Welcome to all the recent newbies

Hi everyone, I have had a 2005 ST1300 for the last 3 years, with about 70k km on the clock, and it’s been an experience. I love it so far, but I’m looking to get some electrical stuff done ahead of my first big run next year once the provincial borders open up. This seems to be the place the search engines point, so here I am.

Reactions: jrp
Wiring in gps/charging, heated grips(eventually) and fixing a powerlet that the PO installed direct to battery. I don’t want to pay new battery idiot tax again if i forget to hook it to the charger.

Hello all. I have recently acquired a new to me 1993 ST1100. I am super excited to ride around on a more comfortable ride for long distance.(just got rid of a Kawasaki ZX10) The ST1100 is in somewhat rough shape, mostly just a little plastic damage here and there. However that's nothing I didn't already plan on addressing, as that's half the joy of having motorcycle is fixing. With that being said, apparently these bikes have a common issue where the alternator goes out.... I cant seem to find any real write up on the replacement/upgrade..... I was looking towards the member named freeSTyle, but cant find out how to pm him.... any help would be great, or if anyone has the 28 amp available. Thanks in advance.

Eeeeek, a Troll. @Troll

Seriously though, welcome to the forum!

There's lots of write ups, how tos, videos etc on upgrading the stock alternator vs just replacing it.

Just click on @freeSTyle and then "start conversation"

Lol. I had that nickname for 30 years now.... way before internet trolls. Lol. I dont plan on running extra lights or heated gear, so I wonder if the gain is better for me for the amount of work. Also I'm not exactly sure how to tell if I have the 28 amp vs the 40 amp.... I have had the bike only for about 18 hours....

Reactions: Obo
Hey Ya'll. I have always found myself curious about these large fully faired bikes and I just found myself buying a 1991 ST1100 with a lot of Miles 121,000 and a missing wheel cover, but some recent work done to it (new seat, new tires, touched up paint). It was only $1100 and runs fairly well although the past owners only had it for 1,500 miles and had no idea if the timing belt had been done previously. So far I'm having a blast and have found the ST to be way more nimble than I thought it would be and great for two up riding. I'm going to run a few tanks of seafoam and give it an oil change to make sure it's happy and we'll see about any timing belt etc.. type things in the winter.

Just ordered a Gates T325 timing belt from Amazon for my 2000 ST, $48. Sterling is low miles but 21 years old. I'll do the belt along with other maintenance items in the fall.

Returning after being gone several years. Haven't ridden in several years and I'm now trying to clean out the garage. For Sale posts forthcoming.

Jon
Middle Tennessee

Hello everyone, just joining the forum. Yesterday I went to look at a 2002 registered 1100, non ABS model in lovely metallic blue. One owner, very low miles and in excellent order so I bought it. I have owned a couple of Pan’s in the dim and distant past so know what they are like. Some of you might think I am nuts when I tell you I actually just got rid of my 2021 Goldwing 6sp to get the Pan. As nice as the GW was if you take all the (arguably unnecessary) gadgets and stuff out of the equation and just compare it bike for bike ridden at normal and sensible 60 mph ish speeds the differences are not as great as you might think. In other respects the Pan wins hands down. Ease of maintenance, spares prices, simplicity, comfort, bullet proof-ness.

Take a genuine 6-8 hours owners take just to change out the GW air filter, I kid you not. Pig of a job. There‘s a great forum to help with stuff and there are lots of happy owners but quite a number that have had warranty issues on brand new bikes too (myself included). So it’s not all rosy and of course they are hellish expensive. I couldn’t seem to bond with it TBH and kept thinking there’s so much to go wrong on this bike, so much. I managed to sell/offload it for a decent price and although I lost money not as much as I would by hanging onto it in the longer term. Sometimes less is more.

Anyhow, for now, lots to re-fresh on Pans and I liked the article on the buyers guide too.

Hello everyone, just joining the forum. Yesterday I went to look at a 2002 registered 1100, non ABS model in lovely metallic blue. One owner, very low miles and in excellent order so I bought it. I have owned a couple of Pan’s in the dim and distant past so know what they are like. Some of you might think I am nuts when I tell you I actually just got rid of my 2021 Goldwing 6sp to get the Pan. As nice as the GW was if you take all the (arguably unnecessary) gadgets and stuff out of the equation and just compare it bike for bike ridden at normal and sensible 60 mph ish speeds the differences are not as great as you might think. In other respects the Pan wins hands down. Ease of maintenance, spares prices, simplicity, comfort, bullet proof-ness.

Take a genuine 6-8 hours owners take just to change out the GW air filter, I kid you not. Pig of a job. There‘s a great forum to help with stuff and there are lots of happy owners but quite a number that have had warranty issues on brand new bikes too (myself included). So it’s not all rosy and of course they are hellish expensive. I couldn’t seem to bond with it TBH and kept thinking there’s so much to go wrong on this bike, so much. I managed to sell/offload it for a decent price and although I lost money not as much as I would by hanging onto it in the longer term. Sometimes less is more.

Anyhow, for now, lots to re-fresh on Pans and I liked the article on the buyers guide too.

Welcome back. I'm in the same vein, tho my new one is an NC700X DCT. Luv the DCT, but not much else. My recently acquired 2000 ST ABS will be with me for a long time.

Greetings to all. New member. Literally picked up [hours ago] a 1991 ST1100. Sat for years so I found out it needed a fuel pump. Owner just took it all apart and never fixed it. So I guess I'll be asking where do I go from here? Tank is rusty as is the fuel pump. Any chance of dipping it in something and unfreeze it from the rust? I need a spotter to get it off the truck so no photos yet. Need to wash the dust off. Will be searching for common problems.

Welcome Pumper,

You will find many articles in the st1100 tech section about using a Quantum replacement pump and fuel regulator vs an OEM pump... <$100 vs $500-ish (if you can find one). Set mine up that way over a year ago and been trouble free since. As you probably have seen, there are so many willing resources for help on these pages, it is astounding!

Good luck!

Odie1

New here. Long time rider. Just picked up my 2009 ST1300PA on Thursday. Traded in my bought new 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900. I really hate to admit this, but I couldn't help feeling like I got the better end of the bargain the entire rain soaked ride home...

I'm not new to ST-O (I was a Moderator for several years back in the day), but haven't been around for 7 or so years working on back issues.

After 3 back surgeries, and a spine stimulator implant, I'm finally able to ride again. I've moved away from long distance and IBA riding, which I can't do anymore, to just local riding. I've moved on from my 09 Kawasaki Concours 14 to a 21 HD Street Glide Special, a nice comfy BarcaBagger.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas... and Mellow, do you still have the Tenere, or did you move back to a Wing? :rofl1:

Back
Top Bottom