What do u do for work?

Bike
ST1100 02 Blue
Well, I'll share something with y'all that it took me WAY-Y-Y too long to figger out:

It doesn't require age to retire. It only requires money.

Now, whether that means a lot of it, or a little of it, depends mostly on you. (Tip: it will in all probability, take more than you think.)

In all serious-ity, I pray that those younger than me, can take advantage of this little bit of wisdom.
Sadlsor, You are SO right with this.
14 yrs ago we worked out that we could stop work and "survive" on our savings until the pension age came around. We changed country ,UK to France, and lived very carefully [frugally] . Have to say ,despite some of life's dramas getting in the way , haven't regretted our decision ; ever.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I spent over 50 years (1970 to 2021) in computer field(s) From 1985 to Feb 5, 2021, I was a Software Configuration Management Engineer....at various levels.

On Feb 5, 2021, I was informed I was retiring.

So, I'm now retired, and Chris and I are trying our best to get used to living off of about 1/3 of what we were living off of.

At least this move to Utah was the best move we could have made, not knowing we would be retiring... :think1:

LadyEJ

Site Supporter
I've been in the IT career field working various positions for various companies and organizations during the past 35 yrs.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've been a Maintenace Analyst for 27 years and been in the Mechanical Maintenace field since 1980.
Now the company has just said they don't want to fund our Defined Benifits pension plan anymore.
Early Retirement is near.

It's called a "wind up" and there giving me now an annuity or a lump sum of money. :think1:

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I am always suspicious of lump sum offers! But (there is always a but!) for some they prove advantageous.
Me too!
This is just an eye opener for everyone with a defined benefit pension.
I thought it was guaranteed for life, but little did I know the company can do whatever they want to do.
Remove your DB pension from you and set you up with a annuity from a life insurance company
Oh yes they can, ask people, from GE or GM.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Well, I'm still a mainframe guy. I currently work on all the major OS's across 2 states, and a DR site... z/OS, z/VM and z/VSE. I also worked 5 years in Storage and Virtualization; VMware/vSphere, AWS, Pure, EMC, Cohesity, NetApp, Brocade, and Solarwinds.

I'm just an IT Jack of all trades at this point.

Last edited:

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I work/help run (probably more work) at the family's campground. My parents and grandparents bought the place back in 1984 and I was part-time for many years till 1996. Then I came in full time and now my brother and I are in the process of taking over. During my part time years I was a Vending Machine Repairman. What fun. It gave me many different skills though, because in vending you'll find all the basics. Electrics, electronics, plumbing, refrigeration, and good ol' fashion mechanical stuff. Now I'm an RVIA certified RV Technician......shh...don't tell anyone.
You should mention the name of the campground. We Bostoneers might need a place to camp!

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
You should mention the name of the campground. We Bostoneers might need a place to camp!
He hasn't been on since 2018... IDK if he's still running the place.

GG is a great guy!

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Can finally say it…unemployed…temporarily right now- in between jobs. Off since 12/1, and I’m liking it (won’t be credentailed in the new job until early January)…a lot! I could do retirement if pushed into it (if not for the healthcare and 401K, I’d probably do it)!

I work for customer service of well known Canada Drugs. I've been doing this job for a while now and not going to change anything in the nearest future. I am happy to finally achieve a good work-personal life balance and think it is worth a lot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom