Setting Up A Chinavasion Rage GPS

Different topic re the Rage GPS:
Has anyone opened up the case yet? My slot for the micro SD has stopped retaining the card. It won't latch, the card springs back.
I bought it in October but I'm not entertaining the idea of returning it. Chinavision support wants me to send a video of it, not working.
How complicated is it to understand? The card won't stay in. :)
I've read up on tablets, etc. where the little coil spring has come out of place. But the Rage has a lot of little rubber caps, about 2 - 3 mm diameter. Assuming there are screws under each of those and not sure if I would even be able to get at the card slot mechanism for a look.

Thanks for the head start Phil. I'll be downloading that baby tonight. I am using Primo 2.4. Finally used it "for real" to plot a 400 km trip last Saturday. Up to now I've just been commuting places I already know to see how it functions. It offered some weird directions until I ignored it for about 4 of those at right angles in the wrong direction. Then it finally stopped doing that and got back on track to my final destination. And the Places search couldn't find a few common towns within 40 km of me, along the highway I was on.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Midlifemike,
do you have the North American maps from IGO8? and have you transferred them to the right folders? Mine seems to be working rather well on the 2.4 and 1.9 Primo

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Mike - Just shoot a little video of putting the card in and it jumping out. They usually create a RMA after they get it so you can return it (I've done two returns). The return process is about 60-90 days from start to finish. BTW, the Rage should have enough internal memory to run IGO8 or PRIMO. IIRC, the device shows up as two distinct disk drives, the lower 'letter' being the internal memory. You would just copy the software to that drive and change the nav path to it. I opened the case on the Peaklife but have not opened the case on the Rage.

Here is an inside look at the Rage. I opened it up to see what could be done about my micro SD card socket that would not latch. The last thing I found when buttoning up the case was a tiny, tiny bit of metal debris that I could have easily overlooked if it had not slid into view as I tilted the case. That "debris" is about 1 mm x 2 mm x 3 mm and has cast and cut features on it, so I am thinking it is the latch. I didn't take a picture of it but I have kept it for later examination. By then I had my own fix in place and doubted it would be worth the bother to find out where it belonged and if it was missing part of its shape in order to function.

A few comments:
Every one of those little 3 mm (1/8") diameter black rubber buttons, or plugs, on the back is covering a screw that will need to be backed out to open the case. Every screw threads into a metal insert on the front of the case. Nice. I like that they took the trouble to use inserts instead of just threading into plastic. The two black screws that hold the rubber cover for the ports are threaded into the plastic case, no metal inserts for those.

I pried into the buttons with a tiny screw driver with a flat blade of about 1.5 mm (1/16") across (shown). I teased up a bit to raise it and then used fine smooth jawed pliers (shown) to pull the plugs up. The screws were no trouble to back out as long as firm pressure down on the head is used to avoid rounding out the heads. You can see the screw driver I used. About half of the screws would not come out of the recesses but they were not an obstacle to getting the case apart as long as they were reversed as much as possible. They are deep in the recesses.

The case halves are nice and tight for sure. I started to split them by putting a large, broad flat screwdriver in the recessed gap at the top center edge of the case - the hard plastic. Probably a small coin would work too. Rotate or twist and that's enough to get it to split. Go easy and check for any screws that are not all the way out of their threads. I only had 1 of the 12 screws that needed to be backed out more with some help from holding the case halves apart. All 12 of the screws for the case are the same size so no need to lay out an illustrated card to arrange them for reassembly like I did.

There seems to be a lot of empty space inside. Not much to see and plenty of room to operate. Right away I could understand why the card has to be inserted so deep. Simply because the circuit board was left with a straight edge in a curved case. That gap between the inside of the case and the micro SD socket must be about 6 or 7 mm (1/4"). That actually worked in my favour because I used that gap to insert a plastic shim which retains my card in the socket (the white plastic strip in the last image). Since I can read and write to card via USB to my computer, this is a satisfactory solution.

The perimeter sealing gasket is a nice piece of work too. It is soft, probably silicone. It has a fine slit so there are actually two sides that slip over the thin raised edge of the plastic case. The parts where it runs over a screw insert are cupped so they fit over the insert "towers" and everything lines up correctly before it is time to close the case.

I turned on the Rage while I had it apart to make sure the card was being read before I closed it up. I'm pretty happy with the results for an hour's easy time.

Rage_GPS_case_separated.jpgRage_GPS_inside_case.jpgRage_GPS_inside_gap_to_card_bay.jpgRage_GPS_inside_blocking_shim.jpg

Last edited:

v8-7

Site Supporter
Nice pics..
i pulled mine apart a few months ago to replace the battery , but I couldn't find a replacement.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just run into an issue with a 'gen 2' 5 inch unit. It seems it will run IGO8 but it does not want to run Primo 2.4 Motorcycle edition. The three 'gen 1's I have run Primo just fine. I've got a trouble ticket in to Chinavasion on it so we'll see what they changed!

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Just run into an issue with a 'gen 2' 5 inch unit. It seems it will run IGO8 but it does not want to run Primo 2.4 Motorcycle edition. The three 'gen 1's I have run Primo just fine. I've got a trouble ticket in to Chinavasion on it so we'll see what they changed!
Hey Phil. That's a little troubling considering I'm about to pull the trigger on the 5" unit to run Primo 2.4.

Is the one now listed on the Chinavision site the Gen2? What issue are you having? Did the 'gen2' run iGO8 ok?

Last edited:

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
I have the same one and set up on my FJR1300 and going to take it for a ride for the first time. Will let you know how it goes. I have IGO8 in mine which seems to run ok at the moment.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes that is the Gen 2. It appears that they reduced the internal memory from Gen 1 to Gen 2. I have been able to run IGO8 but not Primo 2.4 which is a real bummer now that I have been using Primo. Why they would reduce the memory in this day of memory intensive apps is beyond me. If I find a solution I will post it, but I'm probably out of luck on Primo.

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Yes that is the Gen 2. It appears that they reduced the internal memory from Gen 1 to Gen 2. I have been able to run IGO8 but not Primo 2.4 which is a real bummer now that I have been using Primo. Why they would reduce the memory in this day of memory intensive apps is beyond me. If I find a solution I will post it, but I'm probably out of luck on Primo.
That's crazy! From 256MB to 128MB? Maybe I'll just go with iGO8... can't miss what you never had.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I don't have the answer back yet from Chinavasion, but it looks like it has same amount of internal ram as the Rage which runs PRIMO - unless they reduced the memory in the later versions of the Rage also. I did get IGO8 up and running and it seems to do well.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Here's what is interesting - the Rage and the 5" both say that they have 128mb ram and 4GB of internal memory on the spec sheets. From what I can find so far, PRIMO is supposed be able to run in 64mb (at least earlier versions). So now I am really confused! :confused: Maybe Chinavasion Support will have an answer.

Bike
ST1300
I have just bought a 5" and it runs Primo 2.4 without any problems. Are you sure the problem with the "motorcycle edition" (I take it that is the skin from motor-forum.nl?) isn't due to the resolution of 800x480? According to it's description on the Dutch forum the skin doesn't support this resolution.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just got this back from Chinavasion -

Dear Phillip,
Thank you for your reply.
This is for your kind information:
-CVUG-TR58 has Internal Memory: 4GB
-CVUG-TR58-2GEN has Internal Memory: 8GB

So it appears that they actually increased the 'memory'. But I think the 'memory' in this case is the internal storage as they list the RAM (memory to me) as 128mb. Now I am really confused! And with Pieterv's post I am even more confused as to why it would run on Gen 1 but not Gen 2 if all they did was increase the internal storage.

Bike
ST1300
Pieterv - Hmm, that's interesting. Could you give me the link to the Dutch forum? Are you running the Motorcycle mods or just straight Primo 2.4?
Kiltman was quicker! (Thanks)

I am running straight Primo as the mod doesn't support my resolution.

Top Bottom