Illinois Motorcycle Owners Beware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Nothing to do with the price of tea in China. But here in Illinois when the low wage for gas station workers go from $8.50 to $15.00 per hour to pump your gas....well any rational person can see this is bad for the station owners and the consumers wallets.
It's called the redistribution of wealth, something sorely lacking in places that allow a minimum wage of $8.50 per hour. Could you have the lifestyle you do if you were making that? Would you own a motorcycle and enjoy trips on it? Something is not right when some people have to choose between buying their diabetes medications or food for their kids.

The economic model of giving the wealthy and corporations tax cuts, in the thought they would spread their wealth to grow more jobs, has not proven effective. We see them getting richer, while those at the bottom haven't seen real wage growth for decades.

OP
OP
Bike
2000 ST1100
It's called the redistribution of wealth, something sorely lacking in places that allow a minimum wage of $8.50 per hour. Could you have the lifestyle you do if you were making that? Would you own a motorcycle and enjoy trips on it? Something is not right when some people have to choose between buying their diabetes medications or food for their kids.

The economic model of giving the wealthy and corporations tax cuts, in the thought they would spread their wealth to grow more jobs, has not proven effective. We see them getting richer, while those at the bottom haven't seen real wage growth for decades.
When I was 15 I first got a job at a service station making 1.35 per hour. Worked there for 3 years then got a job at a business machine supply place. I jumped up to $1.65 per hour as a delivery person/ janitor. Then I got married and had kids so that 1.65 wasn't going to cut it. So i asked told my boss that I wanted to be a technican as they were making $6.50 back then. So I went to training schools and later had to go to electronics school when all the equiment changed over to digital. Through out my 45 year career i upgraded my traning so I became the manager of the company so i was making big bucks. So what i am trying to say is since we live in a capital society people can progress without the government totally controlling peoples outcomes. I decided that low wage stuff wasn't for me and got off my butt and did something about it. It never crossed my mind to demand the goverment pass laws to pay me more.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
I would love to move out if ILL but my job keeps me here...bastards priced me right out of the market...
#1 First time I can recall anybody saying they make too much money ;)

#2 Your lifestyle/consumables have increased proportionately with your salary.

While it's all well and good to improve your quality of life, one can't complain when they live on the edge of living within their means. No offense intended.

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
Nothing to do with the price of tea in China. But here in Illinois when the low wage for gas station workers go from $8.50 to $15.00 per hour to pump your gas....well any rational person can see this is bad for the station owners and the consumers wallets.
I agree. That is why self-service is not a problem for station owners. It's desired.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
why is it a problem to put a card in, and pump the gas?
We do this all the time in CAlifornia. We just don't have any legislation compelling us to do so. I think it's been adopted not to prevent gas theft specifically but for the convenience of the vendor first and foremost on a number of levels and maybe possibly for the customer too. That's just my supposition/speculation.

My question is still: why is/was a law enacted to prohibit customers from pumping their own gas? All I've seen here is supposition/speculation with no supporting facts. Obviously anybody on the floor during the legislative process would know the offered explanations of why it's necessary. There may be hidden agenda (always ripe for supposition/speculation) but at least there'd be some factual information. Anybody got any links? Or did I miss them amongst the brouhaha?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom