New Sport Touring Suzuki GSX-S1000GT

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
It's Chain Drive - Bah, Humbug! ;)
I don't think anybody else has mentioned that I don't see any sign of a centerstand. The way the exhaust is routed under the engine I'm not sure its going to have one. I toured for quite a few years on an FZR1000 with no centerstand, I had a piece of 1" PVC that was cut so that I could lift the rear wheel off the ground by levering it onto the sidestand and put the PVC under the ample swingarm to support the load while doing chain lubrication (or adjustment for that matter). I'd need to get a closer look at the swingarm detail to see if that would even be an option with this bike.

I like the idea, but I have a feeling this is going to be yet another case of close, but not quite what I want.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
A proper rear rack would be nice... and please, tie down locations! We carry stuff! And a couple power ports and a cell charger... we power stuff!

I really like another option in the segment. Keeping everyone on their toes and innovating.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
With the advent of O-ring and X-ring chains, is a shaft drive that much of an advantage on a touring bike anymore? I see people in hotel parking lots obsessing over getting every last little bug off the bike every night. Would spending a couple of minutes on chain inspection/service be such a big deal? I don't want to open the can of worms that is chain cleaning/maintenance except to say that it is not a big deal anymore.
I have both shaft and chain drive bikes. Personally, I wouldn't let one or the other keep me from owning a bike that fits my needs.

Be interesting to see pricing of the Suzuki when it gets here.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Bike looks way more sport than touring, saddlebags small and placed very high on the bike, looks like there's no center stand, which will make chain maintenance a pain on the road.

I'm really liking my 500 lb Tracer GT, only thing I don't care for is the saddlebag position and the double jointed hip I need (but don't have) to swing a leg over these bags, especially at the end of a long riding day. I have a case of OGS (Older Guy Syndrome) which, I understand, gets worse as you age.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've done an 1100 mile ride on my tracer, no problem at all...light and quick and the Corbin seat is better than I ever expected. Chains are no big deal, Chains and sprockets don't really wear as much as some assume especially when you aren't on a dirt bike and I only spray it at the end of the day, more for cleaning than lubing. It may just be the perfect bike for me. Not as much wind protection so you need to be more prepared for the cold.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
how about replacing those tac- lights with some real headlights then there is that issue of gas, how much does it hold
5.0 US

Besides the engine based on the high rpm liter bike GSX-R motor, what does this entry bring that the Bandit FA did not?

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
It's definitely on the sport side of sport touring, but they tout the upright riding position and have made many changes compared to the previous GSXS1000F and new GSXS1000 (naked) version. New rear subframe for added weight and 2-up. Paniers hold full face helmet. It comes with cruise control and heated grips. Holds 19 liters (5 US gallons) of fuel. I think it will be well capable of touring. I believe they're targeting the Ninja 1000 and Tracer GT more than STs, FJRs, and Concours.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Still, not too insect-y looking for a new bike, so there's that.
Funny, my first impression was it's design was influenced by bugs. And it is 'edgy'.

I too prefer shaft drive, but adding an automatic chain oiler takes much of the hassle of spraying the chain away.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I too prefer shaft drive, but adding an automatic chain oiler takes much of the hassle of spraying the chain away.
I was an early adopter of the Scott Oiler, and there are alternatives available now, though I've never used another.
I'll confess, though, I'm still more comfortable replacing chains and sprockets than disassembling anybody's shaft drive.

Bike
2005 st1300
I have been doing a lot of research on a possible new bike in my future and one of the main differentiators between sport and touring is the engine power band. The one bike that I am leaning toward is claimed to be a capable touring bike by many owners, with an engine that is derived from a superbike, albeit detuned. While I don't hear many complaints, it is sometimes noted that the engine borders on being high strung and some wish it had more grunt down low for touring. With the engines heritage in this Suzuki, it may be a common concern with this bike as well, when trying to find its place in the market. Like some have said, bar risers and panniers don't make a touring bike...:twocents1:

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Boy, I hope some of you are never on my jury... guilty until proven innocent based upon my looks and my cousin's hooligan history! ;)

From what I've actually read, it seems that the bike has been designed as a tourer, at least according to Suzuki.. Some things that stuck out to me...
  • 6 speed, 150 HP
  • 5 gallon fuel tank (wish it were more)
  • 46 mpg
  • CC, heated grips
  • ABS/TC
  • Quickshifter
  • 36L panniers that hold a helmet
  • LEDs all around
  • 500 lbs
  • Smartphone integration
  • 6.5" TFT display
  • "reasonable sport touring riding position "
  • "powered by a street tuned version of the GSX-R sportbike’s 999cc, in-line four-cylinder engine, which has been updated with a revised intake and exhaust camshafts, cam chain tensioners, valve springs, and redesigned clutch and gearshift components. Suzuki says the enhancements deliver a broader, more consistent torque curve while meeting Euro 5 emissions compliance standards."
I'll have to admit the windscreen looks like it won't do much, but Suzuki says they did a lot of wind tunnel testing, so it is what it is. They'll offer a larger version. I've never owned a Suzuki, but overall, I think it sounds pretty good and look forward to some actual rider reviews.

Bike
VStrom 650
only 5 gallons, i need a rack to put my fuel cell on and somewhere to add some extra driving lights
Boy, I hope some of you are never on my jury... guilty until proven innocent based upon my looks and my cousin's hooligan history! ;)

From what I've actually read, it seems that the bike has been designed as a tourer, at least according to Suzuki.. Some things that stuck out to me...
  • 6 speed, 150 HP
  • 5 gallon fuel tank (wish it were more)
  • 46 mpg
  • CC, heated grips
  • ABS/TC
  • Quickshifter
  • 36L panniers that hold a helmet
  • LEDs all around
  • 500 lbs
  • Smartphone integration
  • 6.5" TFT display
  • "reasonable sport touring riding position "
  • "powered by a street tuned version of the GSX-R sportbike’s 999cc, in-line four-cylinder engine, which has been updated with a revised intake and exhaust camshafts, cam chain tensioners, valve springs, and redesigned clutch and gearshift components. Suzuki says the enhancements deliver a broader, more consistent torque curve while meeting Euro 5 emissions compliance standards."
I'll have to admit the windscreen looks like it won't do much, but Suzuki says they did a lot of wind tunnel testing, so it is what it is. They'll offer a larger version. I've never owned a Suzuki, but overall, I think it sounds pretty good and look forward to some actual rider reviews.
So exactly the same fuel capacity as a GL1000 and probably better economy and Suzuki should try harder?
I can't remember GL1000 riders saying it wasn't a tourer? But maybe they did.
Paul, I'm with you, they're (Suzuki, also MG with the new 1000 and maybe Honda with the new Africa Twin cloned Sports Tourer) trying at least and the world's moved on since 1990, in some places anyway.
My only gripe would be pillion comfort although that probably could be addressed.
Upt'North.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
The absence of a centerstand, as noted already,, ESPECIALLY on a chain-driven bike, is sinful.
Sure, I get why.
Cost and weight savings, perchance encouragement to visit the dealer for service. Which brings us back to... cost.

Top Bottom