Old Enough To Remember?

... true that...

I've walked like an Egyptian..
I moon-walked…
I walked this way…
I walked on the wild side…
I was walking on sunshine…
I walked the line…
and I walked 500 miles…

I've walked a lot…

I'm Gen X... :cool:
And You'll Never Walk Alone. ;)
 
Dang that's funny, only time I have had to figure out the area of a Cone was in Math class.
Yeah... surfaces and volumes of "irregular bodies"... pfffff...

The trade masters course wasn't that much different:
fabricating a part on the lathe
cutting speed and depth are given
so how much are the electricity costs for making like 200 parts...

similar example with a truck mounted concrete pump
varying viscosity and gravel sizes...
like how much time and Diesel required for pumping 26m³ into the 5th floor...

me brain started disengaged when it came to the Prandtl & Nusselt numbers (fluid dynamics, heat transfer, convection, diffusion...)...

Interesting but absolutely mind numbing... 😑
 
Don't forget clutch head screws. You can find them at trailer house repair places.
1770751791094.png
Different socket heads made mostly for trying to find head that retains the screw or bolt on production equipment.
I have run into weird heads because the manufacturer does not want you going into the place that is secured. Caterpilar is good for that- keeps you out of their injection pumps. John Deere is like that too.
 
Yeah... surfaces and volumes of "irregular bodies"... pfffff...

The trade masters course wasn't that much different:
fabricating a part on the lathe
cutting speed and depth are given
so how much are the electricity costs for making like 200 parts...

similar example with a truck mounted concrete pump
varying viscosity and gravel sizes...
like how much time and Diesel required for pumping 26m³ into the 5th floor...

me brain started disengaged when it came to the Prandtl & Nusselt numbers (fluid dynamics, heat transfer, convection, diffusion...)...

Interesting but absolutely mind numbing... 😑
Part of getting job test for hiring fitter / welders at oil companies and bridge builders. Did not need it after, but they did want to know the depth of your knowledge.
The engineers that drew up the prints knew how to figure it out. Now maybe not so much
 
or 4/3 pie are cubed; I mean... did you ever use it?
[edit] funny though today I spoke in "VARS" for the first time in 35 years; revisiting and explaining my understanding of CSIR two pole single phase motor control through VAC modulation through [Ill get there, Ill get there] a simple resistor within a controller where... amperage grossly exceeds motor nameplate amperage almost until the rotor "catches up" with the field... yeah, but if you don't get it... you don't got it
[edit] somebody wants to know, you have to ask yourself, do you remember
the funny question was, why didn't they just use a VFD? :roflmao-2x:
What's the phrase I'm looking for; youth is wasted on the oh so very young
 
Last edited:
Yeah... surfaces and volumes of "irregular bodies"... pfffff...

The trade masters course wasn't that much different:
fabricating a part on the lathe
cutting speed and depth are given
so how much are the electricity costs for making like 200 parts...

similar example with a truck mounted concrete pump
varying viscosity and gravel sizes...
like how much time and Diesel required for pumping 26m³ into the 5th floor...

me brain started disengaged when it came to the Prandtl & Nusselt numbers (fluid dynamics, heat transfer, convection, diffusion...)...

Interesting but absolutely mind numbing... 😑
So what killed the mouse on the cart the brick wall or the guitillene?
 
Now, take that mercury into any naval ship and see what happens,
Many years ago, I was assigned to an Auxiliary Repair ship ( USS Hector AR-7) and we had a job to replace the fluid used in a gyroscope (Mark 11, Mod 6). The fluid used was mercury, and we needed 2 Lbs. I ordered it, and found to my surprise we had it in stock. I went to supply to get it, they brought me to a supply cage containing a cabinet with a bunch of drawers. Opened the drawers, there it was. Each pound was in a small jar. Not stored in a Hazmat area, no warnings posted about the major problem if there was a fire in there.

That all changed when I reported the issue with improper storage. There was a sign on the quarterdeck that notified anyone coming aboard that the ship was a "Mercury Exclusion Area" too. <sigh>
 
... well...

632539292_828134606905712_3255398491528010489_n.jpg

not entirely true, but while getting an ear full mom seemed indeed to be more worried about the glass shards then any mercury vapor... ;)
So out came the vacuum, all cleaned up, dust-bag in the trash...
My 7th or 8th grade science teacher passed a blob of mercury around the class. Wasn’t much left by the time it got to me.
 
Back
Top Bottom