Welcome to all the recent newbies

They do need to be replaced. I’m wondering the same thing tho’ about the timing belt. What do you think?
I have the same question about the timing belt on my 2000 ABS/TCS at 42000 miles. Official interval is 90,000 miles but its 41 years old. Considering a preventive swap for a new Gates belt before our Route 66 tour in a couple weeks. What say.y'all?

I had the original one on one of my 97s replaced a couple of years ago - still looked brand new - no cracks, no wear, etc. ;)
But suite yourself since you can have it done in short order - not your first rodeo! :biggrin:

I've forgotten as much as I remember, Phil. I do remember I changed Stick's belt at 210,000 (2nd time) using the belt from the 30,000 mile hulk motor, along with the water pump and idle pulley. Free used parts. I put another 50,000 or so on her, no problem.

I'm loathe to pull it apart just to read the label. Trying to recall the "check belt" process but I guess it's in the service manual, of which I now have three.

I have the same question about the timing belt on my 2000 ABS/TCS at 42000 miles. Official interval is 90,000 miles but its 41 years old. Considering a preventive swap for a new Gates belt before our Route 66 tour in a couple weeks. What say.y'all?
I'd say go and enjoy your ride George. And isn't that 21 years :biggrin:?
Upt'North.

Hi folks - new chap here - just bought a pan 1300, looking forward to getting out on it this week and the summer and getting some miles under the belt.

Hey y'all, new guy here from Western NC. Currently riding a 91 1100 with aaaallllmmmoooosttt 100k, but looking to upgrade to a 1300 here soon.

Hi All,

New guy from Miami, I ride a 1300 with 60K miles!
I just recorded my last ride with a couple of friends and I'll post as soon as I find time to edit it.

Cheers!

Thank you for the welcome. Just picked up a nice 03 ST1300 from Aniwack and look forward to many trips by his house to visit relatives just a bit further south, and some more that are east.

New member from Virginia, near to DC. Haven't ridden last 5 years after my accident. Coming off Triumph Bonneville, always wanted to try ST1300. But didnot have the courage as I felt it was heavy and will be difficult to manage (spares, repairs etc).
Of late I feel something missing in life. Decided to go back to riding. And mostly want to start with st1300. What kept me away from owning a motorcycle is that I donot have a garage and I didnot want to park it on street. Have some questions and that would be for later posts. Need to research into motorcycle gear and rest.

Cheers.

Last edited:
New member from Virginia, near to DC. Haven't ridden last 5 years after my accident. Coming off Triumph Bonneville, always wanted to try ST1300. But didnot have the courage as I felt it was heavy and will be difficult to manage (spares, repairs etc).
Of late I feel something missing in life. Decided to go back to riding. And mostly want to start with st1300. What kept me away from owning a motorcycle is that I donot have a garage and I didnot want to park it on street. Have some questions and that would be for later posts. Need to research into motorcycle gear and rest.

Cheers.
Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your ST13.

Thank you. I am yet to buy ST1300.

Hopefully you'll be able to get you one. I don't know your particular situation, but the ST13 is not the lightest bike in the stall for sure. Excellent motorcycle, just not a < ~500# motorcycle.

Hi guys,

New rider from Northumberland (England) with aspirations of touring in Europe once restrictions lift up.

My Yamaha got stolen recently and I've decided my next bike will be an ST. I'm not very mechanic savvy (work in healthcare) but I'll be posting here with what I find and for advice.
Cheers,
D

Making first post, to get back in.
Not "new first time," but must have let my login lapse.
Was dustym828 before.
Been on 2004 ST since 2009.
This forum is the best, esp for all the tech help, but also the friendly environment.

Hey gang, just picked up a Red 96 st 1100 today with 33k miles on her. She has a bald front tire, and a weak battery, but i will get that stuff sorted out asap! All and all it’s a pretty clean bike, runs well, previous owner just didn’t have time to ride it with 2 other bikes in the garage. I paid 2k for her, hope she treats me well!

Attachments

• E62833D4-DBA8-4C67-931C-1AB49E8F5F0A.png
    E62833D4-DBA8-4C67-931C-1AB49E8F5F0A.png
    700.2 KB · Views: 12
<Heavy Sigh> My medical issues are slowing me down. STerling isn't getting the attention she deserves. Still fighting medical issues with the Red Wire Bypass. High beam issue was all cockpit error so that's sorted.

Excess heat is limiting my garage time, in addition to fatigue and malaise.

In the meantime, glad to see new folks still landing on this thread. Here's a couple pre-Set Catt Family photos from 1991.

Attachments

• IMG_6061.JPG
    IMG_6061.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6060.JPG
    IMG_6060.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 19
Hey Ya'll. I have always found myself curious about these large fully faired bikes and I just found myself buying a 1991 ST1100 with a lot of Miles 121,000 and a missing wheel cover, but some recent work done to it (new seat, new tires, touched up paint). It was only $1100 and runs fairly well although the past owners only had it for 1,500 miles and had no idea if the timing belt had been done previously. So far I'm having a blast and have found the ST to be way more nimble than I thought it would be and great for two up riding. I'm going to run a few tanks of seafoam and give it an oil change to make sure it's happy and we'll see about any timing belt etc.. type things in the winter.

Attachments

• 20210630_194932.jpg
    20210630_194932.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: jrp
Back
Top Bottom