What would you replace the ST1300 with?

... and I find it a bit odd that you (and all the other "I'm happy staying with the Honda ST" replies) found it necessary to reply given the thread title. :rofl1:

Tom
I like my ST quite a lot, but it SUX at dual sporting and true ADV riding, hence the upcoming GSA.
Who am I kidding?
I've never even tried the ST offroad.

Last edited:
This is so true in so many cases. The rationalization process is more about convincing ones self that we have made the right decision, not convincing others.
Humans have an incredible ability to rationalize our decisions until they meet our emotional needs, regardless of what the reality is.

There are many for whom this is not the case however. For many, the decision is not a matter of having the money or the willingness to spend it. Some people just prefer a particular model of motorcycle, or they are completely happy with the motorcycle that they have and there is not even enough desire for a new motorcycle to even ignite the fuse to go and look let alone buy. @Uncle Phil strikes me as being in this category. If he came in to a stupid amount of money tomorrow, I would not be surprised to see that he is still riding an ST1100 on this day next year.
You got that right - I just happen to love ST1100s - not as much as dark chocolate, but pretty close! :biggrin:

And if I did come into a stupid amount of money, I could build a whole new facility for my ST1100s and buy some more ST1100s! ;)

Last edited:
So I had this same conversation with myself over 10 years ago. What will I do when I need a newer bike in the far future ???
I realized that it was the end of the line for the ST1300. I looked at all the other options...
So I bought a new, old stock, 2012, rode it on a 3,000 mile trip to Colorado and back.
I then shoved it in the back of the garage where it now sits covered for a few more years till the 06 turns 200+k.
I will refurbish the 06 and she will become second fiddle to the dusty 12, which should take me into the next decade or more....
I have been looking at 500-800cc bikes and e-bikes for a third lighter bike but I have not needed to make that move yet.
I too have ridden many other bikes. The two hours a day that I spend on the ST1300 is the best part of my day.

Last edited:
Hm. There've been a number of bikes that I'd like to own in addition to the ST. The one bike that I'd like to have and a replacement for the ST1300 isn't made any more — the VF1100S Sabre.

So if I were to consider something instead of an s-t type it would something smaller and lighter. I'm just getting too old to be pushing around the likes of a ST.

A day trip is about all I'd want out of a bike so the 1300 is overkill for me. Belt or shaft drive. Maybe around 600cc - 800cc so I could jump on the freeway for a bit. Maybe a scooter maybe a UJM. No current offering from anybody jumps out at me for a One and Only.

Ideally it would be a Honda because all of my bikes save one have been Hondas and they've all been very reliable. There was a couple of M-Gs that I like but support isn't all that great and my confidence in their reliability is quite low.

If I'm going to keep the ST for any length of time I'll need a gym membership. :D

Hm. There've been a number of bikes that I'd like to own in addition to the ST. The one bike that I'd like to have and a replacement for the ST1300 isn't made any more — the VF1100S Sabre.

So if I were to consider something instead of an s-t type it would something smaller and lighter. I'm just getting too old to be pushing around the likes of a ST.

A day trip is about all I'd want out of a bike so the 1300 is overkill for me. Belt or shaft drive. Maybe around 600cc - 800cc so I could jump on the freeway for a bit. Maybe a scooter maybe a UJM. No current offering from anybody jumps out at me for a One and Only.

Ideally it would be a Honda because all of my bikes save one have been Hondas and they've all been very reliable. There was a couple of M-Gs that I like but support isn't all that great and my confidence in their reliability is quite low.

If I'm going to keep the ST for any length of time I'll need a gym membership. :D
How about a "CB750ST"?

1680226607081.png 1680226639986.png

If I still had a ST1300, for a replacement I'd be looking at (after it had a year or 2 in production):

https://www.motorcycle.com/manufact...-guzzi-v100-mandello-s-review-first-ride.html :thumb:

52782500761_7415822475_c.jpg

But I still keep going back to look at the Kawasaki Versys 1000... :rofl1:

Last edited:
If I still had a ST1300, for a replacement I'd be looking at (after it had a year or 2 in production):

https://www.motorcycle.com/manufact...-guzzi-v100-mandello-s-review-first-ride.html :thumb:

52782500761_7415822475_c.jpg

But I still keep going back to look at the Kawasaki Versys 1000... :rofl1:
Yeppers, that's the only one out there that stirs my interest at all.
I just don't like the green one - I think the red one is much prettier.
I took a serious look at the Motus but I didn't figure they were going to make it - and unfortunately they didn't.

It's too bad Triumph didn't keep going with the Trophy... It was a strong under the radar option in the past, not sure why as it had a lot of great features...

For me a newer ST with lower mileage would be good. My 1997 is nearing 190K km and still running great. I've never owned a new bike and could never justify that cost based on the reduced use due to winters in Canada.

I would consider a smaller displacement in the 600 to 800cc range, but still want the protection of a fairing and some hard luggage. Any replacement would also require shaft drive because I don't want to mess with a chain. I'm not sure if there is a bike on the market that fulfills these wants. The closest was the NT700V, but that's discontinued and was never available in Canada.

Not sure about anything that is available, need wind protection, (spoiled by electric windshield!) need shaft drive (Hate to adjust / replace chain or belt) wife has to be comfortable for all day ride, have to have substantial luggage, needs to be about 200 lbs lighter, seat height needs to be about 2 or 3 inches lower. OH NO! I might need a cruiser! :eek: AAARRRGGGG!

Yeah Phil I often think about that. I know that on a long trip if something happens and I cannot find a dealer and parts it's going to be expensive to rent a truck and trailer to haul it back home. Then having my mechanic tell me it's going to take big coin to fix it or their are no more parts.

There are two ways to deal with that. Pay for roadside assistance and towing, make sure its a plan that has good coverage. I drive older vehicles, and I have never needed it, but I have it. I wouldn't hesitate to take any of them on a long trip. Well maintained, its not an issue. That said, if I was Uncle Phil, I'm not sure I would have bothered renting the truck and bringing the bike back when the timing belt failed. I'm not emotionally attached to vehicles. I probably would have left it with a junkyard, mechanic, etc. and mailed them the title. Given that ST1100's are cheap and plentiful, it may not have been worthwhile to bother. Go get another. Whatever the cost of retrieval, that's the "downpayment" of the new machine. You can only do this with old vehicles that have "no value" in the marketplace. I have no idea what UP spent to retrieve and repair his bike, and I know why he did it. But it wasn't the only option.

I find it interesting that the viewpoint of keeping what you have, and defending the keeping of the ST is seen as odd. The OP appears to be asking himself exactly that. If I had to buy a bike tomorrow, I'd pickup a nice ST1100. Cheap, common and capable. Oh! I already own one! I'm all set then. I like the FJR, and BMW F800GT, but likely price would put me back at the 1100.

That said, if I was Uncle Phil, I'm not sure I would have bothered renting the truck and bringing the bike back when the timing belt failed. I'm not emotionally attached to vehicles.
Really simple reasoning (not a lot of emotion attached to it) - I had to get 'me' back home somehow (one way flights from there were horribly expensive and so was getting to the faraway airport), the bike was in excellent shape other than the engine (great bodywork, new suspension, new tires, a ton of farkles including MC electronic cruise control and very rare ST1100 topbox, etc.) and I knew I had an engine at home with only 40,000 miles on it so all I would be out is some time to fix it. Besides, trying to get rid of an 'out of country' motorcycle is a lot more complicated than meets the eye. And now I still have her and she runs like a brand new one and the cost of getting her home was not much more than to get just 'me' home (truck rental was strangely cheap). :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom