Best tires for ST1300 in 2022

Bike
2012 ST1300A
Hello.
Besides the OEM Bridgestone BATTLAX BT-020, I have been considering the newer models however - Bridgestone BATTLAX T32 GT, Dunlop RoadSmart 4
Has anyone replaced tires on their ST1300 recently? Which brand/model you went with and are you happy with your selection?
Thank you.

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
I have been hooked on the latest Bridgestones for the last 10 years or so. I love the new T32GTs. They wear even and handle great. That said, on my last rear tire I only got 4700 miles, but it was mostly 2 up or fairly aggressive riding. Bridgestones are also one of the cheapest tires out there.

OP
OP
Bike
2012 ST1300A
I have been hooked on the latest Bridgestones for the last 10 years or so. I love the new T32GTs. They wear even and handle great. That said, on my last rear tire I only got 4700 miles, but it was mostly 2 up or fairly aggressive riding. Bridgestones are also one of the cheapest tires out there.
Thank you.

NobodySpecial

Site Supporter
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Two things:

1. There are two types of questions that lead to threads that aren't typically very useful: "What's the best oil", and "what's the best tire?"
2. Almost literally any tire you can buy today that will fit is superior than tires from 10 years ago.
3. What I like and what I care about isn't what others like or care about. The roads around here might eat up tires and I might be a more aggressive rider so mileage reports are almost literally useless. I encourage you to review the many, many threads on tires. If you find you get similar mileage to another rider, sometimes you can use their experience as useful data. Just as often not. :-(

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I tried the T31 GTs when they were the latest and greatest. They were okay but I wasn't happy with their longevity. I also tried the BT020's since they were OEM spec. They were just okay as well. Right now I have a Bridgestone Exedra on the rear and a Dunlop Roadsmart III on the front hoping to get more longevity at a reasonable cost. We'll see. The up side of the tires not lasting that long is you get to try a lot of options :).

skidgillen

Site Supporter
Bike
2005 ST1300PA
I installed some new Battlax T32GT tires on the ST1300 today. And here is a record of the tires I've put on it since I bought the bike in 2015.

Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT. -(installed 2015) 6843 miles
Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT. -(installed 2017). 6281 miles
Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart 3. -(installed 2018). 9664 miles
Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart 3. -(installed 2019). 9956 mies
Bridgestone Battlax T32 GT. (installed 2021). miles TBD
UPDATE:
Bridgestone Battlax T32 GT. (installed 2021). 7336 miles
Bridgestone Battlax T32 GT. (installed 2022). 8509 miles

Looks like I might be going back to Dunlop Roadsmarts.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Perfect example. @skidgillen seems to be going for longest life in miles. When I had my 1300, I was looking for best wet traction (I dislike riding in the rain) and liked a review or two that touted Pirelli Angel GT's*. I bought two sets, but now they are mfr'ed in (I think) China. Mileage for me was secondary. Literally, YMMV.

*I felt very secure on those tires - and discovered if I was on the wrong line or a little fast in a corner all I needed to do was lean it over a bit more. Probably as much the bike as the tire, but the combo was perfect for me.

The choices seem to be thinning for the 1300. Got a Dunlop roadsmart 3 on now, and a set of prg4 in shop for next year's tour.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Do Michelin Road 6 come in ST1300 sizes? great tyres for the wet, GT version to suit the ST. Expensive though but anywhere you are riding on cold wet roads they are great to have.

skidgillen

Site Supporter
Bike
2005 ST1300PA
Perfect example. @skidgillen seems to be going for longest life in miles. When I had my 1300, I was looking for best wet traction (I dislike riding in the rain) and liked a review or two that touted Pirelli Angel GT's*. I bought two sets, but now they are mfr'ed in (I think) China. Mileage for me was secondary. Literally, YMMV.

*I felt very secure on those tires - and discovered if I was on the wrong line or a little fast in a corner all I needed to do was lean it over a bit more. Probably as much the bike as the tire, but the combo was perfect for me.
Bridgestone's had the best continued grip, wet and dry, throughout their life. Dunlop's at the end of their life felt terrible but only at the very end, and the Michelin's front tire cupped bad early. Bridgestone GT rear is extremely hard to mount. I got a set of Dunlop RS 3's for under $250 and plan to mount those this weekend, and when those are toast I'll probably go to the RS 4's.

Im looking for a new rear tire too. I was using the michelin GT4, but i cant find one anywhere. I was getting 10k miles. Everything else is more $$ and less mileage. . GT5 i heard only gets about 5k miles. True?

Bike
2007 ST1300
Im looking for a new rear tire too. I was using the michelin GT4, but i cant find one anywhere. I was getting 10k miles. Everything else is more $$ and less mileage. . GT5 i heard only gets about 5k miles. True?
I get about the same out of Michelin Road GT4 and GT5s. About 6000 miles on the rear, double on the front. I just put on a new GT4 because it was over $100 cheaper than the GT5. Quite different tread design, though.

How about mix matching? My front, michelin gt4, has a lot of tread left. And the dunlop roadsmart 4? I cant find any GT4's. Or should i just stick with GT and get the GT5?

Top Bottom