The New Goldwing

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
. Good point. My st13 is 10klm fas at at 120 klm My 05 Altima was 6klm fast. But 2015 Accord is spot on with Garmin gps. Wonder if new Honda bikes are also closer / accurate?
My 2012 NC had and my 2015 NC700X has an almost spot on speedometer.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I wonder if they ever thought about adding a GPS speedometer to the GPS screen. It would be accurate at no extra cost.

John

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Just sat on both versions. Goldwing/DCT and Goldwing Tour/manual. VERY nice. Felt and looked great. No longer feels like you are sitting on a piece of furniture.

I'm not shopping, but will ride one (DCT) when they get a demo in.

Bag capacity looked sad, as many have said. They worked well though, with a push of a button. Only negative that I noticed, other than no 300 mile range that I'm used to.

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I wonder if they ever thought about adding a GPS speedometer to the GPS screen. It would be accurate at no extra cost.

John
I have the GPS Navi Manual and on page 31 under "Speed & Flow" the dealer can add that to the GPS screen if I am reading that correctly.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I have the GPS Navi Manual and on page 31 under "Speed & Flow" the dealer can add that to the GPS screen if I am reading that correctly.
That sure seems like something that should be displayed by default. Doesn't every standalone (and phone app) GPS show your speed?

Or at worst the manual should give DIY instructions for adding.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I think anyone can add it, just basic setup preferences I think.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I can see where the learning curve for the electronics may be longer than a MSF riding course...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Mellow said:
I think anyone can add it
I'm not so sure. It says consult your local dealer for details and of the four options shown only Speed and Flow is grayed out so the check box appears to be uncheckable.

I'm wondering if Flow refers to traffic flow. That's often an extra cost option or feature included in a higher price tier. That might be why the 'local dealer' notation.

All the above leads me to believe the Speed and Flow option will cost a bit extra. Including the speedo reading is a carrot/stick kind of move.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I don't believe I would want it to do the speed thing? I tend to ride a little fast and see no need in storing such numbers for LE to use against me at a later date! Of course, most of the new bikes probably keep that data in a black box somewhere anyway. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if my "06 doesn't store that info!

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I was talking to a prosecutor in state court who used the GPS history that included a speed log for the entire trip to make a manslaughter case against a driver who was later involved in a wreck.

Bike
GL1800-2012
Well I rode the new GW today for about an hour. It was a white DCT Tour model. This bike simply put does everything my ST does, but better. I was able to do full handlebar turns back-to-back in both directions the first time I tried. The various modes we're all very nice, I was happy with the Econo mode. The sport mode was pretty quick not sure if it is ST1300 fast but future 0-60 and quarter mile times will reveal that. By no means was I disappointed with it's speed. I took it up to about 115 and had no problem getting there. The handling was surprising. But the real surprised with this motorcycle is a front fork. It is incredibly smooth and dramatically noticeable. Much of the handling Dynamics come from this. I loved the sitting position of this motorcycle. My ST has a Rick Mayer seat, Heli risers to get close to the position of this new Goldwing, the new Goldwing is much better in my opinion. The ride this motorcycle provides is second to nothing. I was very impressed.

