrated my torque wrench. Surprisingly the lower tank looks new inside. I was expecting residue at the bottom and floaters on top... I'm going to do an independent study on the new hose from All Balls, submerge their hose in a glass jar full of gasoline to see if it breaks down over the winter. Picture is of the old assembly... $1000 cdn... I'm in the wrong business

Attachments

• 20221018_114103.jpg
    20221018_114103.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 20221018_114526.jpg
    20221018_114526.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 81
Good luck :)
Thanks. Small drive today 12c. Tomorrow is going to be 15c. I have a pressure guage so I'm go to jerry-rig it to see what the pressure is. Off the top of my head 50psi is the correct pressure (could be wrong). I'll verify the service manual. The bike starts better, no more rolling 7 to 9 times to start. It now rolls 3 times. More power, even idles better

Last edited:
Sounds normal now. How many kms on the bike?
134700km. Bought it new with 0km May 07. I put every km on it. This past September was the only time someone drove it. Had Ol Silver to the Stealer for a safety inspection and they had to drive her inside. Like 30 feet.. legal reasons. I have a 36 yr old son that has a 80 cb650... He flies F18 for Canada.. he never drove it...

134700km. Bought it new with 0km May 07. I put every km on it. This past September was the only time someone drove it. Had Ol Silver to the Stealer for a safety inspection and they had to drive her inside. Like 30 feet.. legal reasons. I have a 36 yr old son that has a 80 cb650... He flies F18 for Canada.. he never drove it...

Nice! Just wondering what mileage your pump started to fail.

Nice! Just wondering what mileage your pump started to fail.
This spring was the 1st time it act liked up cutting out skipping. I thought it was winter gas so I done nothing except for seafoam, gas line antifreeze. It worked great for months. The 2nd time was in the summer. At that time I bought plugs, cleaned 5T, syn throttle body.
Worked ok til recently.. more research asking lead me to the pump. It was a long time now that I look back.. like a light bulb getting dimmer over time

Last edited:
@60psi. I'm still happy I changed it. 8c this morning and rolled twice and fired up. 250km on my new pump and all is well so far. Winter is coming and not many riding days left in 2022

Attachments

• 20221022_112054.jpg
    20221022_112054.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20221022_112046.jpg
    20221022_112046.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 30
Cutting out again video

Well after almost 1500km of driving a perfect ST it happened again. It happened about 1 hr into my trip. Weather was great 19c. This time I stopped and took a video. I stopped and flicked the throttle with no problem but if I held it constantly it would cut in and out. It's like hitting a Rev limiter bounching off the red line. No back fire, just hit the wall.

If it backfired I'm pretty sure it would be spark cutting in and out and fuel still being pumped into the cyl.

If fuel was the problem it would just shut off and on like it's doing.

While it was acting up the bike would not Reovpast 4k at 60 mph

Last edited:
I have heartburn and have broken out in hives reading through this thread. Man, I can’t imagine what this PITA problem is doing to you @Tdinova. :box1:
Thanks, if it would only happen all the time, then I could narrow it down. Just glad Honda had the complete $1000 fuel pump assembly on back order.. I'll recheck the gas tank vent(s) and the evap canister tomorrow. I have the OEM service manual to help... i even checked the ohm resistance of the spark plug caps to narrow that out. All were perfect.

Long morning.
Took the bottom right guard off to access the canister. Took both bottom lines off and blew air through no problem

Rechecked the 2 drains at the bottom of the bike near the oil filter, the small one had a small restriction but that hose drains the overflow by the gas cover.

Raised the gas tank to check for kinked lines. All good. I even took off the middle hose (arrow pointed to it .. see picture) and blew into it with no problem. I even connected a spare hose to it and blew into the tank, all clear.

Took the fuse box out not apart and checked for corrosion or loose wires.... all good

I put it back together and drove 60km and never hesitated. I had my spare key in the gas cap waiting for the problem to happen, stop let idle and release the cap to see if it self-fix itself

I have a stupid question ... could the ECM be bad.. could Mother Honda check it?

Attachments

• 20221031_114900.jpg
    20221031_114900.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20221031_121326.jpg
    20221031_121326.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 20221031_124636.jpg
    20221031_124636.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 32
You still dont have any codes stored?
Did you have the same problem before and after you changed the spark plugs? I would have recommended buying OEM plugs from reputable supplier. Counterfeit plugs are a possibility.
Does it only do that when the engine is hot? If so, electrical components act funny when hot. Ever consider checking/replacing your coils?
Good luck from NB

You still dont have any codes stored?
Did you have the same problem before and after you changed the spark plugs? I would have recommended buying OEM plugs from reputable supplier. Counterfeit plugs are a possibility.
Does it only do that when the engine is hot? If so, electrical components act funny when hot. Ever consider checking/replacing your coils?
Good luck from NB
Yes new OEM PLUGS the 2nd time it happened this year
Yesterday was 19c not hot
When I was waiting for my fuel pump I checked the resistance of each plug cap with the wire attached. All were just over 5k ohms.
I never checked the 1st and 2nd windings of the coil

135712km today. Just got home again from 40km run.. works perfect

Thanks for all your suggestions

I wonder if there is a way that I can check the ECM.

Never had a FI code..

I sleep well at night. It's when I wake up .....

Attachments

• 20221031_162201.jpg
    20221031_162201.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom