What would you replace the ST1300 with?

There are two ways to deal with that. Pay for roadside assistance and towing, make sure its a plan that has good coverage. I drive older vehicles, and I have never needed it, but I have it. I wouldn't hesitate to take any of them on a long trip. Well maintained, its not an issue. That said, if I was Uncle Phil, I'm not sure I would have bothered renting the truck and bringing the bike back when the timing belt failed. I'm not emotionally attached to vehicles. I probably would have left it with a junkyard, mechanic, etc. and mailed them the title. Given that ST1100's are cheap and plentiful, it may not have been worthwhile to bother. Go get another. Whatever the cost of retrieval, that's the "downpayment" of the new machine. You can only do this with old vehicles that have "no value" in the marketplace. I have no idea what UP spent to retrieve and repair his bike, and I know why he did it. But it wasn't the only option.

I find it interesting that the viewpoint of keeping what you have, and defending the keeping of the ST is seen as odd. The OP appears to be asking himself exactly that. If I had to buy a bike tomorrow, I'd pickup a nice ST1100. Cheap, common and capable. Oh! I already own one! I'm all set then. I like the FJR, and BMW F800GT, but likely price would put me back at the 1100.
Well yeah that would be an option to me to just leave it there because no roadside assistance will pay to tow it hundreds of miles back home. I would probably not buy another ST1100 simply because of the age of the vehicle and parts availability. My plan is to ride it into the sunset and then when it can't go any longer to trade it. I think Phil is in a different situation than most of us here. He likes his machines. Have the time and dedication and talent to keep em running. Hat's off to him.

It's all good . ;)

Saul Goodman ... Tom :rofl1:

Tom.
That's a funny video. Thanks. It was a great explanation how we use those two quotes. I haven't been as fortunate as you to have such vast experience on motorcycles. I'm impressed with your oil change list. My brother-in-law used to write oil changes on the wall of his garage. That would be considered wallpaper in your case? Just sa . . . Oops. Did it again.
I see in your list you own (or did own) a couple of BMWs. A couple of members from I know are two-up riders and find that K16 a great bike. So is the RT. In fact I was considering a GT but they were disappearing from the used market as fast as they appeared.
Since owning the Triumph I've been trying us thier forums. There's a few of them. Not as intuitive as our STOwners forum. The one forum you're dealing with Brits. Surprise.
I do enjoy this forum. I've a bunch of great riders. Very supportive.
Perhaps the next time I comment I'll maybe use IMHO. :thumb:
Dave

Well yeah that would be an option to me to just leave it there because no roadside assistance will pay to tow it hundreds of miles back home. I would probably not buy another ST1100 simply because of the age of the vehicle and parts availability. My plan is to ride it into the sunset and then when it can't go any longer to trade it. I think Phil is in a different situation than most of us here. He likes his machines. Have the time and dedication and talent to keep em running. Hat's off to him.
Time, dedication, (don't know about the talent) and the SPACE! :biggrin:
It is a labor of love (and many times frustration), but unless you can trade every few years, you will eventually end up with an old bike that needs work.
So you either trade, figure out a solution, or stop riding. ;)
When I put the 'almost' new engine in SweetTreat, it was like getting a brand new ST1100 - what a thrill!

In a manner of speaking, I replaced my ST1300 with a BMW K1600 GTL, only there was a 10-year gap in ownership due largely to back issues. Last year I found another BMW, this time a R1250 GS Adventure and it came home with me. I really liked the K1600 but I found myself riding the GSA more often so I just sold the K1600. The GSA has much better wind protection than I expected, all the farkles I need, and a gas tank that I can get 300 miles out of. However, as many of you have pointed out, it is a weird-looking duck that only a mother could love but it ticks all the boxes for me.

20221126_182327985_iOS.jpg

Ok, many here will laugh at my choice…I was in the dealership yesterday and looked around. Lots of nice hardware, but nothing that really gripped me (except for a new GW Tour). Anyway, when I get older and maybe can’t handle my STs as well, I’m staying with the Silverwing. I only paid $3K for it, put my top case on it (that is lighted), and 600 cc with the CVT is more than enough power for my later years. I could put a set of soft reinforced bags on it and have a long distance tourer if I want. Sounds funny maybe, but scooters do have a role in the MC world (and Honda makes some really nice ones, just sad they don’t import them to the US).

D54779D6-94DE-4CF4-B7D3-4100980CA0CD.jpeg

E3A5B425-35E1-49BC-97BD-E5CAF5178E8E.jpeg

I use all 3 bikes in a rotation to empty them of gas and refill, so the gas doesn’t oxidize over time. No bike sits for very long.

I was shopping for a CB1100 when I stumbled onto the ST1300's and got distracted.
1686219827715.png
Think if I am ever ST-less I would likely resume shopping for one. Locally low mile, un abused, well cared for CB1100's are selling at what seems low asking prices. Luggage rack with a
passenger backrest and toss-over soft bags would complete the package.

I am trying to resurrect my ST1300 because I miss it, but for now my replacement (as many of you know by now) is my VFR1200X Crosstourer.

20230526_140104.jpg

When someone works out how to take the VFR's DCT gearbox and mate it to the ST1300's engine... that will be my replacement bike. :headbang:

Yes to the VFR1200X! I have one, and have often said its a great alternative to the ST. However, BMW's 1250 RT is also very viable. Compared to the ST, it's lighter, and has a plethora of bells and whistles.

I was shopping for a CB1100 when I stumbled onto the ST1300's and got distracted.
View attachment 314071
Think if I am ever ST-less I would likely resume shopping for one. Locally low mile, un abused, well cared for CB1100's are selling at what seems low asking prices. Luggage rack with a
passenger backrest and toss-over soft bags would complete the package.

You know, you can have both! I do. Ferret did until his ST had an unfortunate end.

I don't understand why the VFR1200X Crosstourer didn't sell better here. Great bike, great engine, decent ergo's. They could have turned that into a world-class tourer by adding panniers and cruise control. It would have been on my shortlist for sure. Instead, Honda is trying to fulfill all engine configurations with parallel twins. Yeah, I get that it is a matter of economies of scale and emissions, but I want what I want. :)

Well, to hijack the thread for selfish reasons...sorry...
I replaced my ST1100 with a Ducati 916 back in 1995.
I replaced my ST1300 with a 2016 Yamaha FJR1300A and am very happy with the exchange

I wish one of you would replace your ST with my 2018 Yamaha FJR1300A (I don't need two)
Seems that Craig's List doesn't work any longer and I'm not willing to join Facebook.
Here's my Craig's List ad: Craig's List Ad
I'll sell to a forum member for $11,900 if interested: ST-Owners Ad

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

I got a KTM unicorn - the 1290SA T which has the almost 8 gallon fuel tank. Less weight than the ST (around 550 lbs) and MORE power as in 160HP. Wahoo!! Now to get the same moderate seat height (33.5") you'd have to get the 1290SA S. The electronics are nice - heated grips and seat, and cruise control. Lots of engine monitors, adjustable ride modes, electronically adjustable suspension. A low speed tipover doesn't result in $$$ in new plastic. It has some off pavement ability - I was able to barely ride the SoCal BDR on it but really prefer my Husky 701LR for that now. Still nice to have that ability when searching road side camp spots. My dodgy hips like the more upright seating position and lower footpegs. I still have my ST1300 as I get permanent plates in Montana and adding it to my liability insurance was just $7 per year extra. I've almost got it fixed after my garage collapsed on it and I look forward to riding it soon. So I haven't truly replaced it.

Sold my ST 1300 and ten bought it back. missed it too much. Never will leave my its home again. Too many memories with me and the wife. Now have the ST, Concours, ZRX and a KLR. None have the happy trips and personalities that the ST does.

Top Bottom