Old Enough To Remember?

... if it was still attached, you just kept working…

638104279_1542749441189808_2046771231501944402_n.jpg

(I still reckon the old tar-impregnated cotton fabric tapes with rubber adhesive, the cut healed almost over night...)
I think you are talking about what we in the US called "friction tape". I saw a lot of it in the wiring of very old houses.
 
How about getting to go to the local Matchbox store, rows and rows of tiny vehicles, when each one came in a real wooden matchbox case! I wish I still had those with stricker sides and all!
My mom would take me every once in a while and I will never forget the magic in that place,
and now the rarity that you would never think.
Kinda the same thing with dreaming at the Scwinn store in later years of that lime green stick shift stingray but Mom got the logical 26 in huffy with wide bars and well, always wanted a stingray!!
 
Last edited:
How about getting to go to the local Matchbox store, rows and rows of tiny vehicles, when each one came in a real wooden matchbox case! I wish I still had those with stricker sides and all!
My mom would take me every once in a while and I will never forget the magic in that place,
and now the rarity that you would never think.
Kinda the same thing with dreaming at the Scwinn store in later years of that lime green stick shift stingray but Mom got the logical 26 in huffy with wide bars and well, always wanted a stingray!!
Yes I remember. Didn’t have a specialty store but the local Boston Store had a great display. Could ride my bike there. $.52 with tax. Remember getting the ambulance with the separate stretcher in it. The Schwinn Sting Ray was bomb or as we call it “Boss”. My friend had one. I got the Treasure Island special one speed. 😂
 
When I was about six years old my mother said she wanted to take me somewhere. We got in the car and she drove me to the toy store. I did not understand what was going on as it wasn't my birthday or any particular special day. We went into the store where she asked me to pickout a wagon. She told me every boy needs a wagon. We loaded it up and took it home. I got a lot of use out of that wagon. It's amazing what a kid with some imagination can find to do with one.

1771542188721.png
 
Bilko
Abrams
Sanders
Carter
You're too old if you remember these names, too young if you never heard of them! (hint: they are ranked accordingly)
 
You can always tell when a customer has worked a customer-facing job before…

They’re patient, polite, and quick to thank you because they know firsthand how far a little courtesy can get them...
I have never worked in a job like that but my mom was a waitress in a popular cafe in our small town for a few decades. She taught us to always be patient and kind to anyone in those kinds of jobs. My wife and I have drummed it into our kids heads too.
 
I have never worked in a job like that but my mom was a waitress in a popular cafe in our small town for a few decades.
She taught us to always be patient and kind to anyone in those kinds of jobs. My wife and I have drummed it into our kids heads too.
Spent my apprenticeship in repairing 'white goods' (washers, fridges, freezers) and worked on residential a/c till present day, so always installations and service calls at the client's place, and over the decades you meet a wide variety of people and characters...
Fact is, those who are in a trade themself are still the most 'cooperative'... those with 'a degree' who never held a tool in their entire lifetime, not so much... :wink:

Same when it comes to car and bike workshops (or annual tech inspections): the minimum in courtesy is to show up with a washed vehicle, respect your mech and that...
 
Back
Top Bottom