Plastic CLIP/rivets dohickies

OK whats the secret....those flush pinned plastic clips on the maintenance panel, lower side cowls and front lower cone made me feel just down right stupid. :confused::rocket1: I destroyed about 4 of them in frustration!! Made changing the oil a not fun job....geeze. So what is the easy way to remove them and re-use them. :bow1:
Also, when ordering them over the net, are they really $2-3 each or for the amount needed for the panel. 3 different ones as well!! Whats up with that!!!!????

So far, I've been lucky, and only had trouble with the three located right behind the front tire; the ones that hold the front halves of the lower cowls together. They get all the road tar. I use pliers to pull and twist. Eventually, the head will pop free, but it's still a POA to get them out. Although I've never tried it, a shot of diesel or WD-40 might help unstick them. Some folks finds similar fasterners at Lowe's. I bought my extras online. They cost more, but filled out my order, and I know they're the right ones. $20 gets you a pretty good selection.

What'll really bake your noodle is the fact that you don't need to remove any trim clips other than the one on the maintenance panel to change the oil.

To remove a flush-pinned clip, press the center in with a 2.5mm hex wrench or something similar, then lift the clip out by the edges. To re-install, push the plunger so the center is popped out 3-4mm from the surface, install the clip and push the plunger in until it's flush.

There are pictures on page 2-5 of the service manual.

--Mark

........ 3 different ones as well!! Whats up with that!!!!????

Smooth heads go where a flush-mount makes a nice appearance, button heads go where a nice appearance isn't necessary, and mushroom heads go into recesses where either a smooth head or button head would be hard to get a hold of.

All of them re-install basically the same way as Mark descriped, pull the center pin up, insert the clip, push the center pin down to lock it in place.

Last edited:
As Mark mentioned just push the center of the maintenance panel push pin in to release it and pull it out. To reuse push the center pin the other way so it is above flush reinstall and push the button flush to anchor it. You can change the oil on the side stand and avoid making a mess on the center stand when removing the oil filter.

While on the side stand make a tent with aluminum foil to protect the pipes on the down (side stand) side. This will guide the oil into the drain pan when removing the filter. Just push the center stand out of the way and use a cap type oil filter remover to get the oil filter off.

The clips are pretty cheesy imop.:rolleyes:

Again thanks guys!!! This forum is just the best.....trouble is I end up staying on it waaaayyyy too long. :bow1:Youse guys are always so helpful and love the banter....LOL Thanks again!!!!!!:)

As for the 2 trim clips that keep the 2 halves of the lower cowl together (black bit) I just use a zip tie its stronger, can't be seen and costs virtually nothing!

As for the 2 trim clips that keep the 2 halves of the lower cowl together (black bit) I just use a zip tie its stronger, can't be seen and costs virtually nothing!

Thanks!
I had not thought of a zip tie.
A zip tie will probably last longer too! :)

Zip tie is a good idea..

Also when you have the rivets off, just get them wet and work 'em a bit to loosen any dirt that makes them stuck..(not that dirt gets on my bike:rolleyes:)

when you take them off, put them in a pan of water or something and let them soak..If they are wet they will go back in easier..(Stop thinking it Gents!!! even though I am! HA!)

Zip tie is a good idea..

Also when you have the rivets off, just get them wet and work 'em a bit to loosen any dirt that makes them stuck..(not that dirt gets on my bike:rolleyes:)

STart hijack!

You got me here Todd... don't you think the dirt is helping keep yours together by now? ;)

End hijack!

Can I get more information please?
Which fastners and what department has them?
The local Lowes just opened up here and the people aren't familiar with what I'm looking for. I've seen Home Depot mentioned as well. What dept are they in? Thanks

I have seen 'similar' plastic rivets at Lowes, but I've never had the factory ones in hand to compare. The rivet parts at Lowes are in the nuts, bolts, and fasterners section, and are in small cubby drawers. In the nearest Lowes to me, the nuts/bolts/fasteners section is in the very first aisle when you walk in, next to the large open promotion/seasonal floor display area.

Let us know what you find. If I have time, I'll pull a rivet and try to get some spares in hand before the CO Tech Day this saturday. :)

Edit: just remembered this related thread...

Last edited:
Thanks.
Home Depot didn't have any and suggested I go to Brafasco. Brafasco doesn't carry plastic fasteners but can order them in. Problem is they only come in boxes of 100. So we picked out the size that's closest to the one I took with me and I ordered a box... $18 taxes in for a box of 100....I will have spares if anyone needs them :D

I have seen 'similar' plastic rivets at Lowes, but I've never had the factory ones in hand to compare. The rivet parts at Lowes are in the nuts, bolts, and fasterners section, and are in small cubby drawers. In the nearest Lowes to me, the nuts/bolts/fasteners section is in the very first aisle when you walk in, next to the large open promotion/seasonal floor display area.

I have bought several different types of the Lowe's plastic rivets and am not satisified with any of them. I broke down a couple of weeks ago and bought some more Honda rivets to replace my broken ones.

I have bought several different types of the Lowe's plastic rivets and am not satisified with any of them. I broke down a couple of weeks ago and bought some more Honda rivets to replace my broken ones.

I was just going to go to Lowe's after work and get a handful. How're they coming up short for you?

OK ...I went to my local Powersports Honda dealer today to buy a few of the clips as there are at least 3 different ones. The small one that holds the maintenance panel was about $1.91 each...they were out of them. The one on the lower side cowls at the top were $5 each...YOWSER. I ended up buying 2 Suzuki small clips that worked at $3.46 each. We tried them on the maintenance panel of a 2009 ST on the floor. He was able to remove the originals in about a second and half....I was impressed...especially since it took me about ten mins.. and I ended up destroying it as I ripped it out with needle noses....LOL....Live and learn....hehe...Another counter helper suggested Lowe's as well....so off I went. Yep they had several kinds for $1.04 each. I found two 1/4" clips one with a head on the pin and one with out...figured they would make good backups. They are a little different but should work.

Alan what didnt you like about the Lowe's clips???? I just cant justify $5 for a little plastic clip!!!!!:mad::confused:

Sarcastic One....let me know when you get yours bulk lot....I'll chip in for 20. Do you know how they compare in size and style to the Honda clips? Flush pin or pin with a head? Etc... Thx!!!

Back
Top Bottom