New Garmin Zumo XT

I believe it comes with the Ram type mount with the u-bolt clamp etc. In the installation guide in the manual it shows this mount without any notes indicating it is optional. On the page that shows the Automotive mount there is a highlighted note that says the automobile mount is an option that can be purchased.

I just talked to someone on the Africa Twin forum that already received his new Zumo XT. It does come complete with the Ram mount and base.

I'd like to see the source you cite. I'm on the edge of believing you. I interpreted Garmin's website differently. That the handlebar mount was not included because it is not listed under whats in the box. The fact that it lists a handlebar mount under accessories seems to reinforce that. However the manual does say it includes parts for two installations solutions. Seems to be purposely vague and contradictory.

It seems to continue that theme to music. It does not list a MP3 player specifically. One place it says it can control a MP3 player or a smartphone's media. Another place it says it will play MP3s stored on the navigator.

I'd like to see the source you cite. I'm on the edge of believing you. I interpreted Garmin's website differently. That the handlebar mount was not included because it is not listed under whats in the box. The fact that it lists a handlebar mount under accessories seems to reinforce that. However the manual does say it includes parts for two installations solutions. Seems to be purposely vague and contradictory.

Look here: https://africatwin.org/forum/threads/gps.1607/page-4

It seems to continue that theme to music. It does not list a MP3 player specifically. One place it says it can control a MP3 player or a smartphone's media. Another place it says it will play MP3s stored on the navigator.
From the Garmin website:
MUSIC
Stream music from your smartphone through the zūmo XT navigator, or play MP3 files stored on the navigator — all to your connected helmet or headset.

From the Garmin website:
MUSIC
Stream music from your smartphone through the zūmo XT navigator, or play MP3 files stored on the navigator — all to your connected helmet or headset.

It seems you quoted me agreeing with you about the music player and just restated the same thing as I did? Not sure why.

I did see the link and the African Twin guy just said Ram mount included. Not that the "Handlebar Mount Kit" was. I'm still thinking that all that is included is the more basic "motorcycle mount". Meaning exactly like the one below.

1583514041555.png

It seems you quoted me agreeing with you about the music player and just restated the same thing as I did? Not sure why.

I did see the link and the African Twin guy just said Ram mount included. Not that the "Handlebar Mount Kit" was. I'm still thinking that all that is included is the more basic "motorcycle mount". Meaning exactly like the one below.

1583514041555.png

I'm assuming (we know where that gets us) that the mp3 player is built into the unit as it was for the 660s and 595s. :think1:

I look at this "new" GPS as Garmin's way of trying to draw attention back to its products and revive sales.

You can load topo maps on a 39X/59X already. So "off-road" isn't anything new. And like SMSW, I'm skeptical that the screen is really that much brighter. Even if it is...is that alone worth $500 when my 59X has taken me across over half of the USA and parts of Canada just fine?

Garmin has a lot of competition across their entire product line. TomTom makes a great GPS and it is far more efficient in the way it utilizes it's screen real estate to display information. If I was to buy a new hardware based motorcycle GPS, I'd think seriously about it. At $251, it is hard to beat. Smartphones can be used as a GPS also, and if you

Using a smartphone like the Kyocera model or the Samsung Galaxy S7 ACTIVE, and the TomTom software is another valid option that would make me think more than twice about buying a dedicated motorcycle GPS.

So just because Garmin comes out with a new model...doesn't mean I have to buy it. ;)

Chris

I look at this "new" GPS as Garmin's way of trying to draw attention back to its products and revive sales.

You can load topo maps on a 39X/59X already. So "off-road" isn't anything new. And like SMSW, I'm skeptical that the screen is really that much brighter. Even if it is...is that alone worth $500 when my 59X has taken me across over half of the USA and parts of Canada just fine?

Garmin has a lot of competition across their entire product line. TomTom makes a great GPS and it is far more efficient in the way it utilizes it's screen real estate to display information. If I was to buy a new hardware based motorcycle GPS, I'd think seriously about it. At $251, it is hard to beat. Smartphones can be used as a GPS also, and if you

Using a smartphone like the Kyocera model or the Samsung Galaxy S7 ACTIVE, and the TomTom software is another valid option that would make me think more than twice about buying a dedicated motorcycle GPS.

So just because Garmin comes out with a new model...doesn't mean I have to buy it. ;)

Chris
Yes - I have a TomTom Rider 550 and I am happy with it for on-road riding - nice quality unit, though small, has a decent screen and the app etc. works great. The price for the TomTom is really good as well and there are some great deals out there if you look for them.

I am curious..... Has anyone mounted speakers on their ST? I can see what looks like a space for them
paulcb said:
Very few. The vast majority mount a comm system on their helmet... Sena, Cardo, or one of the cheap Chinese versions on Amazon.
+1 Fidelity goes out the window (if we had one) at speed. And cranking up the volume to overcome wind noise makes for an unpleasant situation for those around you when you slow down.

