The New Goldwing

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The ST1300 and the new wing are both 36" wide at the tips of the rearviews.
Yes, but the GW mirrors are somewhat separated from the instrument binnacle on extensions instead of being part of the fairing like the ST, perhaps the top of the dash is lower, the visual impression is that there is "less bike" out front. I noticed the same thing as Nashcat when I rode it.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
I stopped by Southern Powersports in Chattanooga this past Friday and had a good look at the new Wing. I like just about everything I saw. The new front end is very impressive... looks like the landing gear on a jet fighter! Massive steering neck, means lots of bearing surface... solid, no twitching or flexing. I loved the digital dash, but didn't take it for a spin because there were others waiting in line and I knew I was not going to pull the trigger. Well at least I didn't want to cross the line and tempt myself. The rear view mirrors folded up like most car mirrors... means tighter parking possible and also, the mirror covers will fold instead of falling off if hit. The electric latches on the trunk and the side cases was a good touch and can be locked while riding even to keep the passenger from accidentally opening with roaming hands. Many things were accessible without removing plastic, such as the transmission and oil dip sticks (older models did not have the tranny dip stick) the rear brake reservoir (I think... been a couple of days). The electric windshield would be the bomb... don't know how many times that would have come in handy in the past. The ability to bluetooth to the machine without that crazy tether is a huge plus. The compartment with the suggested phone padded cell was ok... but don't know how many folks would use that. Most would probably prefer to see it. (Although out of sight and out of mind would be tons safer) Overall, I was impressed with the machine... so much so I dared not take it for a spin. Enough said!

TPadden

Tom Padden
Bulldog.
Have you seen the price here in the UK. Ouch.
Upt'North.
From the 3 years I lived in North London; I not only can remember a Crown (or 5 bob, about $.75), I can remember when you could either buy a pint or standing room at the Royal Albert for the Supremes, or Temptations for a Crown. EVERYTHING costs more now.

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
I know we're sort of digressing but...I can remember catching a bus to the cinema, watching a flick, maybe having a fumble on the back seat, having fish and chips on the way home and all for a tanner.
They were the days.
But Honda are having a tin bath over this side of the pond on pricing.
FWIW.
Upt'North.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I test rode one this afternoon. Tour, 6 speed manual. Took it on expressway, straight two lane, curvy two lane, divided St Route 4 lane with traffic. Nice bike, but not a replacement for my ST. After the test ride, I re-rode the exact same loop with my ST and still preferred it over the wing. It was fun watching the little knuckle joints inside the fairing bobbing up and down on the wing.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Nice bike, but not a replacement for my ST. After the test ride, I re-rode the exact same loop with my ST and still preferred it over the wing.
It will be a while, but I figure the new wing will eventually replace my ST since they never updated the ST1300, but more so because they no longer even make it.

Could you be more specific about why you preferred the ST?

I bought my ST1300 without a test ride because I pretty much knew what to expect after reading a lot about it. My ride home from the dealer started out as a mild disappointment, but that faded quickly as I got the feel of the bike. Now, I'm the opposite of disappointed. I expect (hope?) my next purchase will be similar.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
It will be a while, but I figure the new wing will eventually replace my ST since they never updated the ST1300, but more so because they no longer even make it.

Could you be more specific about why you preferred the ST?
Sure. For me the new Wing is still too big, too heavy, too complicated, too touring oriented and too expensive. It was very smooth, and very powerful, and it handled well but seating position was too sit up and beg and not sporty enough for me. I don't do music, or phone or GPS or anything while I'm riding so there was a lot of screens and buttons and switches that were just superfluous. Further once I set the suspension on my bike it has basically stayed the same for the last 10 years. I haven't needed modes that I know of, or like my brother says " I don't need a computer to tell me to slow down in the rain". I liked the self cancelling turn signals and digital gear indicator, but forgot to try out the cruise, heated grips or heated seat. They would undoubtedly be nice to have as well. When I got in from the test ride I talked it over with the dealer for a bit, walked over to a new FJR sitting on the floor, climbed on it and felt immediately more comfortable with the ergos and weight of the bike. Then went out and rode my ST around the same loop I had ridden on the Wing and realized I'm more a SPORT touring guy than a sport TOURING guy. The ST/FJR falls in the first group, the Wing in the second group imo.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
^^ Good review- thanks! I agree...I like sport riding more than touring (but do like some touring type riding as well). I think an FJR would be a decent pick (rode one for 1000 miles but many years ago- 2008). The ST1100s I assume are way behind the times, but they work very well for me- no plans to trade up at this time.

