Rabaconda Tire Changer

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I attempted to find photo(s) of my home-made changer (been changing tires myself on all my bikes), but can't find the photo now.
In fact, I remember seeing your 2x4 picture in your garage. (But I'm much too lazy to look for it.)
It's stupid-simple and effective.
Please NOTE: To be absolutely clear, I am NOT calling you stupid. :biggrin:

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
Think there is a Utube showing something like that, guy levers one end of his 2x4 under his pickup hitch or bumper, something like that

Think there is a Utube showing something like that, guy levers one end of his 2x4 under his pickup hitch or bumper, something like that
Yea, there's a plethora of YouTube vids breaking a bead with 2x4 and a vehicle ...

I've also been known to break a bead, by strategically placing the tire under my Wrangler, then using a bottle-jack between the frame of Jeep and tire - plunger at frame, base of jack at bead/rim, then pump the jack - seconds later, bead popped.

Same principle as this:

Rabaconda tire change in under 2 minutes. (But it's not an ST or street bike...)

KTM 790 tire change
I wouldn't necessarily say that video is showing favouritism to Rabaconda, because the guy spent much of the time using spoons. And he only used the machine's bead breaker portion (same as any other bread breaker).

And as you wrote, that's a dirt bike front tire, and soft tires, so simple simon to change.

If you scroll down on that same page, you'll see a guy removing a Dunlop AE tire (for a Gold Wing rear wheel), then installing a Dunlop SportMax, both notorious for having stiff sidewalls. That's a better demo. Took him 6 times longer :)

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I wouldn't necessarily say that video is showing favouritism to Rabaconda, because the guy spent much of the time using spoons. And he only used the machine's bead breaker portion (same as any other bread breaker).

And as you wrote, that's a dirt bike front tire, and soft tires, so simple simon to change.

If you scroll down on that same page, you'll see a guy removing a Dunlop AE tire (for a Gold Wing rear wheel), then installing a Dunlop SportMax, both notorious for having stiff sidewalls. That's a better demo. Took him 6 times longer :)
That is the same Rabaconda changer I have. It is much more than just a bead breaker and I can change very stiff sidewall tires with it. I got it because I use some pretty stiff tires on the rear of my Africa Twin. (Dunlop Trailmax Missions) I still sometimes use tire levers with it for some final pushes but it does most of the work if you use it right. Overall I am very happy with it and it breaks down into a bag.

That is the same Rabaconda changer I have. It is much more than just a bead breaker and I can change very stiff sidewall tires with it. I got it because I use some pretty stiff tires on the rear of my Africa Twin. (Dunlop Trailmax Missions) I still sometimes use tire levers with it for some final pushes but it does most of the work if you use it right. Overall I am very happy with it and it breaks down into a bag.
Yea, I'm not downplaying Rabaconda's potential, but only in that particular scenario (video), the advantages aren't apparent ...

Check the Gold Wing video for a stark contrast :thumb:

EDIT: there's also a video showing the changer's use on a rear wheel Africa Twin with tube

Last edited:

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I just saw this thread now- it reminds me a lot of the Olmaxmotors changer I currently have- I’d say the main advantage is the ratcheting tire installer vs me walking around the tire changer mounted/bolted to the garage floor (I use 1 x 1” wood planks and have drop in anchors to the concrete floor of the garage to affix the changer to the floor and it works fine that way).

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Pretty similar effort I've had to apply for Battleaxe tires.. only on the no mar I run out of room so the ratchet, along with the wheel not being clamped down, lets you reset pretty easy vs the no mar which I would have to start over. But, definitely just as much cussing regardless of which changer you use - minus the hydraulic/electric ones.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Last night on my way home from Winnipeg I dropped into Princess Auto and bought a motorcycle tire changer, and from Amazon I acquired the duckbill. I will be doing a hack to facilitate the use of the duckbill with this changer. Fingers crossed this will do the job. ;)

Attachments

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Last night on my way home from Winnipeg I dropped into Princess Auto and bought a motorcycle tire changer, and from Amazon I acquired the duckbill. I will be doing a hack to facilitate the use of the duckbill with this changer. Fingers crossed this will do the job. ;)
I will have to bring my tires to Stratford to change.

You are returning from Winnipeg, did you participate in the kilt skate?

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I bought a manual tire changer at Princess Auto also, but for car/atv tires. Those red duck bills work really well. I bought some square tubing and had some guys at work weld them for me. Changing tires is so easy now.
I've been wanting to make another adapter for motorcycle tires someday too. Let us know how that motorcycle tire changer works for you.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I bought a manual tire changer at Princess Auto also, but for car/atv tires. Those red duck bills work really well. I bought some square tubing and had some guys at work weld them for me. Changing tires is so easy now.
I've been wanting to make another adapter for motorcycle tires someday too. Let us know how that motorcycle tire changer works for you.
I’m using steel pipe with galvanized fittings. Trying not to weld anything. I just have to devise a coupler so that I can do both horizontal and vertical adjustments for the duckbill attachment.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
There’s a Nomar Classic for sale on Adventure Riders for $400, Ickes up in the Dallas/FW area. Includes both, floor and hitch mounts.

John

Top Bottom