St1100 Full Restoration Rebuild

You should be ok, on an ABS frame they’ve added mounting hardware for the extra brake lines alongside the standard. You will have an option to mount the coolant reservoir to a front location instead of the rear. ( the rear mounts are still there). On the swingarm there are extra clips for brake lines and a mount for the ABS speed sensor just ignore that.

Thanks Kiltman,

Fingers and toes crossed.

Hi UpNorth,

Thanks for the information and advice. It's dawned on me that perhaps more research on my part should have been done prior to choosing a frame. I saw a tidy frame online 8n Hampshire with virtually no rust and couldn't resist. Lol

If it has to remain fully abs, c'est la vie.

Will definitely take your advice and not get any parts until checking the frame number and the designation below the seat you mentioned.

No wheels as yet. Just the frame and an engine.
I think you could build it as a non ABS, but you might have to be creative with the calipers etc.
I know ABSll brakes have been fitted to a non ABS so someone will know the answer. When I say fitted I don't mean ABS just the larger calipers.
Upt'North.

Last edited:
A couple of things that come to mind that you should be aware of.

ABS has larger forks. If you have the ABS forks, you will need to order those parts for an ABS model.
I seem to recall that ABS had a different size wheel rim. Can't remember whether it was the front or back.
ABS also has different calipers from the non-ABS. I don't know how that affects caliper mounting.

The below thread might provide some insight identifying what you have based on serial numbers;
For a general overview: Talk model type, without much hype.

Last edited:
I've not looked st the designation on the frame under the seat but from the Haynes manual and the link above from Andrew it it is definitely an Abs model.

The vin is JH2 SC26 B1 XM 300***

If I've got it right then the model year 1999 and should be the AX designation.

Are all the engine's interchangeable between the frames?

If so the next step is to source forks, swingarm and wiring loom/harness.

I've recently 'inherited! my Dad's tools and just acquired a ST1100 bare frame and engine.
My plan is to strip the frame to bare metal and rebuild it like new, bolt by bolt, piece by piece as the ST1100 was my Dad's favourite bike.

Just a general observation here is that if all you have is a bare frame and an engine, you're going to spend a fortune sourcing all the parts required for a complete rebuild to put a bike on the road. It would be far far cheaper for you to simply purchase a whole bike, then tear it down for a rebuild. It's not clear if the frame and engine came from your dad. If they did and for sentimental reasons you want to use them just swap them out for the parts on the whole bike.

Last edited:
Hi restored,

Yes, you're right. It's going to cost a lot more sourcing the parts separately. I should have purchased a full bike rather than a bare frame.

The frame and engine came from the same seller in Hampshire, which is the south coast of England. Compared to where I live in the south Pennine hills of Lancashire the weather is night and day.

No snow or salt on the roads and much less rainy days means this 23 year frame is in excellent shape with virtually no rust. I couldn't resist.

Alas it wasn't my Dad's bike but using his tools will be a labour of love.

There is a monthly budget that I'll stick to and just plug away piece by piece, month by month until its complete.

Right now it's more about the work than the finished product. But that could change.

Hmm...am reposting as my recent post appears blank.

The frame is an AX designation.

Attachments

• 20220207_151237.jpg
    20220207_151237.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 17
Just a general observation here is that if all you have is a bare frame and an engine, you're going to spend a fortune sourcing all the parts required for a complete rebuild to put a bike on the road.
Agree with this comment, and would like to add that many of the parts are no longer available from Honda at any price, especially bodywork like mirror covers, etc. Have you looked into the parts availability issues in detail? Take a look through the 1999 microfiche online and note how many parts are discontinued. For the parts that are available, if you're buying them one at a time you'll have a $50k bike by the time you're done, so you're probably going to end up buying a couple parts donor bikes in the process.

Agree with this comment, and would like to add that many of the parts are no longer available from Honda at any price, especially bodywork like mirror covers, etc. Have you looked into the parts availability issues in detail? Take a look through the 1999 microfiche online and note how many parts are discontinued. For the parts that are available, if you're buying them one at a time you'll have a $50k bike by the time you're done, so you're probably going to end up buying a couple parts donor bikes in the process.
Thank you dwalby.

Will keep an eye out for a complete donor before buying any more individual parts.

Yesterday I finally got 2 simple parts that have been discontinued by Honda and it's taken me 3 years to track down and find some new old stock!

So there are still bits n bobs out there..... Don;t know if that helps or not.. lol

ABS has larger forks. If you have the ABS forks, you will need to order those parts for an ABS model.
I seem to recall that ABS had a different size wheel rim. Can't remember whether it was the front or back.
ABS also has different calipers from the non-ABS. I don't know how that affects caliper mounting.

If you are starting from scratch, go with non-ABS. The parts are more plentiful.

The ABS II forks are a larger diameter so you will need the ABS II triple tree also. Both triple trees fit the frame. ABS II is '96 and newer. Older ABS forks are the same diameter as non-ABS

The ABS II front wheel is a different size, rotors are different size, and caliper is completely different. The rear wheel is the same size from day one. If you're staying with ABS, the wheel will need to be machined for the ABS trigger ring to be mounted.

An ABS II font end needs an ABS II front fender. It is a 2 piece unit and very difficult to find used and not available from Honda.

Last edited:
If you are starting from scratch, go with non-ABS. The parts are more plentiful.

The ABS II forks are a larger diameter so you will need the ABS II triple tree also. Both triple trees fit the frame. ABS II is '96 and newer. Older ABS forks are the same diameter as non-ABS

The ABS II front wheel is a different size, rotors are different size, and caliper is completely different. The rear wheel is the same size from day one. If you're staying with ABS, the wheel will need to be machined for the ABS trigger ring to be mounted.

An ABS II font end needs an ABS II front fender. It is a 2 piece unit and very difficult to find used and not available from Honda.

Hi Ron,

Thank you very much for the detailed information.

Am trying to source a ST1100 spares/repairs bike with the plan of stripping it send putting clean or new parts on the frame I already have once it's powder coated.

So far it is proving difficult with none currently up for grabs on ebay.co.uk.

Does anyone know of any other sites that sell spares/repairs bikes?

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with using an engine stand?

Just wanting to make sure the ST1100 engine configuration will mount to a stand.

Am trying to source a ST1100 spares/repairs bike with the plan of stripping it send putting clean or new parts on the frame I already have once it's powder coated.

So far it is proving difficult with none currently up for grabs on ebay.co.uk.

Does anyone know of any other sites that sell spares/repairs bikes?
Phil. When you're right you're right.
Even rough high mileage 11's seem to be going up in value. With very little out there below £2K.
If as suggested you decide to build it as an ABS without the ABS, be aware that if you buy an ABS donor then the wiring loom and other bits and bobs are different. I don't think they would be insurmountable but might give you headache. You could just source a Non ABS bike, when you can obviously. If I see anything I'll let you know.
Good luck.
Upt'North.

Phil. When you're right you're right.
Even rough high mileage 11's seem to be going up in value. With very little out there below £2K.
If as suggested you decide to build it as an ABS without the ABS, be aware that if you buy an ABS donor then the wiring loom and other bits and bobs are different. I don't think they would be insurmountable but might give you headache. You could just source a Non ABS bike, when you can obviously. If I see anything I'll let you know.
Good luck.
Upt'North.

Thanks very much mate. I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom