Are BMW's Overrated ?

The turn button on the ST wouldn't be so bad, but like he said, it positioning is awkward and especially difficult when you wear gloves.[/QUOTE]

Yep! Wrong position, wrong shape.:shout1:

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
My Wing had self cancelling blinkers... hated thim :cool: I like to push buttons anyway... like peoples... elevators... blinkers... belly.

That's what's so great about motorcycles... and buttons. There are so many choices to be had... you can find the motorcycle that pushes your button, even if it doesn't push someone else's :)

Isn't life grand :p:

Bike
2008 BMW GS Adv
My Wing had self cancelling blinkers... hated thim :cool: I like to push buttons anyway... like peoples... elevators... blinkers... belly.

That's what's so great about motorcycles... and buttons. There are so many choices to be had... you can find the motorcycle that pushes your button, even if it doesn't push someone else's :)

Aint it though!

last one I saw was at gas pumps and running while pumping, so I told the guy to shut it down and he said he couldn't because it probably would not re-start as the ignition switch was shorting out. It was a 2008 model and worth $27,000 cdn. thanks but no thanks

STOC #
You must have a model where the signals cancel. My BMW RT did not [and neither did 3 other BMWs I rode]. Which is another reason why Kisan SignalMinder is a popular upgrade for BMW riders.

All R series and K series bikes have self canceling turn signals since 2005. They are distance based as well.

Charlie

Rider
Bike
R1200RT

Best post in this thread yet. :bow1:

cali_rider

Metric Bike Renegade
All R series and K series bikes have self canceling turn signals since 2005. They are distance based as well.
even some older models have it as well. My 02 K1200RS has them. Personally I dont find them all that needed on the BMW's becasue they display is so easily seen in all lighting conditions. It was the ST1300 that needed it more than any bike I have been on. The diplay was so darn hard to see in bright sunlight along with a tiny indicator, it made the need for them. Also, the thumb canceling button was a pain in the arse.

cali_rider

Metric Bike Renegade
If you had owned the ST1300 for long enough to log any miles and get used to it maybe the switch would have been "really good". :p:
Funny, I logged in thousands of miles on my ST. Enough to know it wasnt a very good bike and more than enough to know it wasnt getting any better. If it were only turn signals that I didnt like, I would have kept it. However my resons for departing were a combination of things. All things that people associate to Honda never seemed to apply to mine. Low, inexpensive maintenance? Nope, not even close the BMW service is alot cheaper. Trouble free? Nope, as ironic as it is my final drive leaked. Perform flawlessly? not on mine, the lean surge not only drove me up a wall but felt unsafe. You would think Honda could get that right especially with their so called advance technology...LOL Factor in my nut burning heat, more than I have ever felt on a bike, a display that cant be seen in sunlight, a horrible suspension, peg grinding constantly, unstable above 80mph... and there you have it. Personally, I have never experienced anything like that on any of my BMW's let alone all on one bike. To answer the question of this thread, I dont find BMW's over-rated, I do find the new ones along with almost all motorcycles with the exception of a few to be overpriced. Do BMW's have problems? sure but so did my Honda. Do BMW's ride, handle better than the Honda? depends on your opinion since as you can see there are some die hard Honda guys here. In my opinion my ST never amounted to anythign close to any of my BMW's. I just bought a new bike on a tight budget and the ST1300 was nowhere on my list of bikes I would consider. I had a shadow 1100 that was a very good bike and left me with a good impression of Honda bikes and I spent some time on a VFR800 that left me with a good impression. My St1300 was not a good bike. Other than a good motor, it did nothing well for me.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Okay.. I'll finish it.... Yes, BMWs are overrated... so are Hondas, Suzukis, Yamahas and Harleys LOL.

I agree w/Charlie, Rob's post was the best..

jdaniels

R.I.P. - 2010/08/27
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05ST1300'02FZ1
STOC #
I reckon I'm too easy to please.I feel that no matter what the brand,the bikes built now (even the less spendy ones) are way faster,more reliable,more durable and require less maintenance than the bikes I grew up on.I'm not that hard to please.When I'm riding down the hiway on a bike,life is grand.I'd probably like the BMW and if I had the coin I might even buy it,but the bikes I now have are so much better than any I ever thought I'd own.I'm a happy camper. :)

STOC #
Well, it's Sunday night, the kid's in bed and now is the time to sit down and chill with some of the best buds on the net... the ST-Owners.com community. Even though it has been almost 3 years since parting ways with my ST1300 I still visit this site because it is one of the best Sport Touring sites on the web for me, mainly because Mellow keeps it fair and balanced... that said, this is directed to Cali Rider... dude, I get where you are coming from on some of the ST1300s faults, but no bike, even those made by the Roundel set, is perfect. The guys here are going to get you down the road on turn signals, final drive failures, cost of maintenance, etc. for owning a BMW. Some are just going to egg you on and you have to have a pretty thick skin to take some of it. But seriously, I wouldn't take any of it to heart... you have a great bike (a K1200RS, in the best paint scheme... I rode one and it is a rocket ship), so don't fret. You are in their playhouse here, just relax and chill out and enjoy the company.

