Illinois Motorcycle Owners Beware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bike
04 ST1300
So, you're saying that Illinois politicians are corrupt and crooks in general. I'm absolutely shocked to hear this. I thought all politicians were motivated to selflessly serve their constituents for the common good, really. :)
Ryan in Jail, Blago in jail. The word "politician" in itself says it all. The state of IL is run by the mafia (organized crime). Most of these so called elected officials take their orders from there. corrupt to the core.

Bike
ST1300
AND we cant vote them out. Pretty sure this is all to generate more income tax revenue for the state but who is gunna end up paying in the long run for these extra employees? a lot of gas stations are open super late or all night long. Are there going to be employees standing at the ready to run out at 3am to fill my car?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Reasonable & sensible legislation, I think.
I don't.
I understand the rationale with fuel purchases because they are so different than most other purchases however, that is a slippery slope precedent.
My problem with this type of legislation, in reaction to any problem or issue, is that it presumes and pronounces everyone guilty before they have committed any crime.
I am not a fan of any legislation that presumes me or anyone else is guilty before a crime has been committed.

Fuel purchases are somewhat different than most purchases in that you already have the product in your possession (your fuel tank) before you pay for it. Most items you may have in your hands but they are not your possessions until you have paid for them. You also are not presumed to be stealing them until you have paid for them either. For discussion purposes if we use fuel as the example, the general principle being that if a person has not stolen any fuel and has not shown any intention of stealing fuel why then does the law treat that person not only as someone who might steal fuel but worse, as a criminal who will steal fuel?

If society shifts to a paradigm where it is acceptable to presume that everyone is a thief before they have stolen anything then the logical conclusion to this would eventually be that every single item or service that you will ever intend to purchase will have to be paid for in advance of you being able to lay your hands on it or see the results of the workmanship.

We are already quite far down that road already as a result of on-line shopping but that is by choice and is a far cry from your government legislating that you are a thief, and therefore must pay in advance, before you have stolen anything.

OP
OP
Bike
2000 ST1100
Be happy that you're not in Chicago. I play an extra $200 per car and $45 for my motorcycle!
Wonder how come yours is 45 when mine is $48.00. I though all of Illinois paid the same for plates/stickers?

OP
OP
Bike
2000 ST1100
I live in NJ and bikers pump on their own. Normally when attendants see a bike, they don't bother to come over. Some may ask if you need help or such.
As for cars, it's good not to get out of the car in a cold weather. But I'd rather pump myself for not waiting for the guy servicing others.
My biggest huff about all of this is damage to my car and motorcycle. Gasoline contains alcohol with is very detrimental to the paint work of your vehicle. And believe me the gas attendant isn't going to care.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
There's a nice C-Store just west of the Missouri/Illinois. I always stop to top off the tank, separate my concealed carry weapon from the ammo (storing each separately) and proceed on to Indiana. There seems to be a vast disconnect between Chicago and much of the rest of Illinois, sort of like the NYC/New York state situation (and others.)

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I don't.
I understand the rationale with fuel purchases because they are so different than most other purchases however, that is a slippery slope precedent.
My problem with this type of legislation, in reaction to any problem or issue, is that it presumes and pronounces everyone guilty before they have committed any crime.
I am not a fan of any legislation that presumes me or anyone else is guilty before a crime has been committed.

Fuel purchases are somewhat different than most purchases in that you already have the product in your possession (your fuel tank) before you pay for it. Most items you may have in your hands but they are not your possessions until you have paid for them. You also are not presumed to be stealing them until you have paid for them either. For discussion purposes if we use fuel as the example, the general principle being that if a person has not stolen any fuel and has not shown any intention of stealing fuel why then does the law treat that person not only as someone who might steal fuel but worse, as a criminal who will steal fuel?

If society shifts to a paradigm where it is acceptable to presume that everyone is a thief before they have stolen anything then the logical conclusion to this would eventually be that every single item or service that you will ever intend to purchase will have to be paid for in advance of you being able to lay your hands on it or see the results of the workmanship.

We are already quite far down that road already as a result of on-line shopping but that is by choice and is a far cry from your government legislating that you are a thief, and therefore must pay in advance, before you have stolen anything.
Methinks you miss the salient point to this legislation. Walking out of a store with a stolen item is not very likely to end in the death of someone who may try to stop them, at least not in Canada, but the gas thief has a 3,000 pound weapon to deter anyone from stopping him, or her. The law isn't treating anyone as a criminal, but it will prevent the criminally minded from injuring, maiming, or killing anyone in their attempt to flee the scene.

Put yourself in the station attendant's shoes and consider this. Companies owning the stations have, in the past, held attendants responsible for losses from gas and go thefts. This may have been addressed in the legislation as well, I'm not sure about that, but, if you were the attendant on shift at 1:00 am, all alone, how would you want to react when you saw a vehicle pull away after stealing $100.00 worth of fuel, when you might make that, or less, on your shift?

