The New Goldwing

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
Agreed. Glad to hear about no extra tier as in phone app updates or standalone GPS pricing (though that may no longer be the case with the latter).

But if it's not an extra cost option I still have to wonder why it's a dealer 'option' instead of setup from the factory.

I still have an old garmin nüvi GPS and I really like seeing my current speed on the screen. Also it along with my two phone nav apps display ETA. Does the Honda GPS do that currently? The bike needs to know how fast it's going to calculate ETA. So the bike/GPS already 'knows' it but we need a dealer to display it?
Who knows what their logic was in having a dealership install of that function??? I agree on the Garmin Nuvi's display of your actual speed and the road you are on "speed limit".

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I agree on the Garmin Nuvi's display of your actual speed and the road you are on "speed limit".
The road you are on speed limit I found annoying. It's not always right, but more annoying, my girlfriend could see it and remind me.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
One of the reviews I saw said there was a route planning issue with the navigation software something about very limited number of way points so the gps could not be told to follow specific roads on route. A familiar moto vs car navigation difference. Had this been fixed?

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
One of the reviews I saw said there was a route planning issue with the navigation software something about very limited number of way points so the gps could not be told to follow specific roads on route. A familiar moto vs car navigation difference. Had this been fixed?
If true that would make the system unusable for me as I nearly always create specific routes using multiple waypoints to "guide" the GPS' choice of roads. Not that I have a spare CAN$ 30k burning a hole in my pocket or anything. :D

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
If true that would make the system unusable for me as I nearly always create specific routes using multiple waypoints to "guide" the GPS' choice of roads. Not that I have a spare CAN$ 30k burning a hole in my pocket or anything. :D
Yes you're not alone, if this is the case my new GL, when I'm old enough, would sprout a ram mount for my Zumo until the software was fixed!

Last edited:
Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
My father in law dropped a deposit on as new one in Edmonton, yet to be delivered. He said he had a choice of two colors, red or ? I think he opted for red. One thing he is not liking is the less storage compared to his 06 GW, but he is justifying it by saying he never had his trunks full on trips anyways. He said he is downsizing to be more like my ST. I think he has ST envy, but his short legs wont allow him to get his boots on the ground with a taller ride.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Nothing to do yesterday, so I spent a couple of hours reading the owners manual and separate navigation manual, in anticipation of my Wing arriving next month. From what I understand, the traffic and flow will be an added subscription, along with weather maps and XM radio subscriptions.

It's 246 pages of owners manual and separate 84 pages of Nav instructions. A test will be given. :)

The manuals can be found on the web by searching for "2018 GL1800 owners manual"

Ride Safe
John

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
For those who have seen the new wing, is there room for a tank bag?
I hadn't given it much thought when sitting on one but IIRC yes if it's a small one. And probably should be low profile. But I'm not a tank bag so I didn't pay it no nevermind.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It would cover the small storage compartment. The fairing is plastic and there really isn't much to fasten a tank bag to.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
As dduelin mentioned a tank bag would cover the storage compartment that sits behind the button panel. And behind that is the fuel filler door so there really isn't much space to mount a tank bag unless you're OK with covering those and moving the bag every time you want access to either. I used to have a tank bag on my ST1100, but find I really don't need it on my CTX1300 and with the front storage box and side storage compartments on the Gold Wing I wouldn't think I'd need one on that bike either. I also just never did put much in a tank bag anyway. For those who simply must have an overnight bag sitting on the "tank" there is always the option of a tail bag like I've used on my CTX.

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
I wouldn't put a tank bag on. As mentioned, it's all plastic up there and you'll cover two important compartments. With the addition of the optional rear luggage rack tho, there is ample space for dry bags. Especially if you are able to use the rear seat. I rarely have a passenger, so the rear seat is luggage space for me. I've yet to do a trial loading of a full set of gear. More complete info to come soon.

Attachments

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
The fuel fill isn't on the tank. It's under a door on the right cowl.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
My bad. The dealer at Cool Springs was telling everyone that the fuel fill was under that door.

John

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The ability to mount it may/could be a challenge. But the tradeoff between having a tank bag and not having immediate access to the compartments is extra capacity. I didn't open the compartment so it's capacity is unknown to me.

Access to fuel might be too annoying a trade off. Some riders already deal with that on other bikes especially with Motech bags.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
The road you are on speed limit I found annoying. It's not always right, but more annoying, my girlfriend could see it and remind me.
All our car GPS do that and it really makes it difficult at times.

Top Bottom