OP
paulcb

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
The absence of a centerstand, as noted already,, ESPECIALLY on a chain-driven bike, is sinful.
Sure, I get why.
Cost and weight savings, perchance encouragement to visit the dealer for service. Which brings us back to... cost.
Agreed, that would be a huge miss. Will wait and see if it truly doesn't have one.

Bike
2005 st1300
Boy, I hope some of you are never on my jury... guilty until proven innocent based upon my looks and my cousin's hooligan history! ;)

From what I've actually read, it seems that the bike has been designed as a tourer, at least according to Suzuki.. Some things that stuck out to me...
  • 6 speed, 150 HP
  • 5 gallon fuel tank (wish it were more)
  • 46 mpg
  • CC, heated grips
  • ABS/TC
  • Quickshifter
  • 36L panniers that hold a helmet
  • LEDs all around
  • 500 lbs
  • Smartphone integration
  • 6.5" TFT display
  • "reasonable sport touring riding position "
  • "powered by a street tuned version of the GSX-R sportbike’s 999cc, in-line four-cylinder engine, which has been updated with a revised intake and exhaust camshafts, cam chain tensioners, valve springs, and redesigned clutch and gearshift components. Suzuki says the enhancements deliver a broader, more consistent torque curve while meeting Euro 5 emissions compliance standards."
I'll have to admit the windscreen looks like it won't do much, but Suzuki says they did a lot of wind tunnel testing, so it is what it is. They'll offer a larger version. I've never owned a Suzuki, but overall, I think it sounds pretty good and look forward to some actual rider reviews.
I hope you are never in need of a jury ;)

Bike
2022 BMW RT 1250
... Chains are no big deal, Chains and sprockets don't really wear as much as some assume especially when you aren't on a dirt bike and I only spray it at the end of the day, more for cleaning than lubing...
I dislike having to clean and lube the chain on my dual-sport. As I look at newer sport-touring bikes, I had pretty much dismissed anything without a shaft drive. That really cuts down on any choice. I'm curious as to your cleaning/lubing procedure. What product are you using 'at the end of the day'? Every day ? Do you have an 'O-ring' type chain?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I dislike having to clean and lube the chain on my dual-sport. As I look at newer sport-touring bikes, I had pretty much dismissed anything without a shaft drive. That really cuts down on any choice. I'm curious as to your cleaning/lubing procedure. What product are you using 'at the end of the day'? Every day ? Do you have an 'O-ring' type chain?
X ring chain and I use PJ1 lube.

I will spray the chain and then use a small rag to wipe off any dust.. that's it.. I hate chain oilers.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Chain lube.
The "oil thread" and "tire thread" of non-shaft drive motorcycle forums.
Oh, while I'm thinking about it -- what's the best moly paste for my final drive?
(Ducking for incoming missiles.)

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I“m looking really hard at this. I’ve always been a “tweener” with the st1300 on one side and the beloved vfr800 I took cross country on the other. The VFR1200X wasn’t the answer, although I rode it to SD and back.

This might be it, and it looks good with and without the hard bags.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
The brighter looking blue looks nice!

The missing center stand is a large negative for me. But when they add the knick knacks everyone has mentioned, we would be looking at a $18-20 K bike.

According to the linked site the fuel capacity is 4.5 not 5 gal. That half gal. could come in handy some day. I'd probably be looking for an aux. gas (3-4gal.) carrying method. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Seating position is more sport than touring...
My first thought.

A set of bags and handlebar risers do not make a sport bike a sport tourer. There will be some riders happy to tour on it I’m sure, like those that toured on Hayabusas and Blackbirds.
My second thought. +1 on both counts. It seems to me more sport than touring and far from being a gran tourer. To me eye its an s-i — sport-insect. Still props for making a bike with factory hard luggage.

But for me it's got to be shaft drive for a touring bike even if it's billed as an s-t. Or maybe even belt drive. I am biased though as if there's another or second bike in my future it has to be chain-less.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
A center stand in hardly a knick knack. No way should you have to spend $18-20K to get one. If you were buying some repli-racer it might be expected not to have one. But this is a street bike. Though a dealer would probably be happy to sell swing arm stands.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
My 18-20 K number reflected the add-ons the guys mentioned-adjustable windshield, center stand, bigger gas tank, shaft drive, belt drive, rear rack, single-sided swing arm, power ports, cell phone charger, real head lights, tie downs, saddle bags big enough to hold full face helmet, automatic chain oiler, driving lights, etc.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
According to the linked site the fuel capacity is 4.5 not 5 gal. That half gal. could come in handy some day. I'd probably be looking for an aux. gas (3-4gal.) carrying method. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I saw that but Suzuki's site states 5 gallons...

The new GSX-S1000GT+’s fuel tank increases capacity up to 19 L (5.0 US Gal.) to reduce the frequency of gas stops while touring or commuting.
  • Prior GSX-S1000F fuel tank capacity was 17.0 L (4.5 US gal.).

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
The brighter looking blue looks nice!

The missing center stand is a large negative for me. But when they add the knick knacks everyone has mentioned, we would be looking at a $18-20 K bike.

The fuel capacity discrepancy is due to the bike being announced in the UK, so it's 4.6 imperial gallons and 5.0 US gallons.

My second bike is a 2017 Suzuki SV650 which I use for touring. Mainly 4-5 day trips (like STOCs) but not longer trips like cross country. You get used to living with a chain and no center stand using a paddock stand at home for maintenance. As others have said, there are options like chain oilers or portable stands to get the rear tire off the ground to lube the chain if you wanted to go longer distances. I may consider trading the SV in on one of these. My ST isn't worth enough to get rid of ;)

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Isn't a center stand offered by Suzuki, at an additional cost?
I thought you could order one, they're just not standard equipment.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Isn't a center stand offered by Suzuki, at an additional cost?
I thought you could order one, they're just not standard equipment.
That seems to be the question on the table. I looked on their site, and saw no mention of it for this particular bike.

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
Any idea what the alternator out put is? two up touring with electric jackets, pants, gloves will require a hefty amount of wattage.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Any idea what the alternator out put is? two up touring with electric jackets, pants, gloves will require a hefty amount of wattage.
On the new GW? I just read the GW1800 is 90-100 amps, so would expect the new GW to be at least equivalent, but I don't know much about GWs.

Top Bottom