Here in BC, one poor guy was doing just that, trying to stop a car that left without paying. He was knocked down by the car, fell underneath and was dragged for several hundred feet to a horrifying death. There were other incidents like this also where injuries occurred, but no deaths. In BC, particularly in the Lower Mainland around Vancouver, we have the highest fuel prices in North America! Thieves are drilling holes in the bottom of truck fuel tanks to steal gas!

If people have sympathy for the sometimes dangerous working conditions of others, then they should not feel this law is an attack on them, but is instead, a good step to protect life and limb of those who do those jobs.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
My biggest huff about all of this is damage to my car and motorcycle. Gasoline contains alcohol with is very detrimental to the paint work of your vehicle. And believe me the gas attendant isn't going to care.
I think you can hold a bit of your huffing on that, as gasoline WILL strip the wax off your paint, but it isn't going to damage your paint. Car makers would be in big trouble if every paint job was easily damaged by spilling some fuel. And BTW, it is ethanol, not pure alcohol.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
.................... Companies owning the stations have, in the past, held attendants responsible for losses from gas and go thefts....................
I worked part time during school and summers at 3 different gas stations from ages 16 - 19 and at the start of every shift there was an inventory of cans of oil, etc for sale + a reconciliation of the pump meters and the cash register sales totals. We lowly gas pump and oil change jockeys were 100% responsible for any shortages, but I must say that in 3 years I never had an incident of someone taking off before paying.

OP
OP
Bike
2000 ST1100
I think you can hold a bit of your huffing on that, as gasoline WILL strip the wax off your paint, but it isn't going to damage your paint. Car makers would be in big trouble if every paint job was easily damaged by spilling some fuel. And BTW, it is ethanol, not pure alcohol.
I would beg to differ with you my good buddy Bush. For one thing i have the evidence on my car filler door on the bottom of the lid. Paint is marked and hazy due to the gasoline spill/fumes. Also the manufacturers due caution you about the danger of ethanol with is an oxygenated fuel. Page 178 of your Honda ST1100 manual states "Oxgenated fuels can damage paint and plastics. Be careful not to spill fuel when filling the tank. Wipe up any spills immediately. Also on that same page states Oxgenated fuels can damage paint and plastics which is NOT covered under warranty.

OP
OP
Bike
2000 ST1100
I worked part time during school and summers at 3 different gas stations from ages 16 - 19 and at the start of every shift there was an inventory of cans of oil, etc for sale + a reconciliation of the pump meters and the cash register sales totals. We lowly gas pump and oil change jockeys were 100% responsible for any shortages, but I must say that in 3 years I never had an incident of someone taking off before paying.
Its not like that anymore as you have to prepay before you get gas. If the new law passes who knows?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Oregon still has attendants who pump your gas and run your card or take the cash. But, in probably 20 or more fill ups on my bikes, they have always let me pump my own to avoid those issues.
This is been my experience in OR as well. The attendants all assume I was going to pump my own gas. They made a point of showing up before and after so that to some extent I was not unattended.

Some laws are wisely conceived and passed to limit behavior likely to occur putting the public at risk. Others are created based on someone's creation of an unlikely worst case scenario presented with plenty of FUD. In their tiny minds they confuse possibility with probability. No doubt such an author begins the process with 'I'd be concerned that...'.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I would beg to differ with you my good buddy Bush. For one thing i have the evidence on my car filler door on the bottom of the lid. Paint is marked and hazy due to the gasoline spill/fumes. Also the manufacturers due caution you about the danger of ethanol with is an oxygenated fuel. Page 178 of your Honda ST1100 manual states "Oxgenated fuels can damage paint and plastics. Be careful not to spill fuel when filling the tank. Wipe up any spills immediately. Also on that same page states Oxgenated fuels can damage paint and plastics which is NOT covered under warranty.

OK Red, I bow to the wisdom contained in the ST manual. However, I've spilled my share of gas before and never found any damage on the paint, but I do usually wash or wipe it off when it happens, but not always.

OP
OP
Bike
2000 ST1100
OK Red, I bow to the wisdom contained in the ST manual. However, I've spilled my share of gas before and never found any damage on the paint, but I do usually wash or wipe it off when it happens, but not always.
Yeah that stuff is corrosive which is why older cars and motorcycles were having big time fuel system problems. Turns out the rubber parts, hoses, and plastics were getting eaten up by the gasohol because the material was not design for it. In this country there is debate about getting rid of 10 percent ethanol and making 15 percent mandatory. Right now that would kill my ST1100, My lawn mower, and my 2005 Corolla as they are not designed for 15 percent ethanol according to their respective owner manuals.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I think I remember reading somewhere that these laws come about because of self serve customers being more likely to fill up their vehicles and then drive away with paying. Attendants. who were held responsible for all gas pumped cash shortages, chased the vehicle (??) and ended up getting run over trying to stop a thief. So some dim witted politician (aren't all politicians dim witted???) came up with this law to presumably solve this problem .
That's easily fixed by making people pay before they pump. Not being able to pump your own gas is just stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom