ST1100 - jump starting

Bike
ST1100AY
Does somebody make an EC5 with a cap similar to the PowerPole connector above? I've been looking and haven't found any.
Closest I could find is a 3D print connector mount ...

EC5 socket.png
and an aircraft GX20 rubber boot

GX20.png

Bike
ST1100AY
Still a no-go. Starting current is starting current no matter its source.
I think I used the wrong terminology ! I mean't one of those lithium packs that charge the dead battery and you disconnect before starting. I call them jump packs !!

JUST INSTALL A 10 AWG WIRE ON EACH TERMINAL AND RUN THEM UP UNDER THE SEAT CAP THEM OFF AND WHEN YOU NEED TO JUMP START YOU ONLY NEED TO REMOVE THE SEAT

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I think I used the wrong terminology ! I mean't one of those lithium packs that charge the dead battery and you disconnect before starting. I call them jump packs !!
Guess I have never seen one of those. My Antigravity battery says not to leave it connected. Attach - start - remove.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
They are widely used in the remote control hobby. Those kinds of outlets might have a bulkhead / firewall type connector. I just leave a pigtail like you would do with an SAE.
The R/C thing is why I didn't think they'd work well for jumpstarting a bike. Good to know about the ~120A rating. My SAE connectors have caps and they're available separately so I thought that would be true for EC5s.

I stumbled across an SAE connector with rubber boot
That could be handy for heated gear and such. SAEs are rated at about 15A so too light for jumpstarting.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I mean't one of those lithium packs that charge the dead battery and you disconnect before starting. I call them jump packs !!
I haven't seen one of those either. I have a GoGoo (??) very similar to the post 37. It says to connect and start within 30s and disconnect. If the battery is in reasonably good shape and you just left the key on during a lunch stop (this happened to a "friend" once) maybe a 29s charge could wake the battery enough to start. But using a connector that could stand the jump to hyperspace would be a better option. Little to no waiting I'd assume.

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
If you have an OEM setup and have to remove the bag, seat, and side panel, make sure that you have 2 keys. One key will be in the ignition switch and stay there to keep the newly started engine running. The other key will be used to lock the left side bag onto the ST.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
If you have an OEM setup and have to remove the bag, seat, and side panel, make sure that you have 2 keys. One key will be in the ignition switch and stay there to keep the newly started engine running. The other key will be used to lock the left side bag onto the ST.
Good habit anyway. I routinely carry two rings, each with a bike key and a trunk key. I often want luggage access while warming up.

Little is worse than starting a cold engine four times because you keep forgetting that you're not finished packing the bike yet. :mad:

Bike
2009 ST 1300PA
my st1300 Police has an aux terminal battery + connector under the right saddlebag, so it just requires taking off the right bag for charging or jump starting. I didn't realize until this thread that this is not a factory feature, but probably installed during the conversion to the PA.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I had thought of mounting something like this/these:

under the seat for use with full size jumper cables if it came to that. Behind a bag would probably be a better location.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
my st1300 Police has an aux terminal battery + connector under the right saddlebag, so it just requires taking off the right bag for charging or jump starting. I didn't realize until this thread that this is not a factory feature, but probably installed during the conversion to the PA.
Think you'll find that is not OEM for police models.

Bike
2009 ST 1300PA
Yes, I deduced that. It is, however, very convenient particularly since seat removal requires removing the back police box, then the bolt holding down the back of the seat. Probably why it was installed during the PA conversion.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
this is the location on my st1300 PA, 2009.
Thanks! I was going to ask about that.

Think you'll find that is not OEM for police models.
Probably not but a nice touch.

T_C said:
I would doubt even then, too much liability.
Possibly. But Long Beach Honda installs/installed oversize batteries with required a lot more hands on and massaging. That mod would mean getting bike back in service a whole lot quicker than waiting for a tow (an expression) to take it to the corp yard to get to the battery. I don't know that most PDs or SOs would do that on the street. Even if they did it would take longer than what this mod would allow.

Bike
2009 ST 1300PA
RE: " I would doubt even then, too much liability. Most likely installed by the owner after PD use."

Nope, I am the first owner since it was owned by the Washington State Police. Definitely installed during the conversion.

Top Bottom