Stuff Happens!!!

Patty - I was reading someone's blog that had pictures of a Goldwing in Alaska with studded snow tires on it. Can you do that and still ride?

I keep remembering how the friends from other places remind me how by living in those places they have ?free? this and ?free? that. Sarcastic font on ? I was under impression that their state or country government was just being nice ? sarcastic font off. :confused:

Well, if it's any consolation, we who live in Qu?bec must endure forced PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome) from Dec. 15 to Mar. 15 of every year, because the law here says that every vehicle on the road between those dates must have winter tires on it. And to add insult to injury, the license bureau still charges us the cost of plating our bikes for the entire year - and it is prohibitively expensive here (approx. $640 for a street bike, $1400 for a sport bike!).
Aw, heck, I know that doesn't make it any better for you! I am truly sorry you are without your beloved ST for the moment! :(
Hang in there, Ace!

Patty

Well these pics show the state of Honey...

I loaned a wheel and turned the bent forks around so that she would have some legs again, so that I could drain the oil and flush the motor via the sump, and then see if she would run... She really looks sad.
But she's a Honda! and she started!!!
So it will be a long slow road to recovery for her, but at least she's not terminal in my books... yeah!

Just the forks are so expensive!!! Any ideas?
Having the wheel repaired..
And plastics are gonna come from e-bay?

Attachments

• SDC17864.JPG
    SDC17864.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 45
  • SDC17866.JPG
    SDC17866.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 41
  • SDC10196.JPG
    SDC10196.JPG
    344 KB · Views: 44
The ST didn't sell to well in SA as Honda didn't advertise to well...
Built the best bike ever but couldn't get the adverts etc right, but now they're copying BMW GS adventure (well done to BMW)
So not to many to choose from...

And I'm not gonna be convinced that a single sided swing arm makes sense on a high milage tourer..(sorry BMW and now Honda [again -NS/R500?])
We dont need to change the wheel in milliseconds, an hour or so when on the long road isn't going to stop us winning the race...er...seeing the views...

Last edited:
Well there must be some good in a single sided swing arm because even BMW went down that route with the likes of the R1100RT/RS range which is still going strong with a 1250 engine these days.

Well there must be some good in a single sided swing arm because even BMW went down that route with the likes of the R1100RT/RS range which is still going strong with a 1250 engine these days.

Yes Honda did it for racing..Understood why.

Then BMW did it ...
Now Honda again...

I've only one question .... WHY?????

I think we will all agree that when a wheel is rotated and you try to hold it on one side (at the centre shaft) it is way more difficult than if you held both sides...
So What are the advantages...??? (Other than for a quick change over time...VS the forces on the bearings etc etc...)

Well one could argue about mono shocks the same way but I guess as long as you get the stress calculations right which they seem to have done,its not a major issue and it does reduce the overall weight.

Last edited:
Yes Honda did it for racing..Understood why.

Then BMW did it ...
Now Honda again...

I've only one question .... WHY?????

I think we will all agree that when a wheel is rotated and you try to hold it on one side (at the centre shaft) it is way more difficult than if you held both sides...
So What are the advantages...??? (Other than for a quick change over time...VS the forces on the bearings etc etc...)

Much my thoughts Ace...being an engineer, I look at it and think 'why the complexity' and reliability risk for a feature that saves 10 minutes once every few months??

As I see it, there aren't really strong advantages to single sided swing arms, but manufacturers will sell what people say they want or what another manufacturer makes a feature (so they have to match the feature or lose fickle business). With a single-sided swingarm, there's some weight savings on one side, but then weight addition on the remaining side to handle the strange torque loading... its an un-natural design and reliability has been questionable as a result.

As an anolgy, I think of the example of men's neck ties. Because society teaches that they make men look good and professional, therefore society buys them and manufacturers will make and sell them. Much the same as single sided swing arms IMO--the motorcycling community has come to think they're great, so manufacturers make and sell them--they become a feature comparison (whether the feature is really beneficial or not) ... "BMW and now Kawi have single sided swingarms, why don't you Honda and Yami??"

Last edited:
I whole heartedly agree (I'm an Engineer in 5 fields also).
One of my hobbies is ergonomics and design...
And it doesn't make much sense to do all that for the "suposed customers that want it so", as you say...
Weight savings verses strange centrifugal forces...?
(PS I believe the singe/ mono rear shock was an old idea that got redesigned eventually -it's a pretty good one as it gives the suspension and wheel a more relaxed but firm feel with lowered costs in building and maintenance...Most of the ideas on our bikes these days have been done a long time back...(upside down forks etc.)

Honda has started to sell the 1200 CrossRider(?) a duel purpose bike over here in SA and I wouldn't buy one of them either because it also has gone back to the sigle sided swing-arm...
I'm just not convinced...
I do a lot of distance and wouldn't like the wheel bearing to become an issue...
almost like having a bike with a chain drive and doing a couple of miles and having to worry about the wearing of the chain and sprockets...
(PS Chains don't stretch..they wear)
So by having a swing arm (read support) on either side of the central hub, I have more peace of mind, as the load is spread between the either side bearing with a much lower rate of force and weight combinations (probably about 4 times less than one bearing trying to hold/ control the forces of rotation.
So maybe they've got it right, but I dont want the extra worry playing in my head while I'm enjoying a 1000km day...

PS I dont were a neck-tie (noose) either...hehe

Last edited:
And eventually I can post this....
Christmas came early...
This is ST #3 Note ST #2 is standing under the covers next to her...
i'm so happy....!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Attachments

• SDC10537.JPG
    SDC10537.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 40
So my Christmas is already beautiful eh?

It is, indeed!!! :)
No physical leftovers from the get-off, I hope? I'm all healed up from my crash in June too...permanent scars on my upper arm from the burns from the exhaust pipe, but hey, there are worse things!

Geepers Patty Glad you're OK.
This could have been so much worse.
And now you've got the scars to tell the stories with.. er sorry get carried away.
But seriously I'm glad you are alive and well

Geepers Patty Glad you're OK.
This could have been so much worse.
And now you've got the scars to tell the stories with.. er sorry get carried away.
But seriously I'm glad you are alive and well

Me too, I still can't believe I wasn't injured a lot more seriously! Well, you know what they say...any crash you walk away from (well, in a manner of speaking...I was taken away from it by ambulance...on a backboard...heh...) is a good crash.
And now back to our regular programming...sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread!!

And then there were 2...
Yes after 1 year 9months and 21 days No2 has done 5kms on her own power and wheels...
A little work left but at least she can now join No3. parking the right way round in the bike shed!!:D

Attachments

• 20130924_090952.jpg
    20130924_090952.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20130924_091156.jpg
    20130924_091156.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20130924_091209.jpg
    20130924_091209.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 36
  • SDC12607.JPG
    SDC12607.JPG