Replacing dedicated GPS device with Smart Phone

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
After looking into the idea of using a smartphone in earnest as a GPS, I'm finding it has some shortcomings.

I wanted what I think was impossible to find. A ruggedized smartphone that had a fast processor, great battery life and bright screen that could be seen clearly in bright sunlight. I wanted a smartphone that was waterproof and shockproof. And I wanted it cheap. You can get some of those criteria, but you won't get all of them at once.

A used Kyocera Duraforce Pro 2, or equivalent, seems to be around $100-120. I wanted to find one at $50-60. Then I need a mount. Add on a mount for the handlebars at about $30-40. And then add on the software at about $13 a year for a TomTom subscription and I'm up to just short of $200. A dedicated Garmin Zumo 396 is selling for $249, and it just works out of the box.

The Samsung Galaxy S7 seems to be waterproof...but there are rumors that many are not after all. So I spend $120 and find I bought a sunny ride only GPS? The software may or may not take multi-point routing like I'd want for a motorcycle ride. But the Garmin works.

I'm going to try being patient and just wait for the power cord.

Chris

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
So, with all the recent commentary, how else can those who want to use their cell phone as their GPS device be assisted.
THAT IS, after all, what THIS thread is about as I've stated in several posts throughout this thread.
A dedicated GPS unit is great for those who have chosen to go that "route" but for those who want to instead use their cell phone for navigation is what THIS thread is about.
I KNOW about the pros and cons of using a dedicated navigation unit. BTDT.
Any more tips or hints or procedures or etc for using a cell phone as GPS please do post in this thread. There are other threads for posting about the merits of the various dedicated GPS units.
Thank you all who posted with information about successfully using a cell phone for this purpose.
There are phones available that can stand up to using in the rain and heat (Mine has yet to show any issues with heat but I really haven't ridden yet in temps over 100 with it), but they usually do cost a little more. Most people who buy a really good cell phone are paying that price anyway. My Pixel 4 cost less than most good cell phones and has what I determined is needed for this purpose as well as all other cell phone purposes. And I don't have all the garbage software that is forced on users of other big name phones. Just relatively pure Android, which makes it actually more reliable and better IMHO.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
In the old days before the GPS and apps and routing programs, I drew directions on a piece of paper and placed them on my tank or a tank bag. In most cases I needed more than one page.
yeah, I think there's a lot of regional variation on this theme. For you guys in the east, where there's roads heading in every direction, navigation may be more of a thing. In the west, where the next possible road to turn on is obvious and 40 miles away, navigation isn't as big a deal until you get into a city. There's not that many large ones to begin with, and usually the objective was to avoid them anyway.

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
The next thing you know is that you will be shedding that luddite moniker:rofl1:
not to sure about that. after 45 years in pneumatics / hydraulics and steam power i may deserve it! it takes 20 attaboys to equal 1 oh sh-t!:biggrin:

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
One thing I don't understand, is how the offline maps work. In order to navigate, the phone should know my position. If there's no service, in my view the offline maps become just as good as the paper maps. Unless... the phone has a capability to use satellites the way GPS does...
Virtually all smartphones have this capability. ie. navigate offline maps using satellite communication. No need for cell or wifi service.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
So, with all the recent commentary, how else can those who want to use their cell phone as their GPS device be assisted.
Rather than reinvent the wheel, here is a 300 page thread on AdvRider that discusses it.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
A used Kyocera Duraforce Pro 2, or equivalent, seems to be around $100-120. I wanted to find one at $50-60. Then I need a mount. Add on a mount for the handlebars at about $30-40. And then add on the software at about $13 a year for a TomTom subscription and I'm up to just short of $200. A dedicated Garmin Zumo 396 is selling for $249, and it just works out of the box.

Chris
I too was looking into the Kyocera DF, but when the Garmin XT came out and the Zumo 396 prices dropped, I scooped up a 396 for the very reasons you mentioned. I really like the weather (with radar) and traffic options on the 396. I now use that 396 and my Chinavasion 5" motorcycle GPS. Both work well.

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Virtually all smartphones have this capability. ie. navigate offline maps using satellite communication. No need for cell or wifi service.
Agreed, there probably hasn't been a smartphone made in the past 10 years that doesn't have a GPS chip in it.

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
It's a 2 year old thread... it can't help but drift a little. ;) Plus, it's all somewhat related to the topic IMO.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've been frustrated using my cell as a navigation tool for years. I've really tried to make it work. I've tried numerous programs including map.me, OsmAnd, Waze, etc. I keep coming back to GoogleMaps for routing around town and Waze to track speed, cops, etc. I've started to look for a dedicated device and will probably end up with a Garmin some day....

My largest issue with GoogleMaps is that they (Google) keeps updating the functionality. When Google purchased Waze Google put a speedometer on GoogleMaps, but then took it away. This happens a lot. I happens enough that I sometimes feel it is not dependable.

Regarding the use of GPS, it has been my experience with GoogleMaps that it wants an internet connection for routing. Once you are in route, you can lose connection and it will normally track you. However, just recently I've had a difficult time with satellite signals when I am in a canyon or in some remote areas. The only fix is to back out and "recenter" so it will "find" you. Doing all this while riding really defeats the purpose and safety of having navigation.

I'm sure Google will figure it out and it will work better soon. But... then there will be another update and functionality will become unstable for a while.

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
No, not angry. Just thinking that all the talk of Garmin being better dilutes the original thought of this thread since it is really about how to use your cell phone to navigate. I do like Garmin units but didn't want to spend the cash for another one if my cell phone could do what I need already. It does per my experience since I first posted here.

@Dale_I , I have that update that added the speedo in navigation. Then it updated again and added the speed limit next to the speedo where it is known. Now I have lane assist showing me which lane I need to be in for the next turn on multi lane roads. I've lost nothing through all the updates. Maybe you lost an update or the added overlay on base Android got in the way and broke the update. Happens a lot with non-pure Android phones. Why I abandoned Samsung and LG and even Motorola. Since I started this thread I've discovered I don't need any more than Google Maps Navigate and look forward to more updates that may possibly add more features bringing Google Maps closer to what a Garmin can do. I don't even need Internet or Cell signal if I download maps. But I do need Location turned on. I can plan a route and view the route and add or reorder stop points in the route without Location turned on but it won't actually navigate without that. Never had it be unstable either. That is usually due to those pesky OS overlays that are dropped on top of pure Android and Google then has to figure out how to make their update work around those. But on the Pixel there is no such issue that I've found.

Perhaps this thread should be locked since I think everything has been hashed out that can be on this issue. There are many threads on many forums I've read that served their purpose a long time ago but seem to be allowed to continue and end up drifting off to tangent themes abandoning the original theme.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
To increase the operational battery time of the phone when using it to navigate, turn on airplane mode. This stops the phone from hunting for a cell signal when there is none. This uses up battery time. If you do this, check to ensure that location is still on. Some phones turn it off when you activate airplane mode and you have to turn location back on.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
One thing I don't understand, is how the offline maps work. In order to navigate, the phone should know my position. If there's no service, in my view the offline maps become just as good as the paper maps. Unless... the phone has a capability to use satellites the way GPS does...
Most smartphone GPS apps and other satellite devices have the ability to download maps to use offline. All you need to do, is to select which map you want and download it before you leave at your home or motel room.

If there's no cell service, it doesn't make any difference since the GPS chip in the phone is separate from the cell phone network chip.

Chris

Top Bottom