End Of An Era

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
My father passed away last Sat. night in Nevada City, California. He was 81. He had brain cancer and I was told he went peacefully without pain. I am named after him; Frederick Charles Adams III.

My father was a very interesting man. He is semi-famous for being the founder of the first Neo-Pagan religion in the United States called Feraferia. He was a artist also and had sold his artwork to Hollywood types, and publications. He was one of the shakers in the Southern California early hippy movement and knew folks like Alan Watts, Alan Ginsberg, Tim Leary to name a few. He was one of the first to present Ecology as a viable movement and understanding of the world as a natural living entity that needed deep protections from destructive exploitations. He was a graduate of the USC film school. He is listed in the Encyclopedia Britannica, and is mentioned in several books related to his interests such as Drawing Down The Moon where a extensive chapter is devoted to him.

The legacy he has left me is my deep love of nature and harmony of Earth and Spirit which I try to display in my own art work such as my photography, paintings, and drawings. I owe that to him; the best part of me.

He and my mother divorced when I was very young, but they remain friends and he was always around for me. I am his only son. He grew up in the Altadena/Pasadena area, and as a family we lived for a long time in the mountainous area of Sierra Madre, in a place called The Canyon. A haven of early 1960's art types like artists, poets and writers, etc.; in cozy cheap cabins hugging fog covered mountain sides with a singing stream through it all. My childhood was woodsy idyllic.

I will miss him immensely and hold a love for him in a special place in my heart every time I see a leaf, tree and sky.

Here is his Feraferia website and other links if you are interested in understanding him more...

FERAFERIA HOME PAGE

WIKIPEDIA ENTRY

ENCYCLOPEDIA BRITANNICA ENTRY

"Chloe (Foliage)"

Last edited:
STOC #
Fred: sorry for your loss. My dad is still around. I see him at least twice a week for dinner and such.
I am glad he has such a full life and had many friends.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Very sorry Fred. You and your family are in our prayers.

Muchmore

Train killer
Bike
13 BMW K1600GTL
Man I am sorry as well, I just went to visit my mom yesterday who is battling cancer as well. It's tough to watch and tougher to let go.

OP
OP
Finewest

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
Thank you guys!

I have taken three bereavement days off from work, and today I am going up to Pasadena to spend some time with my Mother. I am also going to do a ride on the Angeles Crest Highway through the San Gabriel Mountains; a place he loved and I also. I am going to do a ride video also and will post it later after editing. I will dedicate it to him.

He was not a motorcycle rider, but understood my love for them. I know you guys would of liked him as he was a very charming guy and had many many friends who will miss him.

Last edited:

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Sorry for your loss, Fred. :-( My Dad is also gone; I miss him every day.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sorry for your loss Fred!

I know how hard it can be since I lost my father 16 years ago at the early age of 62. Also, we just lost my Mother-in-law and my dear wife is having to deal with her loss.

OP
OP
Finewest

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
Losing a parent is only second to losing a child, or a spouse. It hits home like nothing else. You remember this person from the earliest moments of your memory. And to lose one that had such a profound influence on how you think and feel is beyond tragic.

Thank you guys!

Bike
2006 ST 1300
STOC #
From what you tell us of your dad, the world has lost another of its most interesting people. Along with all the others, I offer you my condolences. I am certain that you will be taking a journey in your grief that we who have lost a parent all take. It is a bittersweet mix of sorrow and joy as you recount your life with your dad and all that you are because of him. As you are his legacy as well as his namesake, he lives on through you, Fred.

Mike

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Fred,

My condolences as well. Sounds like you and your dad had a terrific relationship, one I'm sure he appreciated.

John

STOC #
Your father sounds like an interesting man. Bet there was never a dull moment when he was around! I'm glad he lived a full life and went painlessly. Wherever he is at now, it's no doubt a better place.

Top Bottom