Illinois Motorcycle Owners Beware

Status
Not open for further replies.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
There's an easy way to fix that, and that is to legislate a requirement to prepay or pre-authorize a fuel purchase before the self-serve pump will operate.

In British Columbia, Canada, the government did just that - although limited to night-time hours - after a self-serve attendant was injured in an altercation with a customer who would not pay. The end result of the law was that at night, you had to stuff your credit card in the pump and get it authorized before the pump would work, or, you had to go and pre-pay in cash what you wanted to pump.

Reasonable & sensible legislation, I think.

Michael
Why do you need legislation for that? Each store should be able to decide on their own whether or not they require pre pay or pay at the pump.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Turns out the rubber parts, hoses, and plastics were getting eaten up by the gasohol because the material was not design for it.
Precisely why I run the tank down and fill up with premium ethanol free before parking it for the winter.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
When my wife retires this fall that is a very strong possibility. Taxes on a 230,000 house in Illinois 5K. In Missouri 2.4K dollars. License plate for cars depends on taxable horsepower formula but I would pay around 30.00 dollars in Missouri. I now pay $151.00 in Illinois.
Research MO personal property tax on said car, motorcycle, etc. You will be paying for the privilege of owning nice vehicles.

OP
OP
Bike
2000 ST1100
Research MO personal property tax on said car, motorcycle, etc. You will be paying for the privilege of owning nice vehicles.
I have done some. But I figure my car is 15 years old. My motorcycle is 20 years old and my wifes car is over 5 so I should not get hurt too bad. Besides what I pay in property tax on my houses if I buy in Missouri i would still be way ahead.

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
Only one other state (New Jersey) doesn't have self-service gas stations. If self-service was really a problem, don't you think gas station owners would have already been lobbying state legislators to have the law changed?

OP
OP
Bike
2000 ST1100
Only one other state (New Jersey) doesn't have self-service gas stations. If self-service was really a problem, don't you think gas station owners would have already been lobbying state legislators to have the law changed?
No gas station owners will be fighting this bill with all they have. We have a progressive minimun wage that will be 15 dollars a hour in 3 years. Cost will be passed onto consumers.

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
I think I remember reading somewhere that these laws come about because of self serve customers being more likely to fill up their vehicles and then drive away with paying. Attendants. who were held responsible for all gas pumped cash shortages, chased the vehicle (??) and ended up getting run over trying to stop a thief. So some dim witted politician (aren't all politicians dim witted???) came up with this law to presumably solve this problem .
"These laws"? There is only one state that forbids self-service and that is New Jersey. Take it from someone that was born and raised in New Jersey: It is more corrupt than Illinois and that is saying something.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Methinks you miss the salient point to this legislation.
Methinks it is you who have completely missed my point.
I was expressing my dislike of the premise of any law passed by a government who has assumed that its citizens will commit a crime and therefore must legislate to prevent them from being able to take any action that can possibly lead to the commission of that crime regardless of whether or not they do so. Not just this law but any such law. Should there not be evidence of a crime first or is treating everyone as though they will commit a crime good enough to justify curtailing your activities? Is there no longer a presumption of innocence until proven guilty or have we abandoned that as well?
Put yourself in the station attendant's shoes and consider this.
That is an emotional response which is not neccessarily indicative of a reasoned impartial examination of the facts. Exactly why laws are not passed solely by those who have direct and personal emotional investment in their outcome and thankfully so for the sake of all of us.
The law isn't treating anyone as a criminal, ......
It most certainly is.
The law is not written to punish those who break the law after they have done so. It is written to curtail the activities of all citizens before a crime has been committed and regardless of whether they have even broken the law or not. This law, by virtue of its blanket application, assumes that all consumers, not just some, cannot be trusted to pay for their purchase and therefore all consumers must be compelled by force of law to pay in advance to avoid the crime of theft that has not taken place yet.

I think we can agree that one such incident is to many. The reality is that literally millions of gas purchases were being executed lawfully every week without consequence before the adoption of this law. As terrible as that incident was there are hundreds of thousands more people killed specifically due to speeding every year- a slaughter of humanity by comparison. Not every driver can be trusted not to speed. As a means to curtail that deviant behavior and as a corrective measure the government should send all drivers speeding tickets in the mail? Consider them guilty before they have actually committed the crime of speeding because they might do so? Extreme example I know but to make the point that even though the circumstances are different the premise is the same. The law is supposed to exact punishment after a crime has been committed, not strike preemptively against those who have comitted no crime. In fact the consequences, carnage and death toll due to speeding are far greater. More importantly the opportunity for people to speed on a regular basis is infinately greater than the opportunity to steal gas is. As such, this law to deal with speeding is even more justified than paying before you pump. I doubt that you would support such a law deeming you guilty of speeding without evidence of having done so. Where does it stop?

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
No gas station owners will be fighting this bill with all they have. We have a progressive minimun wage that will be 15 dollars a hour in 3 years. Cost will be passed onto consumers.
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
Wonder how come yours is 45 when mine is $48.00. I though all of Illinois paid the same for plates/stickers?
It was actually $46.49. I was just going from memory. I purchased it through EZ Buy. Maybe that accounts for the difference?

Keep in mind that this is a City of Chicago vehicle sticker and not the state tag/registration fee which was $42, and paid online as well.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Fuel purchases are somewhat different than most purchases in that you already have the product in your possession (your fuel tank) before you pay for it. that is by choice and is a far cry from your government legislating that you are a thief, and therefore must pay in advance, before you have stolen anything.
I don't know what its like in Montreal, and I've not traveled much in Canada recently, but nearly every gas station I've seen in the US in the last 20 years has been pay first (or give them the credit card before pumping), pump later. Seems to me it was much the same in Canada in my last few forays north of the border (but I could be mistaken). Most pumps in the northeastern states have posted on the pump that it is a crime to steal gas and some say you can lose your license if you pump and flee.

Bike
ST1300
I really don't think all this is a theft deterrent. More so of a money grab to try and bring in more tax revenue. Pretty sure the next ballot will have a new tax on nookie.

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
When my wife retires this fall that is a very strong possibility. Taxes on a 230,000 house in Illinois 5K. In Missouri 2.4K dollars. License plate for cars depends on taxable horsepower formula but I would pay around 30.00 dollars in Missouri. I now pay $151.00 in Illinois.
May I introduce you to New Mexico?

OP
OP
Bike
2000 ST1100
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
Nothing to do with the price of tea in China. But here in Illinois when the low wage for gas station workers go from $8.50 to $15.00 per hour to pump your gas....well any rational person can see this is bad for the station owners and the consumers wallets.

Bike
ST1300
I would love to move out if ILL but my job keeps me here...bastards priced me right out of the market...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom