George's Spring Trip 2010

If I had to guess, I would say they ended up here.

attachment.php

I gotta go on a ride like this one. Seems like the guys camped again last night just past the small town. Explains no wifi.

Attachments

• camping2.jpg
    camping2.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 125
  • camping2a.jpg
    camping2a.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 120
You know what? I broke down and bought a GPS (a 2610, I didn't get in all the way) this year, maybe a spot next year.

This is just way too much fun.

Edit: On second thought, I'm not sure I want all youse guys to know where I am! I'm sure glad you all have them:)

I gotta go on a ride like this one. Seems like the guys camped again last night just past the small town. Explains no wifi.

I think you're just seeing some standard error in the SPOT program. Look across the street from the SPOT indicator, and there's a large building with swimming pool - probably a motel.

Looks like they must be sitting around with their toes in the sand now.. LOL

You know what? I broke down and bought a GPS (a 2610, I didn't get in all the way) this year, maybe a spot next year.

This is just way too much fun.

Edit: On second thought, I'm not sure I want all youse guys to know where I am! I'm sure glad you all have them:)

The 2610 is a very popular unit. It does many things the newer ones don't. I have a couple of them. The biggest problem with it is the lack of software updates, as you can't use the NT versions that the new ones do.

That is the one that I started with for the same reason, then went to the 2720.

I'm thinkin', lunch in Tampico and dinner/hotel in Veracruz.....
Stopping before dark is pretty important. Roads aren't so hot and you really need to see what's in front of you. Also....finding gas at night in the small towns...IS a problem. (can ya tell, I'd love to be riding this trip? LOL)

Sounds like you'd be a GREAT tour guide, Forest. Lemme know when you're gonna go again! Seriously!

Regards, John

Forest has been everywhere on scuba expeditions.. he's the man to have if you want a guide that's for sure..

Just... don't .. let .. him.. show you ... his ... toe... :eek:4: it's considered a weapon in 18 states.

LOL that toe went down on a SCUBA tour. Dropped a dive weight on that puppy years ago....and that was it. So.....it was sort of making a comeback....and ... yep ... dropped another dive weight on the gang thing. Nail is almost dead. Not a pretty sight.... :(

Looks like they stopped here for lunch...

Funny, George won't even need a ride report.. :rofl1:

Must be good food, there was a truck across the street.. :doh1:

Attachments

• stop3.jpg
    stop3.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 156
  • stop4.jpg
    stop4.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 154
John....

Ya know....maybe I'll put together a fall trip to Belize. I would use an old friend from the Yucatan as the "local" Mexican tour guide. The Gulf Coast of Mexico and the Yucatan is a very interesting place. I didn't know these guys were heading into this area of Mexico. I would have recommended these books.

These two books are an absolute must read...if you're traveling into the Yucatan area (they are good reads for anyone interested in history, exploration, culture...etc:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0486224058/ref=nosim/ecotravelsinlatiA"]Amazon.com: Incidents of Travel in Central America, Chiapas, and Yucatan (Volume 2) (9780486224053): John L. Stephens: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5153MQWZKML.@@AMEPARAM@@5153MQWZKML
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1560986514/ref=nosim/ecotravelsinlatiA/"]Amazon.com: Incidents of Travel in Yucatan (Abridged) (9781560986515): John Lloyd Stephens: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51M5AZKY4WL.@@AMEPARAM@@51M5AZKY4WL

More info and good reads here:

http://www.planeta.com/ecotravel/mexico/yucatan/tales/0502explorer.html

Forest

Looks like they stopped here for lunch...

Funny, George won't even need a ride report.. :rofl1:

Must be good food, there was a truck across the street.. :doh1:
Wow...ya know...if our Momma's had attached this SPOT technology to us, as kids......
I'm just sayin'....busted. LOL

Is there any techology in Mexico - wifi, etc - or are they "dark" until back in the States?

At least with SPOT we all know where they are/were if they get into trouble.

Is there any techology in Mexico - wifi, etc - or are they "dark" until back in the States?

At least with SPOT we all know where they are/were if they get into trouble.

George was on earlier this morning but the connection could have been spotty as he didn't post.

I have to believe there's some wifi in the bigger cities but, I have no ideas..

They've got internet all over Mexico. Internet cafes abound in almost every town. Larger hotels/resorts will almost always have WiFi....
I'm sure they will post up soon. They've lost a few days at the front end of this trip and I know it's been a struggle getting back on track. AND....once in the "third world"....things rarely go as expected. :) (sometimes things turn out better!)

Back
Top Bottom