You and me will keep it our secret that the Beemer spanks the ST1300 everyday of the week, right? ; )

Have fun everyone and in closing... have a Great Christmas this coming week and Happy New Year everyone....

P.S. - To Bones... can't wait to read your latest article... and also... three button turn signals RULE... Ha!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Nicely done... butter my up then compliment all the ST owners here then.... wait for it .... wait for it... zing!!!!.. LOL

STOC #
Nicely done... butter my up then compliment all the ST owners here then.... wait for it .... wait for it... zing!!!!.. LOL
All in fun Mellow... BTW... eight weeks and counting to D-Day (delivery day that is...) Went riding today... not too bad... only 45 degrees... ice storm two days before, so watching for trouble in the roads, but all melted by today... trying to get as much riding time in before the boy gets here and the RT starts to get lonely in the garage. I think I am going to have to get a hack.

Hey, you up for the Blue Ridge Gathering coming this year in 2010? I think I will have earned up a hall pass by then and will try to make it.

See you down the road, Mellow and others.

If my final drive doesn't fail me... Ha!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
All in fun Mellow... BTW... eight weeks and counting to D-Day (delivery day that is...) Went riding today... not too bad... only 45 degrees... ice storm two days before, so watching for trouble in the roads, but all melted by today... trying to get as much riding time in before the boy gets here and the RT starts to get lonely in the garage. I think I am going to have to get a hack.

Hey, you up for the Blue Ridge Gathering coming this year in 2010? I think I will have earned up a hall pass by then and will try to make it.

See you down the road, Mellow and others.

If my final drive doesn't fail me... Ha!
Your family is in our prayers. I will do my best to make the BRG in 2010.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I'm surprised the picture of the spare final drive in my saddle bag at LDDave's December BBQ RTE hasn't shown up on this site yet. I was certain it would. :)
Then we'd have to post the usual winter pictures of green puddles beneath the STs... ;)

cali_rider

Metric Bike Renegade
Well, it's Sunday night, the kid's in bed and now is the time to sit down and chill with some of the best buds on the net... the ST-Owners.com community. Even though it has been almost 3 years since parting ways with my ST1300 I still visit this site because it is one of the best Sport Touring sites on the web for me, mainly because Mellow keeps it fair and balanced... that said, this is directed to Cali Rider... dude, I get where you are coming from on some of the ST1300s faults, but no bike, even those made by the Roundel set, is perfect. The guys here are going to get you down the road on turn signals, final drive failures, cost of maintenance, etc. for owning a BMW. Some are just going to egg you on and you have to have a pretty thick skin to take some of it. But seriously, I wouldn't take any of it to heart... you have a great bike (a K1200RS, in the best paint scheme... I rode one and it is a rocket ship), so don't fret. You are in their playhouse here, just relax and chill out and enjoy the company.

You and me will keep it our secret that the Beemer spanks the ST1300 everyday of the week, right? ; )

Have fun everyone and in closing... have a Great Christmas this coming week and Happy New Year everyone....

P.S. - To Bones... can't wait to read your latest article... and also... three button turn signals RULE... Ha!

I am actually pretty mellow posting here. I understand some of the things I write may come off abrasive, almost argumentative but I guess I lack that aspect in my writings. I am actually quite mellow when posting. I have pretty thick skin, heck I still come on here dont I? I am not here to create a, "Holy Grail" image for BMW. They have their faults. My perspective is simply that I tried the ST and I dont share the same feeling for the bike, nor did I have the same experience. When someone criticizes how little time I owned one I actually put several thousand miles on it and the many reasons why I chose to depart. As BMW bias I may seem on here, I am actually a fan of many brands and models. Heck, I bought an ST and gave it a chance. I even came close to buying a blackbird over my RS. Ultimately I bought the RS for its more touring orientation stock. BTW, the RS is an awesome bike. However I hate to dissapoint you, my RS is the solid black. I have never been a fan of the zebra configurations. Speaking of BMW faults, I have never been a big fan of their colors. However the RS is in my favorite color, solid black.

Charlie

Rider
Bike
R1200RT
Then we'd have to post the usual winter pictures of green puddles beneath the STs... ;)
I fixed that by getting a bike that doesn't use coolant at all. Now instead of green puddles, I just have to worry about red puddles. :D

Top Bottom