What would you replace the ST1300 with?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If I decided that I didn't need an ST1300-type bike maybe a Navi would be a consideration. That's a neat little machine.

Bike
2004 ST 1300
If I decided that I didn't need an ST1300-type bike maybe a Navi would be a consideration. That's a neat little machine.
Love mine. If you can snag one anywhere near MSRP, I can't recommend it enough. We decorated ours and rode 3 up this weekend in our town's 4th of July parade (controlled setting, police blocked, with helmets). My 5 y/o son up front and my wife behind. About 2 hours of one-handed operation while waving to spectators. Otherwise, it is my work daily (2 miles with stop signs and red lights). Yeah, they're slow, Carb'd, and drum brakes, but they're cheap, reliable, full of function and character.

VetteJim

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Well since no one has mentioned a cruiser ...

IMG_2301.JPG

This is my 06 Honda VTX 1300 - love it. It's actually a nice compliment to the ST1300. Two different riding experiences.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
If you are looking for a similar style but newer and with more bells and whistles, the FJR is a great choice. Not only "would I replace my ST" - I did in fact replace by 2007 ST with a 2016 FJR ES. No regrets here as the FJR to me is much more fun to ride. Maintenance is very similar. Weather protection is better on the ST, but my body feels better on longer rides on the FJR. The highlights on the FJR are definitely the smooth and very agile engine, the extra power, and the reliability (which you are used to from the ST). I was initially concerned about the smaller gas tank on the FJR, but I get only 30 miles less range on my FJR due to the better fuel economy, so it never was a problem for me.

Diggers1300

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I would and think I did end up replacing my ST1300 with a new Goldwing.

I'm really surprised that this bike hasn't been referenced more as a replacement for the ST1300 other than a couple casual mentions and one that actually did buy a new GW. Lots of reasons given as to why to REPLACE the ST with something else. Getting older, need less weight, etc. I want to focus on a REPLACEMENT FOR THE BIKE as if there are no more ST's available- none.

Now let me explain my opening statement. I 'would' for reasons I outline below. I 'think I did' because I bought a 2021 Goldwing DCT Tour for the reasons below and don't ride the ST much anymore.

The ST is a fantastic bike. Rock-solid Honda reliability, powerful yet silky-smooth engine, shaft drive, handles great, looks good, comfortable for LD touring, yet sporty enough for the twisties when you get there. And all at about 40 mpg. But let's face it. The ST is a compromise machine, a sport-tourer. There are better sport bikes and better touring bikes out there. Looking at the sport side, the ST has plenty of power and handles well in and out of the curves. Looking at the touring side, it is comfortable, has very good weather protection with its moveable windscreen, and a large fuel tank.

Now look at the new Goldwing. Rock-solid Honda reliability, powerful engine, shaft drive, handles great (yes it does), looks good, comfortable (the seat is the only seat on a bike that I have NOT replaced), very good weather protection with its moveable windscreen and the better fuel mileage than the ST (about 50 mpg even with two more cylinders) offsets the smaller fuel tank. Sounds like all the above boxes are checked. Diving deeper, most of us have added to the ST things that are already integrated on the Wing. Cruise-control, comfortable seat- for me, at least, top-box, fog lights, comms system, audio system, tpms, adjustable suspension, etc. I still added a nav system to the Wing as Honda's Nav System sucks. That sounds like an upgraded version of the ST.

The new Wing is lighter and smaller than previous recent versions. Its size is now on par with the ST but its COG is much lower than the ST. I probably shouldn't say it but I'm going to anyhow. I have NEVER even come close to dropping my Wing. Don't get me wrong. I will eventually drop it - I have no misconceptions there. With the change in the degree of rake and the shorter wheel base because of the wishbone front suspension, the Wing handles extremely well compared to older Wings. I didn't have any problems hanging with the ST riders last year at SnakeSTOC. Don't even get me going on the DCT. It is phenomenal! But that is the subject of another thread.

Of course, as always, YMMV!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I think many haven't talked about the wing as a replacement because they already did it... LOL

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I'm really surprised that this bike hasn't been referenced more as a replacement for the ST1300 other than a couple casual mentions and one that actually did buy a new GW.
Sure it has. That's where the nickname "ST1800" came from.

They even designed Goldwing smilies for them: :cbcgw:

Diggers1300

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I grok. Maybe the average ST rider doesn't see the GW as that great an improvement.

I haven't had the opportunity to ride a GW, nor an ST1300 for that matter. I'd like to.
They are suprisingly very similar riding bikes. (I'll get roasted for that.) But for all the things I liked about the ST and didn't like about the older Wings is why I really really like the new Wing.

Larry, you would be very welcomed to try my Wing if we meet up at some event.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Larry, you would be very welcomed to try my Wing if we meet up at some event.
I appreciate that. We're only 17.25+ hours apart. ;)

I rarely go farther than a day's drive, and usually with the bike on my trailer.

It sucks not having anyone to ride with to and back home from events.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Replacement is already here.
IMG_20230524_141853426_HDR.jpg

650 VStrom.
Does most everything the 1300 will do....in a lighter package. No, it won't do 130.....or make interstates/big roads more tolerable.....but I have taken it places I wouldn't take the ST and on a longer trip than the ST. The ST still has a home here....but the VStrom is getting more miles.

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
I replaced my 2004 ST1300 several years ago with a 2016 BMW R1200RT, then I replaced that with a 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT. Best decision yet. Every bit as nimble as the ST and nearly as the RT.
ST1800 is a good description for the 2018+ Goldwing.

Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
2018+ Gold Wing. I have a 2018 Tour DCT and love it.

I had a 2008 ST-1300 and put 61,000 miles on it in 7 years. But the bike dropped off Honda's production line meaning parts would become harder and harder to find. I know, there are a lot of ST-1100's still out there going strong. But try to replace a cracked mirror or mirror cover on an ST-1100. I didn't want to get caught in that situation with my ST-1300 (yes, I replaced a few mirrors and mirror covers on the '1300).

In 2015 I bought a 2001 Goldwing which while older than the ST was still in production. It was a highway lounge chair. Great bike for soaking up miles. It would handle surprisingly well too but you had to push it. Much heavier than the ST, which I had for 2 years after getting the GW.

Then in late 2019, I bought a 2018 Gold Wing Tour DCT. The DCT is amazing and this latest generation GW is like an ST on steroids. All the tech updates, a lower center of gravity, and the Boxer 6 cylinder engine that pulls like a tractor. If I were buying today I would get a 2021 or newer model to get the larger top box.

JohnConner
:bluegw: :usflag1:

Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
If I was going to replace my 1994 ST1100 with anything, it'd a Yamaha FJR 1300. Fast, smooth, shaft drive. Been around forever, all the bugs have been worked out, and parts are readily available just about anywhere.

926005368s.jpg

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Someone on a forum somewhere said the FJR was being discontinued... I don't see them doing that but then again who knows... The FJR was a top contender when I was looking to get back into a more weather protected bike vs ADV style bikes... however, you do feel it's weight just getting on it. The price point is very attractive but in the end a test ride on an RT sealed the deal for me. A test ride a wing may have also done that but you don't loose any weight on the wing and I wanted a light-ish bike, the prices were about the same for tour/non-tour and the RT and K1600s in typical setups.. obviously both had high-end price points.

I plan on retiring in 6 years and a new bike will be my retirement present so we'll see what's out at that time.. hopefully a shaft drive 100lb hover bike with 1,000 hp and 900 ft lbs of torque... but I don't need a cruise control lol

Top Bottom