I played around with most of the controls if not all of them and again just for the cruise control, heated seat, heated grips and the horn that was very impressed. Those alone were not enough to purchase one but we're certainly extras that added to the overall package. One thing that didn't make any difference to me was having a stereo, nice for some but I like the quiet. The exhaust is a little throatier but not much different than the ST other than tone when you accelerate. I never replaced the horn on my St so I just accepted the lighter than what I would have liked tone and depth. The horn on this bike was loud, loud enough to startle me when I first tried it. The GPS is intuitive pretty systematic and being able to operate it not unlike a Garmin. Compared to my St the dash is pretty busy along with the handlebar and the console, but I like the layout and it will just to require some adjusting and I'm sure I'll appreciate it more. I wanted to ride the DCT to make sure if that was something I wanted or not. For me it was really nice, a bit awkward first not using a clutch, the shifting part didn't bother me. But the shifting frequency for lack of better terms did not appeal to me. The only thing that I was a little disappointed in was the 5.5 gallons of fuel. From most of what I've read the motorcycle appears to get 42 miles per gallon if you take it easy. I actually enjoyed the economy mode and my riding style is 65 miles per hour on GPS everywhere. So for me after the break-in I figure 44 to 45 miles to the gallon which will cover me. I only say this as a guesstimate because at the same speed I get 50 + MPG on the St. So with that said I ordered a red tour today. They told me I would have it before March 30th.
Congrats on the GW1833! I absolutely love mine. You picked the slower color, Hawkseye Pearl Blue is the fastest color:)
The DCT is totally new to me, as I have never owned or driven a DCT on any bike. It takes a lil bit to get used too, but you won't miss the clutch shifting for long. The shift paddles are great too, should the DCT pick a gear which you don't like you are in control with the flick of your gear choice. I too was very impressed with the front end revamp, the instrument cluster was a tad over whelming, but now I can take a quick peep at what peaks my curiosity and back to the road (now that I know what section of the screen to look at). Sport mode is not good for parking lots or slow speed maneuvering the throttle is like a hair trigger:eek: ask me how I know. Well enjoy your new ride!

Bike
GL1800-2012
Just got the call that mine will be in around the end of April. I inquired about the 5 year, additional service plan and got sticker shock. The cost of the 5 additional years has gone up to $1300! I asked if they were expecting them to break.

Ride Safe
John
You know the saying"If ya wanna play with the big boys ya gotta pay to play!" Yes, I to was shocked at the cost for the ext warranty but on a 1st year production bike with tons of electrical tech plus canbus I opted to moan as I signed the check for the warranty:cool:
Enjoy the new GW1833 and ride it like ya stole it!

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
You know the saying"If ya wanna play with the big boys ya gotta pay to play!" Yes, I to was shocked at the cost for the ext warranty but on a 1st year production bike with tons of electrical tech plus canbus I opted to moan as I signed the check for the warranty:cool:
Enjoy the new GW1833 and ride it like ya stole it!
I'll probably get the extended coverage after I ride it a while, just to make sure that I like it. :). The $1300 cost would be justified with one major repair.

John

Bike
GL1800-2012
I'll probably get the extended coverage after I ride it a while, just to make sure that I like it. :). The $1300 cost would be justified with one major repair.

John
I agree with you, between shop labor and mark up on parts having the ext warranty is the most sane way to go.

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I'm not so sure. It says consult your local dealer for details and of the four options shown only Speed and Flow is grayed out so the check box appears to be uncheckable.

I'm wondering if Flow refers to traffic flow. That's often an extra cost option or feature included in a higher price tier. That might be why the 'local dealer' notation.

All the above leads me to believe the Speed and Flow option will cost a bit extra. Including the speedo reading is a carrot/stick kind of move.
The new GW comes with 8 yrs. of maps at no cost. There is no tier. I brought it up at the dealership and he said he wasn't versed enough on it yet to define "Speed & Flow". He said he has updates for the GPS and said it is likely in there. So it's still a mystery as to what it specifically defines. I hope it has a GPS speed readout on the Navi screen, I would follow that before the speedo.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Gug said:
I hope it has a GPS speed readout on the Navi screen, I would follow that before the speedo.
Agreed. Glad to hear about no extra tier as in phone app updates or standalone GPS pricing (though that may no longer be the case with the latter).

But if it's not an extra cost option I still have to wonder why it's a dealer 'option' instead of setup from the factory.

I still have an old garmin nüvi GPS and I really like seeing my current speed on the screen. Also it along with my two phone nav apps display ETA. Does the Honda GPS do that currently? The bike needs to know how fast it's going to calculate ETA. So the bike/GPS already 'knows' it but we need a dealer to display it?

Top Bottom