When you head out on the highway lookin' for adventure blasting some road tunes out of your speakers seems like a great idea until about 60mph+ (more or less depending on your helmet and windscreen maybe). Many times I've heard a bike's 'music' in the distance before I heard the bike. Some riders think it cool to inflict their tastes and volume on others and some just forget.

Not that many people care but many states' vehicle codes have laws about loud music and at least CA has no exemption for motorcycles. So literally it may be a case of you play you pay. So there's that.

Practically speaking you should get the speaker boxes that go behind the grilles to protect them and improve the sound. Speakers on a bike aren't intrinsically evil as some would have you believe. But enough people abuse that feature so as to make many wince at the mention.

I think helmet speakers are more practical more useful and are kinder to your neighbors with offering a more enjoyable listen experience. If you want to ride around town blasting Black Oak Arkansas from speakers please stay out of my patch. But if it's Ride of the Valkyries or Scheherazade or even some George Strait we can talk. :D

Here's a short Garmin video showing the XT in action.

It shows there's at least one mode (Birdseye Satellite Imagery) where the terrain map isn't dwarfed by other windows which is the most important feature to me. The screen does some bright but the sun doesn't appear to be beating down. As it's only $499 compared to previous Zumos - does it have lifetime maps or is a subscription required.

Even if Garmin included (or includes) a handlebar mount, would it even fit ST1300s? There's not a lot of room on the 7/8" round portion of the bars.

Here's a short Garmin video showing the XT in action.

It shows there's at least one mode (Birdseye Satellite Imagery) where the terrain map isn't dwarfed by other windows which is the most important feature to me. The screen does some bright but the sun doesn't appear to be beating down. As it's only $499 compared to previous Zumos - does it have lifetime maps or is a subscription required.

Even if Garmin included (or includes) a handlebar mount, would it even fit ST1300s? There's not a lot of room on the 7/8" round portion of the bars.
The handlebar mount besides using the U-bolt can also set on top of the clamp block that holds the clutch master cylinder or brake master cylinder to the handlebars so it does not take up any room on the handlebar.

See manual:

Screenshot_20200306-165523(1).png

Seems to me that it can't "play MP3 files stored on the navigator" unless it has a built-in MP3 player. I'm not sure I understand what the concern is.

Unless you don't have a smartphone, why would you stream music from a GPS instead of your phone? In this day and age, why is this even a feature on a GPS? :confused:

Unless you don't have a smartphone, why would you stream music from a GPS instead of your phone? In this day and age, why is this even a feature on a GPS? :confused:
It is getting to where the question is: "unless you don't have a smartphone, why do you even have a GPS?"

Seems to me you can "stream music from your smartphone through the zūmo XT navigator OR play all the MP3 files stored on the navigator — all to your connected helmet or headset".

zūmo XT said:
Media Player
The media player can play music or audio from these sources.
  • Music files stored on your zūmo device.
  • Bluetooth audio from a paired phone.
paulcb said:
In this day and age, why is this even a feature on a GPS?
Because in this day and age there are still old codgers who don't/won't own a smartphone but want to hear music? I don't see where this is an issue in the slightest.

Last edited:
I ran into a problem playing MP3 files on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 at first. The lag between having the phone play the file, send it to the GPS and the GPS to then send it to the BT headset, ended up with skips in the playback. Once I moved some music files to the GPS, all was well.

One "problem" for using a smartphone instead of a dedicated GPS is people think there won't be any problems. There are several threads where someone had their precious expensive smartphone die because it was on the handlebars. It isn't necessarily the phone portion that dies either. It is the sensitive camera that breaks.

If you're going to use a smartphone as a GPS on the handlebars, you really need a dedicated smartphone for the task like the ones mentioned earlier. And by the time you pay that much money...you could easily just use a new TomTom at $251 and never worry about it.

Chris

the U-bolt can also set on top of the clamp block that holds the clutch master cylinder or brake master cylinder to the handlebars so it does not take up any room on the handlebar.
Got it. That makes sense.

The Cheese said:
I interpreted Garmin's website differently.
Instead of interpreting (often a big mistake) check out the owner's manual. It's all there.

And by the time you pay that much money...you could easily just use a new TomTom at $251 and never worry about it.

I paid $50 for my last Kyocera Verizon Duraforce Pro - used but in excellent shape, and $128 for a new one in the box. Mil-spec, waterproof, hardened for outdoor use, can't scratch the screen with a screwdriver. Only the Verizon model has Sapphire Shield glass and Qi wireless charging. I have one that I use without a SIM running Co-Pilot as a GPS and an identical one with SIM that I use as a Verizon phone. If either one bricks, the SIM goes into the live one.

I bought one. It will be here on Tuesday. We will see how it goes.
Can't wait to see a ride report and PICS! I hope. I really don't need a GPS as my phone and Maps (plus Scenic) are good enough for my modest use. But that bigger screen would be really nice and it's not a bad price.

Last time I looked at a 5+inch Harmon it was in the 700 range. It will be a nice to have and I plan to be able to move it back and forth the F800GS I have been shopping for :) maybe an Africa twin

Back
Top Bottom