Cutting out again

Another great ride today. Yesterday was 75km, today 100km... still waiting for 2 more plug caps... so far 250km with no....... can't say it... fingers crossed. But I will install the remaining caps when they arrive

You're spending a lot of time wrenching, hopefully those days are over for many many miles ahead now!

Video 1 After 150km drive
Yesterday I went for my 1st long drive after all sparkplug caps replaced. 150km no problem until 1km from home. Landed home and removed the right side cover and measured the voltage at 5k.
Took the battery to Canadian Tire and it passed load test.

Video 2 Next Morning
This morning I started my bike, and Volts was over 14v. After 10mins of test of idle and 5k I think I still have the problem..

Last edited:
If they aren't following the thread and saw it, I'd guess they'd say WTFarkle!? :rofl1:

Miserable weather in Nova Scotia right now. Only a 10km drive with my aftermarket taped on voltmeter. The end will be soon .. I hope. 4 new caps sounds promising

Video 1 After 150km drive
Yesterday I went for my 1st long drive after all sparkplug caps replaced. 150km no problem until 1km from home. Landed home and removed the right side cover and measured the voltage at 5k.
Took the battery to Canadian Tire and it passed load test.

Video 2 Next Morning
This morning I started my bike, and Volts was over 14v. After 10mins of test of idle and 5k I think I still have the problem..
Have you checked the right handlebar kill switch? The contacts in these switches are prone to getting dirty. Had an issue with my 05 after sitting idle for the winter and traced it to that switch. Took it apart and cleaned the contacts and all was fine.

Have you checked the right handlebar kill switch? The contacts in these switches are prone to getting dirty. Had an issue with my 05 after sitting idle for the winter and traced it to that switch. Took it apart and cleaned the contacts and all was fine.
Yes. I had it apart and sprayed electrical cleaner inside while rocking switch off and on

Well I soon gonna give up.. 380 km 19c temp on my new sparkplug caps and new battery... I kept my MacGyver volt meter connect and able to verify the voltage while riding. The volts was steady at 14.0v. At the 1st sign of trouble I glanced down at it was steady at 14.0v. I opened the throttle and it really jerked back and forth and the volts stayed at 14.0v... the only thing I didn't check was the throttle position sensor. Would that do it? I may have to take it to MA Honda

Here’s a question, does Honda have a scanner or a scope for this bike.
I don't know. Last year I called my local dealer and asked and at that time they said they would trouble shoot the problem... only thing is that it does act up all the time. So..... tomorrow I will remove the tank, plastic, air breather and check the throttle position sensor....

Perhaps Temporarily hard wire past the kick stand switch and inspect its connected wiring for breaks on insulation? also hard wire past tip over bank angle switch for the same? once worked on a refrigerated trailer that would run perfectly fine at the shop. but would cut out frequently on the road especially in the city. found it to be a short in wire behind bulkhead in trailer caused by wire not secured and rubbed through insulation.
Ps: +1 on MacGyver volt meter :thumb:

Last edited:
also connect volt meter to 12 volt positive side of ignition coil. i believe it should receive continuous power.

Perhaps Temporarily hard wire past the kick stand switch and inspect its connected wiring for breaks on insulation? also hard wire past tip over bank angle switch for the same? once worked on a refrigerated trailer that would run perfectly fine at the shop. but would cut out frequently on the road especially in the city. found it to be a short in wire behind bulkhead in trailer caused by wire not secured and rubbed through insulation.
Ps: +1 on MacGyver volt meter :thumb:
I could look and see for myself, but if I disconnected the side stand switch will the bike keep running? Tomorrow I'm doing throttle position sensor maybe even remove the gas line from lower tank to upper tank and check for collapse. If all looks great Ma Honda is gonna see me. I'll make an itemized list and all readings that I have gathered. Retirement life is good but........

Back
Top Bottom