Replacing dedicated GPS device with Smart Phone

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Is there a way to find a phone on eBay (or elsewhere) that won't work as a phone...but will work as a GPS?
Yes.

1) Buy a smartphone on eBay (or elsewhere)
2) Don't put a SIM card in it
3) Using Wi-Fi, install whatever GPS map program you want on it, and install offline maps (that last part is critical)
4) Enjoy your phone that won't work as a phone, but will work as a GPS

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Is there a way to find a phone on eBay (or elsewhere) that won't work as a phone...but will work as a GPS?
I'm currently testing a Samsung Galaxy Active 2 Tab using Co-pilot to see if it can replace my Garmin. It will be run without a SIM card using stored maps
It's as though he could see the future. The same could be done with a tablet if you wanted a bigger screen.

I've used my iPhone 5s and SE as my GPS device in an X-Grip. Some angles of the sun will render the screen unreadable but that's seldom been a problem for me. If moving in a direction where it will be a problem for awhile I can adjust the mount for some relief.

I can't really justify the purchase of a zümo, but sale prices can be tempting. Bezobub has the 396 and XT for $250 and $500 respectively and that feels almost doable.

The XT is a nice looking unit but it still bugs me that so much of the screen is taken up by the background blocks of the text and intrudes on the route display. The portrait mode seems to minimize that somewhat.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
The XT is a nice looking unit but it still bugs me that so much of the screen is taken up by the background blocks of the text and intrudes on the route display. The portrait mode seems to minimize that somewhat.
I like the XT, but the power cable died. Garmin is sending another, but who knows when. So in the meantime, I'm exploring other options...especially since I have the time to do so without feeling pressured. With the last of my planned trips over for the summer and the worst air quality in the world over much of the area I'd travel in, I'm in no hurry.

I felt the same way you did on the background blocks covering so much of the screen on the XT. I found the reality to be less of an issue than the potential issue before I tried it. They do cover a lot of the screen. Perhaps so you have room to press the controls with a glove on? What is left for the route display though is enough that I haven't missed it. And as for Portrait vs Landscape...It seems to leave you with just about the same amount of a display on each viewing mode.

I'm still looking for a cheap waterproof phone to test the idea of using a smartphone as a GPS. My concerns would be primarily whether it could be bright enough and would it function in high temperatures. While I don't plan to ride in 100+ degree heat for hours on end, I find myself doing it on trips where there's an itinerary and I don't have much choice. (Last trip was up to 112F.)
Chris

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #

I don't want to use my expensive Galaxy Note 9 on my handlebar. I'm just a little too nervous about the posts I've read of newer smartphone's optical stabilization being ruined by the handlebar vibrations. So what I'm looking for is just a phone that will work solely as a GPS.

Chris
There's a very long thread about this on ADVrider. It started in Feb 2017, so take that into account. It discusses using a rugged waterproof Kyocera phone as a primary GPS, with nav software from the Android store. The Duraforce XD with a 5.7" screen seems to be the most popular choice. And, cell service is not required... pretty much just works like a tablet with wifi and a GPS receiver.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Thanks, Paul. I'll go back and check that one again. I thought I had seen a post somewhere about a specific term to look for, that indicated you couldn't use the phone as a phone, but otherwise it would work just fine.

The term looks to be "Bad ESN or IMEI".

Chris

Shawn K

Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Thanks, Paul. I'll go back and check that one again. I thought I had seen a post somewhere about a specific term to look for, that indicated you couldn't use the phone as a phone, but otherwise it would work just fine.

The term looks to be "Bad ESN or IMEI".

Chris
I don't mean to muddy the issue, but you don't need to look for a phone with a bad ESN or IMEI. Any phone can be used as a GPS unit without being a phone, just remove the SIM card. I have a drawer full of old smartphones that still work fine, they just don't have a SIM card in them.

A phone with a bad ESN or IMEI can only be used as a non-phone item, but it doesn't mean that only bad ESN/IMEI phones can be used.

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
Yes.

1) Buy a smartphone on eBay (or elsewhere)
2) Don't put a SIM card in it
3) Using Wi-Fi, install whatever GPS map program you want on it, and install offline maps (that last part is critical)
4) Enjoy your phone that won't work as a phone, but will work as a GPS

sorry to bother but i am the guy that repels technology ! where do you get the offline maps and does the phone have to have reception? I was riding by Kings Ferry, FL. today both waze and google maps said they could not route me back home! I had to fire up the dusty, trusty, lying garmin kept in the top box. cell phone (LG android) had no signal. That happens a lot, i like to ride the county roads in whatever state i am in (farm to market in Texas).
Thanks dan

Bike
'04 ST1300
I enjoy having nav in my cars, but on my bike I’m a bit old school. I don’t see the need to have an electronic device taking my attention away from the road.

For longer trips my group would always sit down the night before or in the morning with a fold up paper map, and write down the days turns / route numbers on the back of my hand or stick a note on the clear top of the tank bag. Works well, no cell service or gps required, and no updates to upload (other than the occasional paper map purchase)

Worked well for many years on cross country and Mexico trips. If you get too lost, pull over and consult the map.