Last edited:

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
Well I rode the new GW today for about an hour. It was a white DCT Tour model. This bike simply put does everything my ST does, but better. I was able to do full handlebar turns back-to-back in both directions the first time I tried. The various modes we're all very nice, I was happy with the Econo mode. The sport mode was pretty quick not sure if it is ST1300 fast but future 0-60 and quarter mile times will reveal that. By no means was I disappointed with it's speed. I took it up to about 115 and had no problem getting there. The handling was surprising. But the real surprised with this motorcycle is a front fork. It is incredibly smooth and dramatically noticeable. Much of the handling Dynamics come from this. I loved the sitting position of this motorcycle. My ST has a Rick Mayer seat, Heli risers to get close to the position of this new Goldwing, the new Goldwing is much better in my opinion. The ride this motorcycle provides is second to nothing. I was very impressed.

I played around with most of the controls if not all of them and again just for the cruise control, heated seat, heated grips and the horn that was very impressed. Those alone were not enough to purchase one but we're certainly extras that added to the overall package. One thing that didn't make any difference to me was having a stereo, nice for some but I like the quiet. The exhaust is a little throatier but not much different than the ST other than tone when you accelerate. I never replaced the horn on my St so I just accepted the lighter than what I would have liked tone and depth. The horn on this bike was loud, loud enough to startle me when I first tried it. The GPS is intuitive pretty systematic and being able to operate it not unlike a Garmin. Compared to my St the dash is pretty busy along with the handlebar and the console, but I like the layout and it will just to require some adjusting and I'm sure I'll appreciate it more. I wanted to ride the DCT to make sure if that was something I wanted or not. For me it was really nice, a bit awkward first not using a clutch, the shifting part didn't bother me. But the shifting frequency for lack of better terms did not appeal to me. The only thing that I was a little disappointed in was the 5.5 gallons of fuel. From most of what I've read the motorcycle appears to get 42 miles per gallon if you take it easy. I actually enjoyed the economy mode and my riding style is 65 miles per hour on GPS everywhere. So for me after the break-in I figure 44 to 45 miles to the gallon which will cover me. I only say this as a guesstimate because at the same speed I get 50 + MPG on the St. So with that said I ordered a red tour today. They told me I would have it before March 30th.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I'm more a SPORT touring guy than a sport TOURING guy. The ST/FJR falls in the first group, the Wing in the second group imo.
Thanks. That sounds a lot like me too.

Every bike I've had was slightly larger than the previous. And every time I've "stepped up", I've missed some of the purer motorcycle essence of the previous one. They have all been "standards" or all-purpose bikes as is the ST. I could see myself buying a wing one day, but I would probably need a second bike to re-live some of the the fun I used to have on my CB350 or CX500.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Well I rode the new GW today for about an hour. It was a white DCT Tour model. This bike simply put does everything my ST does, but better. I was able to do full handlebar turns back-to-back in both directions the first time I tried. The various modes we're all very nice, I was happy with the Econo mode. The sport mode was pretty quick not sure if it is ST1300 fast but future 0-60 and quarter mile times will reveal that. By no means was I disappointed with it's speed. I took it up to about 115 and had no problem getting there. The handling was surprising. But the real surprised with this motorcycle is a front fork. It is incredibly smooth and dramatically noticeable.
Thank you very much for probably the best and most thorough ride review I have read so far (and not a word about the luggage -thank you)

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Just got the call that mine will be in around the end of April. I inquired about the 5 year, additional service plan and got sticker shock. The cost of the 5 additional years has gone up to $1300! I asked if they were expecting them to break.

Ride Safe
John

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Just got the call that mine will be in around the end of April. I inquired about the 5 year, additional service plan and got sticker shock. The cost of the 5 additional years has gone up to $1300! I asked if they were expecting them to break.

Ride Safe
John
You can buy it any time so just shop around towards the end of the 3 year mark.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
You can buy it any time so just shop around towards the end of the 3 year mark.
Kinda like playing the stock market. Wait, and hope the price doesn't go up due to numerous claims. :eek: At my age, I'll probably wait and buy it later. Now days, buying green bananas is somewhat of a gamble.

Ride Safe
John

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Kinda like playing the stock market. Wait, and hope the price doesn't go up due to numerous claims. :eek: At my age, I'll probably wait and buy it later. Now days, buying green bananas is somewhat of a gamble.

Ride Safe
John
Or shop around for a better price. It's not usually at the place you get the bike but I have been wrong before.

Top Bottom