Old Enough To Remember?

Why gen-Xers are seem to always be in a bad mood?

Well, first we had to replace our vinyl collection with cassette tapes...
that we had to replace with a CD collection...
then we had to replace that with an MP3 file system...

and these days we're suddenly required to have some online subscription to listen to music... :cautious:
 
... definitely...

610670674_18065710769557338_2039385480698263501_n.jpg
As I told a mother in Walmart one day whose 3 year old was having a mighty fine hissy fit in the floor -

"My Momma had a cure for that!" ;)
 
I worked at Woodwards downtown Edmonton on the food floor. My buddy got a job in menswear making 3.07 while I got a job on the food floor for 4.40 quite a difference really, in those days. He had to buy a suit; you can't sell suits if you don't wear one, it was quite an expenditure. I also had to adhere and weigh in on atire; mine however, was I think if I recall correctly, dark blue pants and a blue shirt. Not too big an expenditure.
At the time, the food floor must have been more proffitable; I remember one of my co workers working at parcel pickup [where all the groceries went across I think it might have been 111 ave via conveyer belt] getting 7.80 an hour and only keeping the job because he had "seniority" I asked hem [i think it might have been [76], tell me more, about this... seniority
But even then [no, seniority didn't mean you get a seniorita or anything like that, it mean't that if you stayed with Woodwards or Shell, or Johnson Controls and invested with them for life, that...
[edit] you had already stayed too long
 
I remember my 1st real job was 1.25 an hour and we got a free meal before starting. Farrells Ice Cream Palour rocked. We got into so much fun. Think jail time or a record would happen now. It was a perfect high school job, paid for my first bike. A Honda 450 scrambler, which kept me out of trouble, ie, a whole car packed full of drunk and stoned kids. Could not pack to many on the bike, me being stoned or drunk was enough.
I have lived long enough to understand just how luck got me through those years, been "dry" for coming up on 40 years now.
 
I remember running church notices off on the Gestetner.......

I think I had more ink on me than on the paper output......
Ah that smell ... ;)
 
I do have to admit, I don't know "Gestetner" but am guessing it's English-English for mimeograph.
Gestetner is a type of machine designed for duplicating paperwork and is named after the man who invented it. These machines became so ubiquitous that all duplicating machines were referred to as Gestetners in the same way that all pain relief pills were referred to as Aspirins and all facial tissues were referred to as Kleenex.
 
I've never heard of a Gestetner machine either. I'm also thinking it is what we called a mimeograph machine in the US. It had blue copy and a definite aroma. The newer the copy the stronger the aroma!
 
I've never heard of a Gestetner machine either. I'm also thinking it is what we called a mimeograph machine in the US. It had blue copy and a definite aroma. The newer the copy the stronger the aroma!
Similar but different execution. They both produce ink copies but using different methods. Mimeograph is more like silk screening while Gestetner is more like a minuturized printing press from what I remember but I don't remember much detail as I was a child when I used one.
 
Back
Top Bottom