To each his own however...

Shawn K

Bike
GL1800
STOC #
sorry to bother but i am the guy that repels technology ! where do you get the offline maps and does the phone have to have reception? I was riding by Kings Ferry, FL. today both waze and google maps said they could not route me back home! I had to fire up the dusty, trusty, lying garmin kept in the top box. cell phone (LG android) had no signal. That happens a lot, i like to ride the county roads in whatever state i am in (farm to market in Texas).
Thanks dan
Depends on what map program you're using, but on all the major players there's usually a "download offline maps" section in Settings. You'll need to have cell signal or Wi-Fi to download the maps, but once they're installed on your phone you no longer need cellular reception for them to work (that's the point of offline maps... they allow the map program to continue functioning even when you aren't online, i.e. have no cell signal).

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks dan
Many of the mapping apps (including Google) have methods of downloading and storing maps to be used off line. ie. you DO NOT need a cellular or WiFi connection to utilize them).

For Google maps:
you need a Google account. If you do not have one, then it is easy to set up.
- tap on the icon on the top right of the Google map page. It is a colored circle with a letter in it. Usually the letter corresponds to the first letter of your first name. That will bring up a list of options for your account.
- tap on "offline maps". This will then show you "select your own map:". Tap on that and it will bring up a square containing an area of a map. Simply drag the map around until you have the area you want to download and then hit "download" and voila, the map will be downloaded and stored for use offline.

With Google maps, you have to update them periodically if you want to retain them, or you can delete them after use to free up memory.

Most other map apps allow you to do the same thing. eg. Osmand.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
need to have an electronic device taking my attention away from the road.
I guess I am just the opposite. Having the GPS talk to me allows me to pay more attention to the road and my riding. I can be looking for street/road signs/exits, etc, without having to divert my eyes to a map. eg. many European cities utilize traffic circles (roundabouts) that have multiple exits (most I have seen is 8) and there are multiple traffic circles within a very short distance (eg. 3 within a half mile). A gps, with voice guidance will get you through them much easier than trying to follow a paper map; especially in heavy traffic.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I enjoy having nav in my cars, but on my bike I’m a bit old school. I don’t see the need to have an electronic device taking my attention away from the road.
When on unknown twisty roads, I zoom in all the way on my Garmin, and I know what to expect around the next corner.

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
Depends on what map program you're using, but on all the major players there's usually a "download offline maps" section in Settings. You'll need to have cell signal or Wi-Fi to download the maps, but once they're installed on your phone you no longer need cellular reception for them to work (that's the point of offline maps... they allow the map program to continue functioning even when you aren't online, i.e. have no cell signal).

Thanks Shawn K! i appreciate the info and will try to set my phone up accordingly.

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
Many of the mapping apps (including Google) have methods of downloading and storing maps to be used off line. ie. you DO NOT need a cellular or WiFi connection to utilize them).

For Google maps:
you need a Google account. If you do not have one, then it is easy to set up.
- tap on the icon on the top right of the Google map page. It is a colored circle with a letter in it. Usually the letter corresponds to the first letter of your first name. That will bring up a list of options for your account.
- tap on "offline maps". This will then show you "select your own map:". Tap on that and it will bring up a square containing an area of a map. Simply drag the map around until you have the area you want to download and then hit "download" and voila, the map will be downloaded and stored for use offline.

With Google maps, you have to update them periodically if you want to retain them, or you can delete them after use to free up memory.

Most other map apps allow you to do the same thing. eg. Osmand.

thanks drrod, as i have told Shawn K, i am going to try to set this up on my phone. have been avoiding making a google account (very suspicious of the "cloud" but might have to make one! very encouraged by no need for signal.

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
Shout Out to Shawn K And drrod! Thanks guys i have installed google maps offline. will try it out tomorrow. was quite easy to install just had to keep avoiding "create face book account (will never have a face book acct). also google kept asking for credit card for future payments. I avoided all that stuff and got the download installed. Thanks again!

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
There's a very long thread about this on ADVrider. It started in Feb 2017, so take that into account. It discusses using a rugged waterproof Kyocera phone as a primary GPS, with nav software from the Android store. The Duraforce XD with a 5.7" screen seems to be the most popular choice. And, cell service is not required... pretty much just works like a tablet with wifi and a GPS receiver.
I have a couple of those, including one that I use as my main phone and another that I run simless. It is bulletproof (only the Verizon version though) and pretty bright. I have had it shut down on overheat a few times though. If you want to use a simless Android, it is about the top of the heap.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
How do you watch the screen and the twisty road at the same time?
Practice! Actually, I scan the GPS before the turn, and then concentrate on the turn itself once I get there. Back and forth.

The Garmin is attached to the lower center of my windshield with a suction-cup mount, so it's not out of my line-of-sight.

Top Bottom